Open Letter to Carnival

Mikel1733

I really feel like a lot of people posting don't understand the concept of a "brand loyalty program".

I make soap for a living. After nearly 10 years of working out of my home, I made a huge leap of faith and opened a small boutique in a converted house built in 1910, where people can come buy my products, watch me make soap, take classes, and pet our shop cat.

What I make is a luxury item - you can go to the grocery store and buy 3 bars of commercially made soap for what I charge for one. They even sell "handmade soap" at the grocery store these days! People don't ever need to step foot in here - but when they do, I try my best not only to make them feel welcome but that I appreciate that they took the time to stop by.

I have some very loyal customers, who have watched me grow this business over the years, and I take care of them very well. There's almost always a little something extra in their bag when they leave here, whether it's a lip balm or one of those scrubby bath poufs, or a new product I'm trying out. Everyone who buys a bar of soap receives a stamp card; buy 9 bars of soap and the 10th one is free. I also do custom labels for gifts and shower favors, and because I print all my labels in-house, I can make up a single set of products with custom labels.

But that doesn't mean that the person who is walking in the door for the first time isn't going to leave without a little extra, either. Everyone who comes in the door receives at least one soap sample for them to take home and try, whether they buy something or not. Every purchase that leaves here is packaged up and ready to give as a gift. I welcome people when they come in and walk them to the door when they leave.

The things I give away cost me next to nothing. The soap samples are basically scraps and trimmings, lip balms cost next to nothing to make, and I buy the scrubby bath poufs for 5/$1 at the dollar store. I have to print out labels for products anyway, and the extra 2 minutes of creating a customized label are well worth the time. People love receiving something for free, and they love the personalized way they are treated when they step foot in my store.

I do these things to create brand loyalty, so people want to come back, so they want to spend $4.50 on a bar of soap. (Which is cheap for a bar of handmade soap, might I add!)

I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm creating customers, ones who love what I make and will take the extra time out of their days to come to me for the products they love. And honestly, I don't need to throw these little freebies at the majority of them. Once they use my soap, they're hooked. :D

But because I treat my customers well, they tend to go out of their way for me. I have one customer who not only loves my soap, but she regularly raves about my store on her Facebook page. She's a teacher and she takes brochures and soap samples to the break room at her school. She has brought me several other loyal customers because I treat her well - and as anyone who has taken a basic marketing class will tell you, word of mouth is one of the best and cheapest methods of advertising.

Little freebies, little perks - do I need to do them? Yes and no. I could easily not do them, but I sell more when I do, and more importantly I create more loyalty when I do.

This new program of Carnival's does not create brand loyalty, and all these people saying "if you don't like it, go find another cruise line" prove that it doesn't. I would really like to know who Carnival is targeting with it, and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it works for them.

Maybe they just realize that they there are people (like my family) who will choose them because there are few other choices available, and they just don't care about creating loyalty anymore. Maybe it's ok with them to run their business this way. Maybe they're just after the sale and not the customer - it sure feels that way to me.

Customer service is what thats all about..Make someone happy and they will tell 3 people..Make someone mad/upset and they will tell 10 people..Dennis

I really feel like a lot of people posting don't understand the concept of a "brand loyalty program".

I make soap for a living. After nearly 10 years of working out of my home, I made a huge leap of faith and opened a small boutique in a converted house built in 1910, where people can come buy my products, watch me make soap, take classes, and pet our shop cat.

What I make is a luxury item - you can go to the grocery store and buy 3 bars of commercially made soap for what I charge for one. They even sell "handmade soap" at the grocery store these days! People don't ever need to step foot in here - but when they do, I try my best not only to make them feel welcome but that I appreciate that they took the time to stop by.

I have some very loyal customers, who have watched me grow this business over the years, and I take care of them very well. There's almost always a little something extra in their bag when they leave here, whether it's a lip balm or one of those scrubby bath poufs, or a new product I'm trying out. Everyone who buys a bar of soap receives a stamp card; buy 9 bars of soap and the 10th one is free. I also do custom labels for gifts and shower favors, and because I print all my labels in-house, I can make up a single set of products with custom labels.

