Belize- Booking excursion on my own vs through Carnival

baylorbear87

I've been doing alot of researching for what to do in Belize. I am interested in getting over to Ambergris Caye and spend the day snorkeling and maybe a beach BBQ, but none of the ships excursions go there. They say it is prettier than Goff's Caye and Caye Caulker. I saw a package deal by flying over from the airport which only takes 15 minutes. I also saw where I could take the water ferry which takes at least 45 minutes. My question is are we going to have to wait to take the last tenders off the boat if we didn't book our excursion with Carnival? Is there any way to get around that???

but will be there January 2006. From my experience, at every port that requires a tender allows the ship-sponsored shore excursion guests off first so that they can keep to their schedule and return the pax to the tender pick-up point on time after the tour is over. Those that do not have cruie-line sponsored shore excursions generally must wait and be the last off of the ship. Like it or not, the cruise lines point of view is that they are going to take care of the pax who purchased thorugh the cruise line--don't like the inconvenience?? Shoulda bought from Carnival, Princess, RCI, or whoever the cruise line happens to be. Sorry, but that's the way it is...also, I would be very hesitant to not book through the cruise line right now with the political unrest in Belize right now. But that may change depending on when your cruise is. One thing that I don't see mentioned on these boards very often is the question of whether these tour operators will actually be in business when you arrive at the port. I would guess that more than likely, they will, but the fact remains that most of the ports cruise ships visit are developing countries, economies may not be very strong, and all of the passengers who book on their own through tour operators may get shafted if the tour company goes out of business. At least if you book through the cruise line, you may have some recourse for a full refund of your tour price.....just some thoughts for you...if you still plan to fly to that island, you may have a hard time if you have to book a flight ahead of time---there's no telling when you'll actually get off of the ship...let alone getting to the airport.

There's no way to tell if you are going to be able to get on an early tender until you're on the ship. Some people have said they weren't able to, had to wait for ship tours first; others have had luck. You just can't count on it.

We've been on several cruises and have planned our own tours most of the time, but in Belize we took a ship's tour (Goff's Caye) because I just felt safer that way. The tour boat picked us up and dropped us off right at the ship (eliminating the need for tendering at all!). To save a couple of bucks (and it wasn't much), some people tendered into Belize City and took a tour from there to Goff's Caye. Now, in your case, you really want to go somewhere that's not offered by the ship. Many people have done it. Just monitor the political situation going on and be sure to pad a lot of extra time to get back to the ship. In our case, Belize was the last stop, so missing the ship would mean missing the last couple of days and meeting up with our luggage in Tampa!:eek: I just didn't want to chance it. It's hard to describe, but the ship "docks" in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. The tour boat took quite a while to get to Goff's Caye........we saw no other boats or land until we got there. If the boat broke down, at least they could radio to Carnival that we would be late; with an independent tour, they don't have to wait for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Belize is not a third world, developing country. As a single woman traveler, I have been there in 2003 and 2004. The people are very civilized, speak English, use our currency, Same electric as u.s.

Since cruise ships do not allow much time to really see the country, it would probably be better for cruisers stopping there, to just check out Belize City, or take one of the cruise ship excursions. The closest Mayan ruin, Altun Ha, is still at least a 4 hour tour. Caye Caulker is small, Ambergris Caye is much more fun and has beaches. Never heard of Caye Geoff. Am not aware of any dangerous political situation. Check out the official Belize web site for some info and photos.

Enjoy!!!

I agree that many of the people on Belize were wonderfully hospitable. My daughter and I did the Geoff's Caye scuba trip and the crew and people on the small island we went to were very nice and the Captain was well educated. I too have traveled to a lot of the Carribean islands, as well as many countries alone on business - including Israel, and this was the only time I was uncomfortable when walking alone off the beaten path. Just my opinion though.

Enjoy your trip - whatever you choose to do with your day!!

Archived