Clueless about Casual, Smart Casual, & Formal

There's so much talk on here about the 'proper' dinner attire. But when I looked at the compasses for the Mariner (we'll be on her Sunday) all it says is no bare feet, short pants, or tank tops are allowed.

I thought jeans, t-shirts, and things of that nature were not permitted?

And what's the difference between that and 'smart casual'?

Formal is obviously a suit and tie, or a tux, I'm pretty sure, right?

Things that are no allowed are grounds for being denied entry to the dining room, although this is seldom if ever done. The remainder of the dress code is merely a suggestion. You can pretty much wear what you want and no one will do anything about it. Most passengers dress formally because they want to or out of respect to their fellow passengers.

You're correct about "formal", it's usually tux or suit/jacket and tie. As the other poster said, most people adhere to that out of respect for the other passengers that dress up. Some stay dressed up all night and some change to casual clothes after dinner.

Smart

casual is pretty much not observed anymore. It used to mean jacket and tie, but most everybody treats it like a casual night now. I have some guyabara shirts that I wear for smart casual nights.

Casual means polo/golf shirts and slacks for men and pants and tops or summery dresses for the ladies.

Some people do wear shorts and jeans and I have not seen anyone turned away.

I have only been on one RCCL cruise so far and like you was totally confused and stressed about the attire beforehand.

From what I learned generally any attire that would not be acceptable in a decent restaurant SHOULD not be worn in the dining room, especially on formal or smart casual nights. No shoes, cut off shorts,tee shirts, tank tops etc. This is out of respect for fellow diners as the post above says. I don't believe they would actually throw anyone out for improper attire unless it was extreme. And again use your own judgement i.e, a tank top is fine if worn with a dressy skirt or pants and nice dressy sandals and maybe a wrap. A tank top with jeans or shorts is just way too informal. Sandals are fine if worn with a dressy outfit. Flip flops no.

Just as an example however I saw a gentleman on smart casual night with khaki pants, a dark tee shirt, and sports jacket that looked great

So it all depends on HOW you wear an item as well. Ordinarily a tee shirt would not be appropriate but on him with his style it looked great. :cool:

The first night usually jeans and t-shirts, tank tops etc are allowed because everyone is exhausted and some luggage is still getting delivered.

On formal nights they ASK that you wear a cocktail dress, dressy pantsuit or evening gown if you choose and the men wear suits, ties OR even a tux if you have one.

On smart casual night they ASK that you wear a semi dressy pantsuit, dress (sundress or church type dress) and the men wear a shirt with a collar ( no tees) jacket with dress pants, khaki's etc. Basically what you would wear to an office to work.

On theme nights ( Carribean, western etc) they ASK that you follow the theme. Flowery shirts, dresses etc for Carribean night, jeans etc for western, 60's type dress for 60's/oldies night etc.

Don't get yourself stressed over the attire.:confused: Nothing is carved in stone. And as the person above said and what I witnessed myself they most likely will not remove anyone from the dining room for their attire. I did see a few people with casual dress ( jeans & tee shirts etc) on formal night. I couldn't care less what the other passengers wear and I think most passengers/diners feel the same. If you don't go along with the suggested dress you might feel very self conscious yourself and don't need anyone to tell you anything. If not and you feel ok, that's cool too. Whatever "floats your boat" (excuse the pun LOL). But the important thing is not to stress over it and ruin your vacation before you even get started. Wear something nice, use your own judgement, and you will be fine.;)

The alternative is to just eat at the Windjammer or any of the other restaurants if you don't want to participate in the dress of the evening. You can wear shorts etc. in the Windjammer and no one gives a hoot. Some people do that on days that they are off the ship for the day, in port as to avoid the rush and stress of "dressing for dinner".

Good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks everyone!

dh01498 - I think the main concern is for my FH - he is not a fan of dressing up. So, more often then not he's in a nice pair of jeans, with a collared shirt, or a nice sweater, and a pair of casual dress shoes. I just don't want him looking like a smacked a$$ on the non-formal nights!

