Pearl to Alaska Questions

MarcieandTed

Our family of four is considering booking the Pearl out of Alaska this August.

Never cruised on Norwegian before, only RCCL and Celebrity. But this cruise will be with our two girls ages 12 and 14 (the others were w/o kids). We're considering an ocean view with an inside across the hall. Would love to hear from any others what their tweens/teens thought of their Pearl cruise to Alaska. Is the waterslide open in the cold? Are the other activities open and enjoyable? Rock wall, etc?

How is the ship? I know it has never been refurbished. I can imagine it might be tired.

Also, what is the average age group on Norwegian to Alaska? Do you notice a difference in Norwegian's service in Alaska vs. Caribbean?

Thanks! Cruise critic has been invaluable in planning my last two cruises.

I replied to your thread on the AK board. I will be on the Pearl for the first time Sun. I will be doing a review when I return. I know that you first asked about the Jewel. These are sister ships and the main differences are the Pearl has a climbing wall and a bowling alley. We took our late teenaged kids on an AK cruise back in 03 and did the balcony/inside combo. On paper my wife and daughter were in the balcony and me and my son were in the inside. When we got onboard we simply got a set of extra room keycards for each room so we could access each others rooms - you have to be careful as the room keys are not linked to the onboard account - BTW I set up all four of the charge keys to the same account on my credit card. I understand that you can now put limits on the cards so you could give each of your girls an allowance. One other thing that NCL does (not sure about the other lines) is when they take your photo for security your kids photos will be linked with you and your wifes photos so they will not be let off the ship without one of you with them.

I know that I mentioned the suites - while they are more expensive - take a look at the SC 2 bdrm Haven family suites. This way you will have your own living room, and two bedrooms one for the girls and one for you. You will also be treated like royality and have your own butler who will serve you any meal in your suite - from any place on ship. I know that the cost right now is around double the cost of what you are thinking about. Also one of the suite perks is being able to have your own deck (in addition to your balcony) to enjoy Glacier Bay - or any of the great AK scenery.

I know from experience that the both connecting and accross the hall rooms tend to go fast - although with this economy perhaps not. I know that the price of the suites are going up right now - which means that there are just a few left - if they don't sell then perhaps you could get a deal on them.

Good luck with whatever you decide

We have been on NCL to AK 7 times (#8 coming up) and one of those times was on the Pearl. (2009). I think you will find the ship enjoyable and I wouldn't worry about the fact that it hasn't been refurbished. Even tho that may be the case, NCL is good about keeping things maintained even while underway.

The average age group - that is a hard question to answer. The ages run the gamut from new babies to people into their 90's. Not sure which part of the month of August but if it's near the latter end of the month you will see fewer kids on board as many will have gone back to school by then. The kids clubs seem to be very popular and active, if your kids are interested in that. I have no doubt they will keep busy and happy even without the kids/teen club.

Have fun!

Archived