Vancouver Taxi - US Dollars?

tonyt

A few comments from my 4 visits to Vancouver, both cruise and non-cruise. If your travel party is more than 2 adults with luggage, you may need 2 taxis. The cabs are Camry sized with limited passenger and trunk space. But I recall there are minivan taxis as well.

On the other hand, if you are traveling light and there's a big queue for taxis you might consider using Skytrain from Canada Place to the airport. It's cheaper and quite often faster.

Skytrain ticket machines accept credit and debit cards. Which leads to my last point; maybe it's a personal "thing", but please go to the effort of using Canadian currency (or plastic). Although it's not your intent, it feeds the Ugly American stereotype. I'm sure it wouldn't go over well if Canadian tourists were constantly expecting merchants or cab drivers in your area to accept Canadian money! :) Most Canadians are exceptionally polite and won't say anything, but will probably be grumbling inside.

Again, my info is from experience as an occasional visitor, so if something is not correct or off-base, the locals should correct me!

Just a couple of things, Vancouver's cab fleet is now about 80% Prius in size but will handle two or three (I have seen four people pile in) with luggage. With 3 or more people mini-van cabs are available you just have to wait an extra minute or two...and there is no extra charge for the mini-van.

As for Canadian vs US funds, retail and service providers in Vancouver & Victoria think nothing of accepting US funds...it's courtesy and part of business. In fact our provincial liquor stores take US funds as does the Canadian Post Office. However, just please don't expect your change in US funds and don't make an issue about getting your change in Canadian funds....that is where the ugliness comes into play.

Archived