Cephalonia Highlights trip in Argostoli

The Macpac

Hi has anyone been on HAL's Cephalonia Highlights ship tour with the

scenic island drive through olive groves, vineyards and thick cypress glades. which climbs Mt Ainos and passes the city of Sami, where Captain Corelli's Mandolin was filmed. There is then a boat trip on a small boat in Melissani Lake into the cave. Our son is only three and I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me a little bit more about the tour and its suitability for us as a family with a young son (husband also had major knee surgery in December so difficult walks are not an option for us)

Thanks

I saw your post when I was checking replies to my own post so I thought I would try and help you. I haven't been on this tour as I have never cruised to Cephalonia but it's an island I know extremely well as I have been there five times , each time for two weeks. I have travelled all over the island including to Sami and Melissani Lake and also the boat on the lake. The only thing I would say re Melissani is that depending on the time of year you are visiting the island the queue to get on the boats on the lake can be very long. The boats are also small rowing boats and if your husband has had knee surgery he may find difficulty in getting in and out of the boat. As for your three year old - would depend on how lively they are! Sami is not terribly romantic, it is a port town (small, even Argostoli is just a large town) from where many ferries leave to outlying islands. We have caught the ferry there several times to go to Ithaka. Cephalonia is my favourite Greek island. It is absolutely beautiful, verdant as it has a lot of rain in the winter and with stunning scenery. If your husband has some mobility problems, you may like to consider hiring a taxi for a few hours and getting the driver to take you around the island. I don't know how much the excursion would cost but a taxi for three or four hours wouldn't cost you too much. And perhaps you could share with another couple. Just a suggestion. If you do opt for the excursion I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with Cephalonia - just beautiful.:)

Ros

Archived