IOS Reassurance please

My niece just got back from the Canaries on Indy and apparently hardly anyone dressed up on formal nights, when we sailed on Indy 2 years ago about 75% were dressed up. Apparently this time most people were still in jeans and even shorts/flip flops even in MDR. I love the rare chance to dress up and see husband in tux, we are on 2nd June Italian med and want to know I won't be the only one in "posh frock"

Thanks everyone

Hi

Hopefully I can put your mind at rest, we sailed on The Indy in October/November 2011 on a canaries cruise.

I would say on all of the formal nights, 80% + were in true formal wear with the remainder in very smart casual.

I never saw anyone in the MDR in jeans, shorts flip flops etc so I think those that didnt want to dress up, went to the WJ or JR.

We loved The Indy so much we booked again for the TA in November.

Hope this helps :)

Nelly, we were on the April 22nd Canaries cruise and we found that the majority of people were "dressed up", with the men in either the full get up or (as in my husband's case) in dark suits and the ladies in their posh frocks. I'm not sure what was going on with your nieces cruise! We were on late sitting for dinner in the MDR but I'm not sure that would make a difference. We did miss the first formal night - feeling very sorry for ourselves in our cabin during the hurricane lol........but apparently everything went ahead as normal but with about half the normal amount of people! They don't actually allow shorts in the MDR so she may be confused.

Gill

Hello,

We were on the 4 nighter cruise to Cork on May 5th 2012. On the formal night i would say 80-85% were in formal dress and even on the smart casual night people really made an effort.

Certainly did not see jeans in the MDR on the formal night. There were about 500 kids onboard this cruise and most of them were even dressed up.

You will have nothing to worry about.

Steven

:D

My niece just got back from the Canaries on Indy and apparently hardly anyone dressed up on formal nights, when we sailed on Indy 2 years ago about 75% were dressed up. Apparently this time most people were still in jeans and even shorts/flip flops even in MDR. I love the rare chance to dress up and see husband in tux, we are on 2nd June Italian med and want to know I won't be the only one in "posh frock"

Thanks everyone

I doubt for one moment you'll be the only ones dressed up formally so don’t worry about that. All I will say is, I think you are creating a problem here and the word snob comes to mind.

There is nothing which says all guests have to dress up on formal nights.

Do you expect the cruise lines to lock people in their rooms or something so people like you are not put out or something?

Have you just got off the Titanic?!

Cruising styles have changed and personally, I think as long people look smart this is acceptable nowadays. I realize some people will still wear inappropriate clothing etc but it’s up to the cruise line to police this not you or anyone else. If it really bothers you so much I suggest you book with

P & O as you won’t feel out of place with normal people!

Thanks everyone

I doubt for one moment you'll be the only ones dressed up formally so don’t worry about that. All I will say is, I think you are creating a problem here and the word snob comes to mind.

Do you expect the cruise lines to lock people in their rooms or something so people like you are not put out or something?

Cruising styles have changed and personally, I think as long people look smart this is acceptable nowadays. I realize some people will still wear inappropriate clothing etc but it’s up to the cruise line to police this not you or anyone else. If it really bothers you so much I suggest you book with

I find your post quite offensive , I agree with Gilpet that on our 22nd April cruise most people were dressed in formal wear and we were on MTD and chose to eat early .I dressed appropriately as did 90% of other cruisers , I only witnessed a few who chose to wear jeans and t shirts , you are right in saying it's their choice , it's not company policy but if they allow them to dine on formal night in that dress code then that's up to royal ,it did not spoil my formal evening experience in the slightest and if you read the poster correctly she was asking if she would be outnumbered by dressing in formal , not once did she disagree with people who chose not to dress formaly .I am by no means a snob but I do like to dress according to the companies guidelines , if I didn't then I would eat in the windjammer where the company policy is casual .

Thanks everyone

:eek: :eek: How rude....Op wasnt suggesting that everyone should dress up, just worrying that she would look out of place....You need to get a life!

Thanks everyone

Marley-bop and Lottycruiser you beat me to it. What a rude person who didn't even bother to read the original post correctly!! When somebody asks a question it is because they hope others will share their experiences, they are not inviting you to be rude and insulting. The OP was expressing the desire to be able to dress up on formal nights without feeling out of place and I agree with her entirely. I suggest Andy 72, that if you can't answer a question helpfully that you keep your insults to yourself.

Ladies, the word troll springs to mind.......he's just posting to wind everybody up.

