Planning on Alaska for 2006 - which Princess ship do feel is the best for Alaska?

Finally after years of debate - literally - one of our cruise destinations for 2006 is going to be Alaska. However, with so many choices, I have no idea which ship or itinerary to select. So, for those of you who have cruised Alaska, I ask you "which ship and why"?

Our background - married couple in our very late 30s, both professionals, will be traveling with both sets of parents (ages ranging from 68 - 74), might include friends and other family members but no one under 30 and might have some kids under the age of 15. We are all experienced cruisers.

Help! :D

One thing that you might consider is that the Regal does a RT out of SF to Alaska. It is an eleven day cruise that will not cost you any airfare/hotel expenses. While Princess is scheduled to retire the Regal I am sure that she will be replaced with another ship that will be doing the same RT option from SF.

I heard that the 2006 Alaskian schedule is out, so you might want to take a look to see what options it gives you.

I think the 10 day RT San Francisco/Alaska is a winner.

No thrill like the thrill of sailing out of San Francisco Bay, under the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge.

Living in Tiburon, you would totally avoid any airport hassle.

Lots of good arguments for sailing out of Seattle or Vancouver - you could always make the connection by Amtrak, and again avoid flying.

Choice of ships very subjective. I think the Regal and Sun Princess are great, Coral and Island Princess certainly have all the new bells and whistles and are nice sized, Diamond and Sapphire Princess have many fans - but they are too big for my tastes.

I would love to sail out of SF but, haven't seen anything available for 2006 yet! Unless I'm overlooking it!

Princess just released their 2006 SF sailing schedule today. I will be keeping a close eye on the two September cruises to see if I can get a late season deal. Regal Princess is scheduled to do those cruises.

Archived