But that doesn't mean that the person who is walking in the door for the first time isn't going to leave without a little extra, either. Everyone who comes in the door receives at least one soap sample for them to take home and try, whether they buy something or not. Every purchase that leaves here is packaged up and ready to give as a gift. I welcome people when they come in and walk them to the door when they leave.

The things I give away cost me next to nothing. The soap samples are basically scraps and trimmings, lip balms cost next to nothing to make, and I buy the scrubby bath poufs for 5/$1 at the dollar store. I have to print out labels for products anyway, and the extra 2 minutes of creating a customized label are well worth the time. People love receiving something for free, and they love the personalized way they are treated when they step foot in my store.

I do these things to create brand loyalty, so people want to come back, so they want to spend $4.50 on a bar of soap. (Which is cheap for a bar of handmade soap, might I add!)

I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm creating customers, ones who love what I make and will take the extra time out of their days to come to me for the products they love. And honestly, I don't need to throw these little freebies at the majority of them. Once they use my soap, they're hooked. :D

But because I treat my customers well, they tend to go out of their way for me. I have one customer who not only loves my soap, but she regularly raves about my store on her Facebook page. She's a teacher and she takes brochures and soap samples to the break room at her school. She has brought me several other loyal customers because I treat her well - and as anyone who has taken a basic marketing class will tell you, word of mouth is one of the best and cheapest methods of advertising.

Little freebies, little perks - do I need to do them? Yes and no. I could easily not do them, but I sell more when I do, and more importantly I create more loyalty when I do.

This new program of Carnival's does not create brand loyalty, and all these people saying "if you don't like it, go find another cruise line" prove that it doesn't. I would really like to know who Carnival is targeting with it, and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it works for them.

Maybe they just realize that they there are people (like my family) who will choose them because there are few other choices available, and they just don't care about creating loyalty anymore. Maybe it's ok with them to run their business this way. Maybe they're just after the sale and not the customer - it sure feels that way to me.

I love your whole post but this line sums it all up.

I have not been ranting about the loyalty program because all I received was the past guest party and they take that away ( they are ) no big deal.

I fully intend to do just what they want, and take my higher expectations to a different cruise line.

I will pay more for cruises as well as soap that pleases me.

If you have a website email me nanaskittles at gmail dot com.

I think that what many are missing here is that those that are already platinum or above are going to be "grandfathered in" so, why are you all complaining? John Heald also responded that even those that were close to the old rules, would be grandfathered. If you all are so "loyal" to Carnival, then why are you all ready to "jump ship" over a free drink or laundry service? Have you also become that "entitled" that you can't just enjoy the vacation. I challenge any of those complainers to book the same vacation at the same price with all the perks on any other line and get back to me with the proof.

It is not entitlement, it is loyalty. Based on Carnival's loyalty program we chose to do our cruising with Carnival. We have achieved Platinum benefits. Now Carnival wants to take some of those Platinum benefits away while stating the new loyalty program will be better. I don't think so.

While my husband and I were on Carnival Legend last week, we heard about the new program from a number of people in Management-level positions. They will not be named, as I am not going to put their careers in jeopardy.

We base our cruising history on my profile, as I have two more cruises under my belt with Carnival.

We tallied up the number of days that I have been at sea since beginning my cruising career in 1993, and to date, I have had 90 days at sea, which under the "new" Loyalty program, puts me in the "VIFP Platinum" category. We have on the books a 5 day cruise to Canada on Carnival Glory in August, as well as an 8 day cruise to Aruba and Curacao on Carnival Breeze in January. Once these two cruises are done, I will at 113 days at sea with Carnival.

Under the current Loyalty program, I am 10 cruises away from Milestone.

Under the "new" Loyalty program, I will need an additional 67 days at sea in order to reach VIFP Milestone.

Can I obtain it over the next couple of years? Yes I have the ways and means to do it. We live in Florida, have no dependents except for each other, and have extremely flexible schedules.

Will I obtain it over the next couple of years? Most likely no. We love the Carnival product, and want to see what else is out there. We also got a taste of what an AI is really like, so a couple of days at one in definitely in the works for us.

Yes some of the benefits under the VIFP Platinum plan are not to my liking, but I was not asked my opinion on them.