Gill

I'm just of the 9th May sailing and when I was in the MDR on formal nights everyone was dressed up. I know a few people on board didn't want to dress formal so they ate in the Windjammer. We had 3 Formal nights which I thought was to many on a 10 day cruise

Thanks everyone

Andy72, honestly, is a post like this really necessary? Does it make you feel better about yourself? If you are unable to 'help' then please keep your comments to yourself?

Nelly55, I went on your cruise last year and mostly everyone dressed up. You do worry for a minute when you leave your room, "am I over dressed" but as soon as you reach the promenade you suddenly feel at home as everyone is dressed up and in the spirit. I am going on the cruise straight after yours and I have 3 dresses to take this year! Enjoy your cruise and dressing up on formal nights!

Thanks everyone

There are 4 of us on your cruise we will be in kilts and long frocks!!!!!!

I'll try and look out for you, do you wear the frocks over the kilts??

lol

Lol....I like your style Nelly........but if they do I think they really would be over-dressed!

Nelly, have you joined the roll call for your sailing....I know it's a very lively one so why not pop in and have a chat with everyone, and don't forget to sign up for the meet and mingle.

Gill

Marley-bop and Lottycruiser you beat me to it. What a rude person who didn't even bother to read the original post correctly!! When somebody asks a question it is because they hope others will share their experiences, they are not inviting you to be rude and insulting. The OP was expressing the desire to be able to dress up on formal nights without feeling out of place and I agree with her entirely. I suggest Andy 72, that if you can't answer a question helpfully that you keep your insults to yourself.

Ladies, the word troll springs to mind.......he's just posting to wind everybody up.

Gill

We came of the May Cork cruise and to be honest we dressed up and were with a group of friends so went to Chops. There was a mixture of codes of dress there.

At the end of the day people will do what they want to do. I still like dressing up (in formal gear) and will do so when given the chance. Royal Caribbean are a little less formal than Celebrity to the point that my wife was turned away for wearing sandals one night - even though they were Jimmy Choo's!!

Also if you didn't wear a DJ or Suit jacket on formal night you where also turned away.

Some times people forget these boards are meant to be useful to people rather than a baracade of abuse. Also would appear some people obviously haven't traveled with P and O recently - last time I did it butlins abroad.

So don't stop dressing up that is the point of a cruise everyone is an individual!

thanks for the helpful replies (I will ignore the unhelpful one) Posh frock and tux will be packed!!

You will be glad you did! We sailed the Canaries itinerary in February and most of the people dining in the MDR were beautifully dressed, whether it was formal night on not. It was really lovely seeing suits and ties and pretty dresses every night.

I returned on Saturday on Indy, we did 8.30 MDR and we did not have anyone in jeans t shirts or shorts in the dinning room, I dont think they allow you in anyway. Most people dressed up and 75% had evening dress on. Dont worry dress how you want to you wont feel out of place. Hope you enjoy your cruise like we just have.

Thanks everyone

"People like you" What a line, no one spoke about snobbery etc just asking about Dress Code for NORMAL Passengers, guess we now know who wears the Shorts and Flip Flops in the MDR:eek:.

"People like you" What a line, no one spoke about snobbery etc just asking about Dress Code for NORMAL Passengers, guess we now know who wears the Shorts and Flip Flops in the MDR:eek:.

Damn there's no like button! :)

Thanks everyone

My wife & I are on the same cruise so I can assure you won't be the only ones dressed up!

Thanks everyone

We are on the Independence sailing from Southampton on 2nd June 2012.

I will be in my Tux and my wife will have a posh frock so there will be at least four of us on the cruise dressed up for the formal nights. I will have a white tux as well as a black one.

We like dressing up even for the casual nights. We will give you a wave if we are the only other couple in "fancy dress"

Have a good cruise.

We are on the Independence sailing from Southampton on 2nd June 2012.

I will be in my Tux and my wife will have a posh frock so there will be at least four of us on the cruise dressed up for the formal nights. I will have a white tux as well as a black one.

We like dressing up even for the casual nights. We will give you a wave if we are the only other couple in "fancy dress"

Have a good cruise.

Don't forget to wave to the kilts and frocks lol that will make 8 of us!!!!

My wife & I are on the same cruise so I can assure you won't be the only ones dressed up!

We're also on the 2nd June cruise with you and we'll be dressing up for formal nights. We did the IOS canaries cruise

18months ago and the majority wore black tie.

I'm sure it'll be fine and have every confidence it will exceed your expectations.

Helen

Archived