National express anyone used/or can anyone recommend

Hi we had planned to book our transfers to port with portlink, I tried to book today only to be told the coach is full...........i am shocked, I have never been on a full coach to either southampton or Dover so never thought to book earlier.

now we are left with options, looked at train but far too expensive,

looked at national express, it is cheaper but seems a long day, very early start and we need to get to a central point to start journey so more cost.

but has anyone used, what is the service like? whats it like at the change over point in London? whats luggage handling like?

or alternative is to drive and park the car, not something i enjoy or really want to do, but now considering, we have done it in the past went day earlier and stayed at travellodge or premier inn.

anyone got any suggestions ideas that I may not have thought of?

oh yes I also looked at flying, it cost over £800 and got us there too late for departure so not a good option!!

thank you

There are a couple of points we need before we can comment really.

Where are you starting from and which port - Southampton or Dover.

I am guessing your starting point is somewhere in Outer Mongolia if air fare is so much !

I can recommend the train from and back to Manchester, runs every hour, seats bookable, Crosscountrytrains.co.uk. you can book direct with them or cut price deals with

If you go to http://www.redspottedhanky.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=redspottedhanky&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_content=s22bj58Ob_pcrid_16146818745_plid__kword_redspottedhanky

you will find them easy to book with,I,ve used them on a regular basis.

As the old saying goes ,let the train take the strain.

Fred runs a free shuttle from and to Southampton station.:)

hi popsey wopsey thanks for the info, we have just been looking at train as an option. our actual nearest station is wigan. i have checked and we could get a train from wigan to birmingham and change there to southampton. couple of questions if i may. does there tend to be room on the train for luggage and would we be likely to get seats, are they reliable, that is arrive on time.........the lowest price is named train times only have you used that service, just a bit worried if one train is late causing us to miss connection. also bit worried about change at birmingham with luggage etc.........bit of a stress head as you can see....dont want to miss cruise...thanks for help

Hi, I,ve used the train on numerous occasions to get to Southampton,Birmingham is a pain to change at,I would suggest you get a train ,if possible to Manchester then straight to Southampton,there is room either end of the coaches for luggage and on overhead racks.

You can book seats in a quite coach as well as normal coach, you can ask for a seat by the toilets or near the luggage rack.

I would think when you mention Wigan ,you are thinking of Virgin to Birmingham ,I have found they have the least luggage room.

Crosscountry run a train every hour and more spacious and good time keeping,I used them last on Easter Sunday from Southampton and although there were major track works its was all worked correctly and my train wasn,t delayed.

What day are you traveling and what day returning, I will go through Red Hankys system for you and see what it brings up from Wigan.:)

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW have used National Express to/from both Southamption and

Portsmouth--cheap, reliable, worth booking in advance. Only went to

London, but Victoria Street Coach Station is pretty compact, should be

no trouble carrying your luggage between coaches (Coaches have plenty

of luggage space)

• 3 weeks later...

just to update for anyone needing information re national express and my original post.

we did book National express in the end and have just returned. the journey was fine. bit long, but was very smooth, and absolutely spot on with timing, i would defo use again and would recommend.

Archived