North Sea conditions

Italian Nancy

We are looking at a June cruise on the Golden Princess, leaves London and visits Wales, Ireland and Scotland. My concern is the potential North Sea conditions while travelling "over the top" of Scotland. Has anyone had any experiences they want to share with me ??

thanks

The North Sea, like any body of water, has its "moments"

I have sailed the North Sea when it has been a millpond, and also when it has been rough (very rough).

Not the North Sea, but we had a very rough ferry ride on the Irish Sea, between Dublin and Wales couple years back. People attempting to walk being thrown to the floor, merchandise in shops strewn all about, etc.

We had a very rough trans-Atlantic, Golden Princess, Aug 02. Bow slap spray raining down on balconies on Caribe Deck (deck 10), windows shattering along Prom Deck, etc. Don't believe people who say the Grand ships ride better because of size. They are very beamy, relatively shallow draft with flat bottom, and prone to movement from wind abeam. In rough seas, I would much rather be on a ship with a liner-like hull, ala Royal Princess, which takes to rough water very well.

I think sea state is always a crapshoot.

The North Sea, like any body of water, has its "moments"

I have sailed the North Sea when it has been a millpond, and also when it has been rough (very rough).

Not the North Sea, but we had a very rough ferry ride on the Irish Sea, between Dublin and Wales couple years back. People attempting to walk being thrown to the floor, merchandise in shops strewn all about, etc.

I think sea state is always a crapshoot.

LOL...We must have been on that same ride across the Irish Sea between Dublin and Wales..It took us 5 hours to do a 2 plus minutes crossing..Very rough seas and the wind was so strong up top that you could lean way into it and it would hold you up! Quite a crossing..We loved it!

elmtree

I don't particulary mind rough water. We are booked on Regal Princess 'round the Horn, Mar 06, and those waters down there are often rough.

Reference the rough ferry crossing on the Irish Sea - wish I had had a video going. My sis-in-law, in the restaurant, carrying her tray of food, attempting to negotiate a stairwell when the ferry took a bad bounce - tray of food flew out of her hands, fish, chips and tartar sauce landing on head of gent at table below - looked like something out of a Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin movie. The gent was very gracious about it - my sis-in-law of course was mortified.

Archived