I would like to see the Past Guest Parties be divvied up into separate parties for Gold, Platinum, and Diamond.

I would like to see the number of sea days needed for VIFP Gold, VIFP Platinum, and VIFP Diamond to be reversed - make it harder to get to Platinum, and easier to get to Diamond.

Does the limited bags of laundry for VIFP Platinum vs. unlimited bags of laundry for VIFP Diamond upset me? No, as we only do 1-2 bags on a 3-5 night cruise, and 2-3 bags on a 7 or 8 night cruise. On Magic last year, I think we did a total of 4 bags over the 12 nights, and even that was pushing it for us.

Does the fact that that first time cruisers at the VIFP Gold and VIFP Diamond levels get a commemorative pin, but not Platinum upset me? In a way, yes it does. I feel as if VIFP Platinum cruisers are being shafted, and the first time pins should be at all three levels, or none offered at all.

Does the fact that my dining selection is now a priority and not guaranteed? No - there is always the Buffet.

The race to be the first at the finish line is over for us, and we're going to take our sweet time getting there. There's too many other cruise lines both big and small - and other types of vacations - to be checked out.

And if we do not accomplish this, it will not be the end of the world...

Carnival is a mass market cruise line, not a niche market specialty soap company. No need for gimmicks.

And if equating CCL to soap what sap would they be? Irish Spring for $1.50 vs Neutrogena for $4.50? So if that $1.50 is equivalent to $700 flor cruise then the $4.50 would be $2100 right? Two completely things. Ive gotten great service on Carnival as I'm sure most have otherwise why would we go back? For free drinks and laundry?

Do you repeat the same tired lies because of ignorance, or are you just a compulsive liar?

As i said before (and anyone with knowledge of coffee will concur) replacing quality espresso machines, machines that use portafilters, with super auto machines makes FOR POORER QUALITY ESPRESSO!!!! THEY ARE DITCHING HIGH QUALITY MADE IN ITALY ESPRESSO MACHINES FOR FULLY AUTOMATIC MACHINES!!!! SUPER AUTO MACHINES CAN'T MAKE AS GOOD A SHOT AS A MANUAL MACHINE!!!! STOP LYING, STOP LYING!!!!

I appreciate the passion you're feeling about this. Especially in the middle of the night. :)

How so? :confused:

You mentioned a 2 day interior was closely priced to a 7 day balcony.

A 2 day interior will run you $300. An 8 day balcony next summer will run me almost $1600.

Not sure what point you are trying to make but this is the math I used to point out you may have been stretching your facts.

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

I would ask that all changes be addressed this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

Your letter is well written, but I advocate a slightly more pithy appraoch:

Dear Mr Cahill,

Please Quit.

Hugs & Kisses,

Neal

If Carnival doesn't need gimmicks, then why have a loyalty program at all?

Bravo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG78Fhrqt_8e4kDGc_6c9Z4d0ayZuX5SHKVRewbb6bHGF3kDik

Seems like they are using the same methodolgy as they used with the Fun Farwell. If they screw it up enough they can cancel altogether it due to lack of interest.

I am a fairly new cruiser, as such I guess I would fall into the demographic of new cruisers who have no idea what they are missing. However, I have done quite a bit of reading here and everywhere, and my conclusion is this: At the end of the day Carnival is in business to make money. Period!

Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status. I suspect Carnival extended this offer to be used so that even people who had tight budgets could benefit from the program. Instead it was exploited. So end result is the people who exploited the loop hole have ruined it for everyone else.

Yes not having the perks sucks, but you know what? Although I may not be a veteran cruiser, I am a more of a Disney goer.

Disney usually offers a free dining plan and has for many years (generally starting around beginning to mid August) This year they offered it towards the end of August. Now, am I going to get all bent out of shape because I have always enjoyed free dinning from Disney for my two week yearly visits and this year they started offering it late in the year? NO...

Disney's quick service dinning plan used to include 2 snacks, people saw a loophole of using left over credits to take "snacks" home, such as chocolate bars candies and other concession goodies. Disney saw this as an exploit and now offers 1 snack with quick service. Does this upset me? NO... why? Because last year I used the snack credits I had left over (from my 1 snack a day credit) and brought home 6 lollipops and I still have 4!!! I didn't starve while I was there, I ate well.

