Empress of the Seas???

Hi,

Thought perhaps someone might have some advice for a newbie to RCL. Yesterday, while surfing the web, I noticed a 7 Day cruise on Empress of the Seas, departing Fort Lauderdale on October 10, 2005. I went to the RCL website, and found the price was correct. I am traveling as a single, and thought the rate of $807.00 to be to good to be true. It's a senior citizen rate. It is an F category, room 8112, unobstructed, oceanview. The cruise finishes in San Juan, and then I thought I spends a couple of days there, and then fly back to Fort Lauderdale. However, I've read so many mixed reviews, that I'm unsure that I've made the right move in putting down a $250 deposit, directly with RCL yesterday. I understand, I can cancel without penalty two months prior to departure. I figure, I can't beat that price, and the ship hits two port, Labadee, Hispanola, which I hear is beautiful, and Bassterre, St. Kitts, which I've wanted to go to also. The three other ports I've been to before, and would also like to go back to them. I'm not picky about food, and I hear the ship is small , which is no problem for me, and has recently been refurbished in 2004, and again I think in 2005, although I may be mistaken. My concern is sewage problems, toilets not working, and ants in food, that I have read in posts. Has anyone sailed her recently, and if you have, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have? I really want to take this ship. I've probably already answered my own question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

MS Volendam, December 16th, 2004

MS Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005

Im leaving May 14 on the Empress..i'll let you know..davem

Hi,

Thought perhaps someone might have some advice for a newbie to RCL. Yesterday, while surfing the web, I noticed a 7 Day cruise on Empress of the Seas, departing Fort Lauderdale on October 10, 2005. I went to the RCL website, and found the price was correct. I am traveling as a single, and thought the rate of $807.00 to be to good to be true. It's a senior citizen rate. It is an F category, room 8112, unobstructed, oceanview. The cruise finishes in San Juan, and then I thought I spends a couple of days there, and then fly back to Fort Lauderdale. However, I've read so many mixed reviews, that I'm unsure that I've made the right move in putting down a $250 deposit, directly with RCL yesterday. I understand, I can cancel without penalty two months prior to departure. I figure, I can't beat that price, and the ship hits two port, Labadee, Hispanola, which I hear is beautiful, and Bassterre, St. Kitts, which I've wanted to go to also. The three other ports I've been to before, and would also like to go back to them. I'm not picky about food, and I hear the ship is small , which is no problem for me, and has recently been refurbished in 2004, and again I think in 2005, although I may be mistaken. My concern is sewage problems, toilets not working, and ants in food, that I have read in posts. Has anyone sailed her recently, and if you have, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have? I really want to take this ship. I've probably already answered my own question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Just did 11 days on the Empress (April 11-22, 2005) and didn't hear a thing abot the problems you mentioned. Our group of 6 had one inside cabin and 2 outside plus our tablemates - No Problems that I know of. We also sailed on her as the Nordic Empress Dec 2003 and there were no problems then either.

The food and service was excellent, the shows were good and the ship was clean throughout. The INTERNET service is a little slow but there was never a line to get on. If you have a hang-up or problem, they readily take it off your bill. Soft serve ice cream on the pool deck every afternoon and late night snacks, also on the pool deck, between 11:00 and 12:00. Coffee, lemonade or juice, and ice tea is always available on the pook deck also. We had breakfast and lunch at the Windjammer each day and always ate dinner in the dining room.

If you go to St Kitts, I'd like to recommend a taxi driver for you. His name is George Scarborough and he is the president of the St Kitts Taxi Association. We had him in 1993 and again a couple of weeks ago. He is friendly as all get out, well educated, speaks well, and is a proverbial "walking encyclopedia" on St Kitts and the other Caribbean islands. He can be contacted through his daughter Diane (Dee) at the Ministry of Tourism's Office at tachendi@thecable.net or you can call him on his cell phone at 869 663 1909.

He has a nice airconditioned van and charges $20 PP for a 4 hour tour where he will take you wherever you want to go and stop wherever you want. The cheapest ship's tour is $42 PP so, if you book ahead with him, you can recruit your tablemates and others.George works the Marriott Hotel area normally but will gladly do a persoanl tour.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Just returned off her also 4/11 - 4/22. What a wonderful ship and she shines from top to bottom. Never saw or heard any of the problems you described.

Bibb, said it very well. I'd sail her again, if the opportunity arised.

BIBB...where you at the M&M meeting?

TwiliteNights,

Sorry, I didn't make any meetings. I was so wrapped up prior to going, I didn't check out any sights. I was the TA for the group and was checking and rechecking things.