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Would he be agreeable to wearing Dockers or nice slacks on the casual nights? My DH is a jeans man too, but these work well for him other than on the formal nights.

my DH is the same way! he LIVES in jeans but 'allowed' me to pack dockers for him on the cruise...........he loved them and has since asked me to buy more.... :)

Thanks everyone!

dh01498 - I think the main concern is for my FH - he is not a fan of dressing up. So, more often then not he's in a nice pair of jeans, with a collared shirt, or a nice sweater, and a pair of casual dress shoes. I just don't want him looking like a smacked a$$ on the non-formal nights!

I hear you loud and clear because mine is the same. But he did agree to dress up for formal nights. But again don't stress over it. As long as he wears some dockers and a dressy type shirt and MAYBE a tie on formal nights??? he will be fine on all occasions.

wear jackets and ties on smart casual night? I'm sorely tempted not to pack the jacket if lots of men don't wear them. . .

I don't wear ties at work, so I really feel put upon wearing them on my vacation (except for formal nights.)

wear jackets and ties on smart casual night? I'm sorely tempted not to pack the jacket if lots of men don't wear them. . .

I don't wear ties at work, so I really feel put upon wearing them on my vacation (except for formal nights.)

I am not sure of the percent but can tell you that my DH has brought his sport coat on three cruises and did not wear it one time. There are many more men who dont wear them then do. Its one less thing to pack and it saves room for me to bring extra clothes.:D

I would leave your jacket at home and put your tie on a rack in your closet. A polo shirt works fine for most men on the ship.

I would like to relate my recent experience with dining on the Rhapsody. Our group was a party of 6 at an 8 seat table. Prior to the cruise, I considered buying a Tux, but opted to bring my Black Suit instead as did the other males in our party. The women all had nice evening dresses. The other couple did not show for dinner the first two evenings, one of which was the 1st Formal night. When we inquired about the 2 extra chairs, our waiter explained that the other two were newlyweds and we assumed they had just locked themselves up in their cabin like newlyweds are supposed to. On the 3rd night, which was in Key West, they met our waiter, Binnie, who encouraged them to attend the next night. Come to find out, they had been married 10 years and this was the first time they could skrimp together enough money to take a honeymoon and the reason they hadn't come to the previous dinners was they felt they could not properly dress for the occasion and would likely skip the next Formal night because they had no Formal wear. Upon learning this, we offered to help, since we all had extra, but didn't push so as to embarrase them. Finally we just told them they had to come and just wear what they had and if it didn't bother us at the table, it didn't matter what anyone else thought. To our delight, they showed up on that Formal night and every night after that! We had 3 fantastic evenings with this wonderful couple. Moral....don't be so arrogant as to ruin someones idea of a dream just because of what they are wearing doesn't meet with your standards.

Budaman, thank you for that story. I really think that if you at least make an effort to look nice for dinner what difference does it make. The only think I do not want to see are t shirts, shorts, and flip flops. Everyone should have clothes in their closet they could wear to church or a wedding.

I personally love dressing up but thats just me.

Familycruzer, I should have been a little clearer. Their clothing was casual but adequate. No tshirts like they just came in from the pool, but based on the wording in the "dress code" felt they were underdressed.

That is a really nice story. My dh likes to dress up for one of the formal nights...the others, we are all just casual (no tshirts, or shorts etc.) I like capri type pants, and a nice blouse..Bringing the 3 kids along is always a toughy...they dress for dinner, run to the cabin to change etc...I don't even want to do the formal this coming trip...but dh does...he is paying so I guess I will have an excuse to dress up, hahahaha

Familycruzer, I should have been a little clearer. Their clothing was casual but adequate. No tshirts like they just came in from the pool, but based on the wording in the "dress code" felt they were underdressed.

I understood what you meant, I am sure if they spent any time on these boards they were scared and confused.

Can you find out ahead of time which nights are theme nights if they are any at all?

This question could easily get lost in this thread so I suggest you post a new topic asking about theme nights on your particular ship and itinerary. Most likely that will attract posters who have the answer. :)

On the Navigator, the only nights my DH wore a tie was on formal nights with his suit. The other nights, including smart casual, tended more on the casual side with few if any men wearing jackets.

Archived