Tobacco/Church - best spots

cms204

My group is planning to snorkel both Tobacco and Church next week, and I'm wondering if there are any areas at each where we should focus. Should we swim out to any certain areas? Rock formations to look for? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Church bay was too rough last week but Tobacco Bay was great. Look around the rocks and swim out of the bay if the water is calm. I snorkeled most of the way to Achilles Bay--the water was like glass. Saw tons of fish as well as some live coral.

Can we rent snorkeling equipment at Tobacco Bay?

Yes, I think the price was $15 for a full set, fins and mask. Never found the need for fins there so the price is less with out them. We have our own gear because I'm just not sure about them dunking the gear in a bucket of who knows what.:eek: Cosco, BJ's, etc, have sets that are quit reasonable and are fine for the occasional snorkeler.

We also bring our snorkle gear with us. Costco, I agree, has a great price and comes with a shoulder sling. Since we always cruise with a garmet bag, we pack the snorkle gear sideways in the bottom of the garmet bag. Fits perfectly!

Costco link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11612391&search=snorkle&Ne=4000000&Mo=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&in_dym=1&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&whse=BC&D=snorkel&Ntt=snorkel&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Archived