What's your experience diving in Oahu?

Cavegirl

We're going to Hawaii in Aug. Just before and after going on a cruise, we have some time in Waikiki. I would like to do a couple of 2-tank morning dives there, and maybe even a night dive. Someone mentioned to take morning dives, as the sea gets rough from the wind in the afternoon.

I am NAUI certified from two years ago, and have done 8 open water (2 deep dives to 90') dives so far. I'll need to rent full gear.

Can anyone share your diving experience around the Oahu island? (The dives you went, operator, price, time, advise, etc.)

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

It's OK is appropriate for Oahu. I've dove about 20 dives on Oahu and have had my best experiences on the North Shore. In August the waves will not have arrived and diving can be very nice on the North Shore. The south shore has very little coral and I didn't find it to be very impressive. The North shore is mostly volcanic formation and you dive around huge lava flows, many that have swim throughs/caves that are naviagable. We dove with Surf n Sea in Haleiwa. All of the diving on the North Shore is beach diving. so be prepared to walk with you gear on down to the beach. Some are easy, and some are more difficult. If you decide to dive the North Shore I would recommend Sharks Cove. A very nice place. Also ask the divemaster to show you the beach where the turtles come onto the beach to sunbath and sleep. If you are driving from Waikiki you WILL pass this beach. You can actually walk into the water and the turtle will swim up to you to take a look. By the way if you dive with Surf n Sea ask for Richard or Heidi. My wife and I did our AOW with them and found them to be very professional and very friendly. Good Luck

http://www.surfnsea.com/

Archived