This year I decided that I would take a cruise for 5 days first, then go to Disney my last week on vacation when they offered the free dinning, and you know why I decided on that? Cause it works for my family - these guys are in business to make money and I am cheap and would rather save money. So moral of the story... if Carnaval's perks or lack thereof affect your family vacation that badly, maybe you need to look for something that does work for your family.

Just because you have platinum status does not mean you can only vacation with them! Do what works for your family!

Actually, the loyalty ambassador on my last cruise had advised guests to book back-to-backs to obtain platinum status. It's not cheating the system. I would likely not give Carnival ten of my vacations unless I knew that I would get something out of it. I'm sure they would rather me try to "earn" benefits than walk away and go to another line.

Actually, the loyalty amabassador had advised guests to book back-to-backs to obtain platinum status. It's not cheating the system.

It's lots cheaper to do your own laundry than to book b2bs to get the meagre perks :cool:

I'm another cruiser who has little interest in the perks.

But if they matter to you, then aside from posting here about your irritations, you should be contacting Carnival (John's blog, Carnival's forums, and the corporate offices by mail, email, phone, etc.) to communicate your opinions. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you have the right and responsibility to be your own consumer advocate.

I'm a chronic letter writer, emailer, and phone caller when issues arise that are important to me. And on occasion, I've put customer service departments through living H*LL when they've behaved unethically or irresponsibly.

Like any other company, Carnival will balance the bottom line against what customers like and what they dislike.

Also, don't discount the possibility that Carnival leaked their own loyalty program information to test the waters for a reaction. This is a game that corporations and politicians play all the time in order to tweak their final position ahead of actually releasing it.

In my opinion things have started going down hill since they started to eliminate smoking areas. All the bars used to be packed. Now not so much. The jazz players were great. We would sit and listen to them for hours. All the time smoking and drinking. They stopped the smoking and then the bar was empty. So they got rid of the jazz players. Now the space is just empty. Most of the bars are now empty. And they make most of their money off of alcohol sales. So of course now they are eliminating other things to make up for the revenue that they have lost from the alcohol. So bring back smoking and once agian we can have unlimited free laundry.

In my opinion things have started going down hill since they started to eliminate smoking areas. All the bars used to be packed. Now not so much. The jazz players were great. We would sit and listen to them for hours. All the time smoking and drinking. They stopped the smoking and then the bar was empty. So they got rid of the jazz players. Now the space is just empty. Most of the bars are now empty. And they make most of their money off of alcohol sales. So of course now they are eliminating other things to make up for the revenue that they have lost from the alcohol. So bring back smoking and once agian we can have unlimited free laundry.

I have to smile as I read your thoughts. :). You never know what kind of reactions come from any one action. I appreciate everyone's points of view, that's what CC is for. Too many on CC cannot tolerate any view that isn't how they feel....especially if it is critical of Carnival.

I see your point, really I do, but in your case you are selling a superior/like product for a much higher price then I would find in a local grocery store. So as long as you provide perks to your customers they will feel good about spending the extra money. (I get that)

This is not the case with Carnival... they, in my opinion already offer a great product and service for a lower price then other competitors - that is the main difference.

Now lets just say for the sake of conversation that the perk you gave your customer was going to waste. Let's say that instead of a lip balm you gave them a reuseable store brand bag (you know, the kind that sell for 99 cents at the grocer), and lets say, that you found a garbage can outside your shop full of these bags you were giving away as a perk, just wasted. Would you still be inclided to give the perk away?

What if your customer instead loved the bag so much and you decided it started costing too much to give a bag away, and they came in your store and demanded you give them a bag? You tell them, well I found people were wasting the bags so now I am offering a lip balm and you customer says... "I don't have chapped lips so I don't want that perk - I want the bag"

We do not know Carnival's reasons for changing their perks. But based on the ice in rooms, and limited laundry which seems to upset a few people, you may need to look at it in a whole other way...

