Swimming with sting rays for 7 yr. old??

iluvcruises

I have pictures of my kids, who were ages 11 and 7 at the time, swimming with the Stingrays and having a wonderful time. We went with Nativeway and I think having a small group on our tour was a big help. Also, I brought along underwater cameras for each of the kids and they had a ball taking pictures. I don't remember if they actually tried feeding them but they did touch the sting rays.

It's funny. We just got back from another cruise and went horseback riding on the beach. My son, who is now 9, had only been on a horse once before. I was worried how he'd handle it but, again, we booked through a small tour provider and it was a success. I think if you don't show nervousness, your kids won't even think to be nervous! My son had a ball on his horse. You'd think he'd ridden a lot because he was so comfortable. It was one of the highlights of this year's cruise.

My motto is to get them (meaning my kids!) out there and explore. They've come to realize that when you explore the world you see some pretty amazing things.

Good luck!!

We just returned from a trip aboard the Carnival Miracle. We took our 6-year-old daughters to Stingray City. They loved it. It's a sandbar, so the water is only 3 or 4 feet. We booked over the Internet through Cap't. Marvin's there or four days before we were scheduled to be in Grand Cayman. It was a top-notch operation and we saved a considerable amount of money by booking through them rather than Carnival. It was the first non-cruise line excursion we've ever booked. I can't imagine doing it any other way from now on (as long as we've done our homework on a Web site like this one).

We were down there a few years ago, when our boys were 12 and 10. They still talk about it today. The sandbar is very shallow, although probably a bit too deep for a 7 year old to wade. Most of the excursion boats supply float vests, so the non-swimmers get to mix right in with the rest of the group and the gentle rays. The boat crew should provide your group with little baggies of squid pieces, and the kids get a huge thrill when the rays suck the squid right out of their hands (don't worry, they have no teeth). The rays will rub up against your legs, sort of like cats when they want attention. Very docile creatures, the stinger halfway down their tails are never an issue unless a person got hugely aggressive and tried to grab the tail and pull hard (who would do that?) The water is crystal clear, the bottom is smooth sand, little or no current (unlike the deeper Sting Ray City) and overall, an experience of a lifetime.

We went with Nativeway with our 4,5,6,&7 year old. We had them in lifejackets and took them in one at a time. They had a ball!!! The water is shallow enough to carry them if need be and the guys from Nativeway gave plenty of attention to our kids letteing them take the wheel and drive the boat (with their assistance of course) It was unforgetable. We recomend Nativeway 100%.

We took our 5 year old daughter to swim with the stingrays in November and it was GREAT! As is stated, you are on a sandbar, so it is easy to hold your child. We did bring her lifejacket (and she wore the jacket) also.

We also went with Captain Marvin's (this was the 2nd time we have used Captain Marvin’s) and they are WONDERFUL. If you go with the cruise ship excursions, you will be on a boat (and in the water) with, I am not kidding, 150+ people. With Captain Marvin's, your are with about 30 people. On our first trip to the stingrays 3 years ago, the water was perfect. Unfortunately, on our second trip, it was so rough (due to high winds) that all the excursions through the cruise ships were cancelled. After we got off the ship and went to the Capt Marvin's office in town, they said we could have a refund due the weather conditions or we could go out--we would not be able to snorkel, but we could get in the water with the stingrays. We opted to go and had an amazing time. It was rough, but we got to touch and hold the stingrays!

My daughter was a little scared at first, but once the Captain Marvin's guide held one up and let her touch it, she was thrilled and just loved the experience.

Archived