Waiting in Vancouver for train to Seattle - What to do with Luggage??

puhkuh

We disembark from the Island Princess in Vancouver on July 4th. We will be catching the 5:45 train to Seattle that afternoon. My mom & aunt will be staying in Vancouver. We hope one of their hotel rooms will be available to stash our luggage until it's time to head to the Amtrak station. But, if not, what can we do with our luggage all day?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

We disembark from the Island Princess in Vancouver on July 4th. We will be catching the 5:45 train to Seattle that afternoon. My mom & aunt will be staying in Vancouver. We hope one of their hotel rooms will be available to stash our luggage until it's time to head to the Amtrak station. But, if not, what can we do with our luggage all day?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

The Via Rail baggage desk at the station itself will hold bags for $3 each. They've been known to tie straps from a couple of bags together and call it one bag:)

One note, if you are checking baggage, unlike other Amtrak stations, you cannot check your bags until boarding. The Via baggage desk at the station can only hold Amtrak bags, they can't check them. At Vancouver, you check in, go through US Immigration and then check your bags right on the platform at trainside.

I agree with everything they said. Last year we got off the ship at Canada Place and immediately jumped into a cab to the train station. Dropped off our bags (for $3 a piece) and then picked them up to wait in line to board and check them.

Then we walked across the street and grabbed the light rail train to go all over downtown.

I will note a couple things:

1. The VIA rail station deals in Canadian $. They did accept US $ at I think a 1:1 exchange. They gave me change in Canadian $. Unfortunately, I only had big bills so they had to give me change for a $100 on a $12 bill. I did not think about that ahead of time. I don't think they were too happy about that (and probably wouldn't have with Canadian dollars either). Anyway lesson learned to at least bring small bills--and exact bills would probably be best.

2. The lines start filling up for the train about 45 minutes-1 hour ahead of time. Do purchase first class. My lesson learned was to have stuff all filled out before getting in line (customs declaration, tickets, etc).

It was a pretty easy experience, easier than picking up our bags in Seattle at the Amtrak station!

Even if the hotel rooms are not ready any hotel will hold your luggage at the bell desk or in their lock-up for you. There is no reason to be going over the Amtrak station to check luggage early.

Archived