ICE - it doesn't just materialize because you want it, a machine has to run and fresh water has to be poured in to make the ice. There are costs involved in providing ice daily to a large group of people who will not use it and let it melt on a daily basis (that is wasteful and although some MAY use ice daily, they must be finding that many do not). Is it really that bad or that much of a hassle to have to ask your cabin steward if he/she wouldn't mind making sure you have fresh ice daily? They are not saying they will NOT provide it, they are simply saying we will provide on demand.

Laundry - Is it really necessary to have all ones clothes washed the day before you leave just so you don't have to do it at home? If everyone decides they want their laundry washed before going home and Carnival has to employ more staff to make this happen for all who request the service - the free perk that a few years ago may have kept staff already employed busy, will now cost them extra to employ more staff to get the job done. They from what I have read have not said you loose your laundry privledges, they are limiting people to a lessor amount of bags per cabin. Which is reasonable...

I just hate seeing so many adults in one place complaining about things that are so trivial - maybe you would be happier if Carnival raised their prices by $100 a person so you could keep your perks? Think about that! I do not think they are doing this to punish anyone, but maybe... just maybe you should entertain the idea that limiting perks is keeping your cost down.

The first time/new cruiser won't care if they pay an extra $100 per person, as most of them won't have the cheaper prices to compare to when they are gone... but them you all will be happy because you will all have something new to complain about!! YAY!!! Let the vicious cycle begin!

So say I have ten dollars to spend at either store x or store z. I really like store z but store x gives me a special gift everytime I shop there. So because I like the gifts I shop at store x. Store x decides to quit giving gifts so now I spend my money at the store that I really like. Same thing with Carnival. I really like Princess I love the perks of Carnival. But you take them away and I am going to sail on Princess. I shop the sails and book last minute sials so it does not cost me anymore. I love the fresh water pools on Princess. But I enjoyed the perks on Carnival. No perks than fresh water wins out. I also enjoy RCCL so now my time will be spent between all of them.

I just hate seeing so many adults in one place complaining about things that are so trivial - maybe you would be happier if Carnival raised their prices by $100 a person so you could keep your perks? Think about that! I do not think they are doing this to punish anyone, but maybe... just maybe you should entertain the idea that limiting perks is keeping your cost down.

The first time/new cruiser won't care if they pay an extra $100 per person, as most of them won't have the cheaper prices to compare to when they are gone... but them you all will be happy because you will all have something new to complain about!! YAY!!! Let the vicious cycle begin!

You really don't get it. It is easy to sit in a reclining chair and, free of any knowledge of economics, and think of how things work. Fact is that you are wrong.

Carnival can't raise prices, raising prices above what the market will bear will result in sailing with empty cabins and gross revenues will drop.

CCL prices follow the airline model-price according to demand and capacity. This is why prices are lower in the fall, higher in the summer and highest around holidays.In fact, there could be times where the price of a cabin is lower than the cost. They'll sell it at a loss as it is better to incur a small loss by pricing under cost than incurring a larger loss if the cabin was vacant. Again, they will do this because of market conditions. When it happens too much, the ship is moved to another port where it might more profitable, or to simple decrease the number of cabins in an area, which will prop up price. Contrary to the ccl cheerleaders who often give their arm chair economic analysis, CCL does NOT try to keep the price of cruising down! They are a corporation and their goal is to make the most amount of profit possible. These means pricing cabins at the highest price that they'll sell,period. Does this not make sense to you?

The market has a low opinion of CCL thus, they have to keep prices low lest they sail with empty cabins. So, the only way to improve profits is to lower expenses which means cuts. Cuts in food,entertainment, service and yes, loyalty plan. Check out the last CCL conference for more info.I think their next conference call will be in the first or second week of June.

What ship no longer has free cappuccino in the MDR? Will this be on other ships too in the future? This was a nice touch, and while we had some service issues in the MDR, our cappuccino server was great.

We have only been on one cruise. I was expecting to be invited to the past guest party on our next one and I will be disappointed if I have to wait until my 5th cruise to get that little perk. If I don't receive an invite on our next cruise, I may even protest in my own way (usually by not making a purchase of something.) Yes I will book another cruise with Carnival, but the program does not really give me any incentive to have brand loyalty.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Isn't all of this going to be really silly when the World ends in December! Sorry, had to go there! :D

Archived