We loved the Empress and would do it again, no problem. I especially like the 10 island itinerary and, even though we did not go beyond the pier and beach area, we really like Margarita Island. Grenada was hit hard by Ivan. You could see the damage everywhere.

Hello again,

Want to thank you all for your informative feedback, and referrals, and helping me make a wise decision. This board is awesome. I'm definitely going now. Just to let you know, I know we're not supposed to mention TA's on this board, but I got this information from reading 32 reviews on a very popular site.

Thanks again,

Best,

Bruce

Future Sailing on RCCL, The Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

BAS7......you will undoubtly LOVE this ship. We had an OV cabin that was accessible to everything. #4050 right at the elevators. Up one flight to Strike Up The Band showroom, Lobby, and then walked thru Schooner bar to Carmen Dining room and down two flights from our cabin to exit ship. No walking halls to get anywhere. Elevators were never crowded and came very fast. What a ship!!! Plus, we never felt motion being so centerally located.

BIBB....sorry you didn't make M&M we received nice gifts. Platinum & Diamond C&A had a wonderful steak & egg breakfast for us....and many others great things. I agree with Grenada...they haven't quite got the island ready yet, so we didn't tour it either. I got off and bought some spices for stocking stuffers at Christmas.

Loved Isla Margarita, did a tour with Marlene Lunar thru Walter Molander (Walter Tours). Contact Marlene personally. She was so informative, made many stops and had a great personality. You can reach her, for those that are interested at... coralservices@hotmail.com It might take a few days for her to respond, so be patient.

For St. Lucia...you've got to use Cosul Tours...He took us everywhere and was always feeding us with stops to bring us fresh homemade breads and knew this island backwards and forwards. Plus, we stopped at this fabulous place for lunch. We took more pictures and had many stops...so you get your money's worth. Cosul966@hotmail.com

Check out my review on the Roll Call..."Empress of the Sea - 11day S. Caribbean 4/11/05"... by mwsrccl

TWI

We sailed on the Empress in November 2004. Would we go again--you bet. Cozy and comfy--a nice sized ship for an adventure on your own.

We did find that we had more Puerto Rican Citizens on our cruise than in the past--we departed from San Juan.

Linda/Ohio

Hi Robyn922,

Thanks much.

Hope you and yours have a WONDERFUL First Cruise.

Can't wait to hear.

Best,

Bruce

Future Cruise on RCCL, Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

We were also on the April 11 sailing of the Empress and enjoyed the cruise tremendously. We have previously sailed on eight different RCCL ships, but the crew on this ship is by far the frendliest we have encountered.

We were on Deck 8 and did have trouble with our toilet on two separate occasions but each time the problem was fixed within 15 minutes of our calling. We were told that there was a problem with the vacuum in the system, and after the second "fix" there were no more incidents.

We would not hesitate to book another cruise on the Empress.

TwiliteNights,

We made the steak & egg breakfast as well as the welcome back parties. One couple in our group was Gold so, when we got our robes, I let the lady in that couple have mine. I'm usually too hot while in the cabin to begin with so I certainly didn't need the robe. :) I did the same with another couple when we sailed the Nordic Empress (in her first life) in Dec 2003. On that cruise, the special was a steak lunch instead of a breakfast.

The C&A perks aren't very much unless you look back at them. 30 minutes free internet, we had several free drinks (and snacks) at the two welcome back parties and memosas at the breakfast, we played the slots for a bit on the free quarters, we got two free 8X10 photos, two free drinks, and we didn't use all our coupons.

The captain, as he addressed the passengers, kept referring the Empress and its small size as RCI's only Yacht. It was super easy to get around on it and, while it doesn't have to great amenities of the big ships, it has the beauty.

Hi Bibb,

We will be sailing on the Empress on the 14, and this will be our 2nd RCI cruise. You mentioned the C& A perks was that for gold or platinum?? What was the gift that you received? Thanks in advance for answering these questions:cool: Jill

canadacruiser74,

Thanks for posting the Virtual Tour of the Empress of the Seas. Looks like a great ship. I had some reservations, but after reading the CC member's opinions on this thread, I'm now really excited.

CC is such a valuable resource.

Best,

Bruce

MS Volendam, December 16th 2004

Future sailing: RCCL Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

Thanks to everyone for all the info. a group of 8 will be on the jan. 16th 11 night out of san juan. please keep us posted of any fun stuff that would be of intrest to us. We all like to swim and snorkel, also will drink.

She was our first ship, she was our last ship, and she is our next ship. Nuff said! ;)

OK, maybe not quite 'nuff'. We were on the 11 nighter in January. They've done a great job refurbishing her. You'll have a great time.

Hi denb,

Thanks. After reading your post, I have absolutely no doubts now.

Best,

Bruce

Future Sailing: RCCL, Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

Archived