Honest Cigar shop in Cozumel

Mr. Tom

Anyone happen to know a good <honest> Cigar shop in Coz? I wanna buy a couple good havana's and really dont wanna get ripped off, however, I want a decent price too. Kinda want to know where I should go before i get there.

Specificly, im looking for a couple Saint Luis Rey Serie A. :D

Only A "La Casa del Habano" is the only "real deal". They are the authorized Cuban Cigar dealers through out the world, if the store is not a Habanos you are risking a counterfeit cigar. Counterfeit Cuban cigars are all over the Caribbean, and Yucatan peninsula, if the deal is to good to be true, it is. You are likely to pay a higher price at the Habanos but you are getting the real thing. I have attached the link to the Habanos Site, and the email address of the store in Cozumel.

Enjoy, there is nothing like them in the world, and once you try them you will never go back to a regular cigar :0)-~

Address :

Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas con 5ta. Avenida,

Col. Centro C.P. 77600

Quintana Roo

Email : mimi@cozumel.com.mx

http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/mundo_i.asp

• 3 months later...

heed what the above poster has said. do not listen to anyone who says they know better. mimi and daniel are great people. i recommend, actually insist that you let danny make you a mojito while there. you'll likely end up drinking about 10 of them. my wife and I's picture is next to the front door on the wall. I'm going back to cozy in december, and that shop IS my "excursion".

Mimi has very recently closed and left the island. While there may be a cigar store in that same location, it is not Mimi's and quite possibly not the real deal. Until she sells her franchise, there will be no real "La Casa del Habano" in Cozumel. Locals can guess what happened given the address.

My friend just worked the entire summer at that shop.

he never said anything about her leaviing. Now, I will say that her old shop, Havana Club (big one next to Pancho's) is no longer her's. She had barely even opened under pizza prima. I'm oging to email my friend and find out the deal. Also of people have been told about her "not being in business anymore" by the jerks that run Havana Club now, that pushed her out of there. they pretend to have no idea whaere the official La Casa franchise is, because they're dirt.

I just re-read Sally's post, and it doesn't mention the shop being gone from the new location. I think you may be referring to the fact that she's no longer in the forum shops over the big jewelry store. if that's the case, then maybe the confusion came from there.

I'll post what I find out.

Sorry to say Scott, I am not referring to her location at the Forum shops. If I have some free time today, I'll swing by Mimi's place under Prima's and verify what I heard. Mimi is a dear, sweet person and I am not one of those trying to spread misinformation about her locale.

Although the Green House has cigars, be prepared to be asked to sample their other "wares", females to be precise.

Sally:

This is awful news. Make sure and tell him that Nicole and Scott (our pic is by the door) from Texas said Hello. I'm guessing that Daniel may be there? Or, is it just shut all the way down. This is so sad.

Keep in mind that daniel had told me that him and Mimi would possibly be coming to Houston to open a Cuban store/bar/restaurant.

The Green House on Calle 2 just outside the main plaza, half a block from the waterfront.

again:

Where does this place get their cigars? habanos S.A. does not (did not) sell to anyone but Mimi. She had the exclusive deal. The ONLY other shop Mimi ever sold to was her old palce in the Forum Shops. they now, too, though have been selling fakes.

people don't seem to get that out of ALL the cigars with cuban names/bands/boxes in the world, about 90-95% of those sticks are fake. Just because you're in a country w/free cuban trade doesn't mean that the sticks are legit.

For example, LOTS pof fake habanos are sold in the freaking duty-free shops in major airports in frankfurt, paris, Rome, etc.

Sally:

I just figured out that the Forum Shops was the old Havana Club, when Mimi was involved. THEN, the shop named "Havana CLub" relocated to abouve the jewelry store by Pancho's. Mimi's shop, as recently as june/july was owned/operated by Mimi/Daniel nin the tiny place under Pizza Prima (p.s. - great Italian, don't ya think?).

I've also heard, as recently as mid may, that Mimi had plans to open a nice, big, shiny new LCdH right next to Hard Rock Cafe.

If what you're saying is true, I fear the worst too. I've copied this thread and sent it to my gringo friend, Mike Stout, who worked there this summer. I'm hoping he can put some fears at ease.

Scott: You have the sequence off by just a little. Mimi started out above the jewelry store. That was the location opened by Mimi and her husband before he passed away years ago. From there they moved to the Forum shops and then more recently to the small space below Prima's. While Mimi was looking to relocate from the Forum shops, she considered different other waterfront possibilities, including next door to Hard Rock. Negotiations for those properties were not productive. She then worked out a deal for the space she most recently vacated. Yes, I'm sorry to say, I stopped by there last night. It has completely reverted back to being the downstairs bar for Prima's. Mimi has left the island. She will be missed.

Although the Green House has cigars, be prepared to be asked to sample their other "wares", females to be precise.

That is not true. There are men that stop in the front with their wives frequently. The owner´s wife works the register pretty often and nobody will ask them to sample their other ¨wares¨.

That is not true. There are men that stop in the front with their wives frequently. The owner´s wife works the register pretty often and nobody will ask them to sample their other ¨wares¨.

WOW! That's so considerate of them to think of the wife's feelings! :D

I guess they just solicite the single guys then....

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Sally, et. al.:

I just got the same info. as you Sally. It took me a while, since my friend teaches in texas and he's been busy. That said, I posted on a cigar bbs to get the lowdown on where to NOW get authentic Cubans in Cozumel. I'll just cut-and-paste his reply to me:

Scott, there is NO MORE lcdh in COzumel. Mimi closed the doors for good on July 15th. Danny bought the rest of the cigars and opened his on shop across from Ernestos Fajita Factory (called Guantanameras) on the south end of the island. Danny will be buying from the lcdh Mex City dist. and b/c of this Is where I will be buying my cigars on the next trip down. I will scan in a map to his new store alter on.

When I get more location info, I'll post it here on this thread. Danny is a standup guy and to date, he and the shop have always been our "excursion" in Cozumel. he makes a MEAN mojito, and it's a great way to spend the day. he'll run this shop on the level and only sell authentic product.

scottsins,

Moved from the Belize thread, hope to be on the Elation on May 14, 2006. When I was in Cozumel in December 2003 my wife and I stopped in the shop above the jewlery store, was that Mimi? I just wanted to make sure where to buy cigars at since I know locations can change.

lplace

• 1 month later...

Really? and it won't be ready by mid-december? What about Belize City and Roatan? Those too? What does a cruise-line usually do, offer an alternative (I'm a newbie cruiser)?

b8b:

You may want to have a look at the Cozumel boards...It looks really grim over there. Aside from that, reading the posts in this thread before yours, I gather that there are no places in Coz that sell authentic cubans anymore. Check out these pics of the hurricane aftermath...

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=hurricane+wilma+cozumel&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&pstart=1&c=images&b=1

Archived