Pool Bands: Anybody know? Anybody Care??

We enjoy hanging around the pool deck on sea days and at sail away time a lot. Part of the atmoshere is a good band playing upbeat music. The best we ever heard was actually about 10-11 years ago on the Majesty; the Band was Cruise Control. They palyed a lot of Bob Marley and the like. They had a very good steel drum player.

On the last few cruises, the pool band has been quite unremarkable. Last year we had Mega Four, who we found to be irratating in their style and choice of music. They tended to play Top 40 type music, even hip-hop. We prefer the Caribbean sound, after all, we are IN the Caribbean.

I know that musical tastes vary all over the place. Does anyone else care about the pool band, or are we strange?

Also, does anyone know about the band on the Mariner. We sail on June 5.:cool:

I too like the Pool Bands and enjoy the music. We've been on 15 cruises and leaving in 2 days for another. We've had Next Level, Hott Sands (several times), Mega Four, Heat Wave, Surfside. That's all I can remember, but Mega Four was my favorite :D

Just my 2cents worth.

Linda

I remember HEAT WAVE - but couln't remember their name until you mentioned it. They were pretty good but they are the only band I remember of the Carribean stuff.

Last cruise, there was a younger band that played Beatles covers and the like. Anyone know who that was? They were younger guys in ties ...

It looks like I am getting out-voted on the Mega Four issue. Maybe I am getting older than I think. If they are on our ship, I suppose we will have to give them another chance.

Does anyone who has been on the Mariner lately know who the band is?

I was on Explorer last week and I am 99% sure the band was Cruise Control. First day I thought they were good, but by the end of the week they were driving me nuts! Every set was the same, not only the music but the commentary by the lead singer, got to the point I knew exactly what she'd say before she said it. If I heard "rowdy people, are you out there?" one more time, I thought I'd scream! On previous cruises I've always seen lots of people gather in front of the band and be dancing, etc. This time, the band didn't seem to be able to generate a whole lot of enthusiasm.

I am sure it was Mega Four on the Mariner last June. I do remember some Caribbean tunes. The one I think I recall that we found annoying was "who let the dogs out" played at about triple speed. I guess some folks liked it. I seem to recall a blues tune they played that was pretty good. Then again, it seems like one day there was a different group at the pool; one of the lounge acts maybe. I could be getting the two confused. In any case, Mega Four seems to have their share of fans.

The "Cruise Control" band that we heard was on the Majesty in 1994-1995. We bought their tape (no CD's then). They did not have a female in the band, so I am not sure it is the same group that boatbunny saw. Maybe they either remade the band or some other group assumed the name. The guys we heard were very talented and very laid back. I still pop the tape in when I get in the cruise mood.

Thanks, cruzntime, for the bump. I have been looking for one of those "just back from the Mariner, any questions" threads to ask about the pool band. It does not make or break our vacation, but we do like good tunes. It does seem like a lot of people do not pay much attention to the band, though.

Archived