So why is fla so much less than tx

There is no comparison Dream vs Magic. Magic is so much better. We did the Dream when it was a few months old. We did the Magic this year out of Galveston. It had everything and so much more. We loved the Magic. Galveston was great. It did cost us more but we really enjoyed it. We have gone out of Florida on over a dozen cruises. Only 1 in Galveston. Airfare was higher to Houston too. We come from RI. I would gladly go back to Texas if we could find a direct flight. We had to waste all day flying. No direct flights when we went in Feb. Magic is the biggest one so that is the reason it is more money. I did Dream once. That was enough for me. We would gladly go back on Magic. Already have the Breeze booked. WE just love the newer ones. So easy to get around. Didn't get lost once. Love the Specialty places.

This sounds like a real possibility. I've noticed New Orleans sailings have decent prices without a ton of competition. My guess is that they have all the reason in the world to offer help to the cruise industry. Maybe Galveston isn't as friendly.

Jim

Probably.

The demand out of New Orleans is strong. The fact that Carnival is placing their next flagship, Carnival Sunshine there is a good indication. Until that happens, the fact that Conquest is one of the next ships to get Fun Ship 2.0 also supports it.

Seasonally, NCL and Royal cruise out of the city, so there is competition. Mississippi River cruises are starting to include New Orleans again.

When it comes to cruising, New Orleans has returned to pre-Katrina numbers and is again one of the fastest growing cruise ports.

Magic fares drop significantly when other ships sail from Galveston.

Example:

7 day W. Carib.

Magic's balcony starts at $1089 in September and drops to $869 in January.

Crown's January balcony fare starts at $899.

Coincidence?:p

Texas has always been more expensive for essentially the same product. We have sailed out of Galveston (and Houston when they were using that port), but paid more always.

We used to fly to Puerto Rico, Aruba, Jamaica, Florida, New York, etc. for emabarkation but not in a few years now. It is too cost prohibitive now with the price of flights and luggage add-ons, etc.

I am leaving out of Houston in two weeks and overpaid compared to what I could get the same/similar thing for in Florida, but airfare does not even it out. I am looking for Thanksgiving in Miamil and it will cost as much to fly from Houston to Miami as the seven day cruise! The cheapest ticket for one is 669.00 coming in early and staying late. Getting the ticket I want is almost 900.00 a person. Obviously I am not going to to do that--thus the reason why fares are higher in Houston. I am sure there are many just like me who refuse to pay that much for air. WE will save the 1800. in air and sail from either Galveston or New Orleans.

RATES INTO ORLANDO...ARE OFTEN CHEAPER. AS AN EXPERIENCED FLYER, YOU PROBABLY ALWAYS CHECK THE RATES THERE..but I am always stunned at the difference between Orlando..and Jackonsville International Airport.

Rent a car....one you can turn in when you get to the port..gett shuttled..then reverse on return? Using the Florida TURNPIKE and little stopping...it is a 3-4 hour drive.

We leave Jax..early in the morning..before dawn....stop in Daytona for Breakfast..driving I95....we are always in Fort Lauderdale by noon...or a little after. Once we even had a fender bender...getting off of the Interstate to kill time..NO NO DON'T DO IT....my DH backed into someone at th BOA. checking out cars calling insurance agents...We still made the boat. Little damage was done. None to their car. Little to ours. But still....time time time

The Florida Turnpike costs a few bucks..but almost no traffic. within the speed limit..you can fly. and you can pick it up in Orlando..or just outside.

Cruise Ships run free buses to The Villages.(around Orlando)....to Daytona BEach.....all along the Eastern seaboard..where ever there are a lot of retirees.

You might want to check on that..Some Big Mythological sounding TA's run their own buses......................

Some buses cost..but it is like $75 RT to Miami and back..nice bus..restroom on board..only cruise passengers on there..not the general public.

I live in Florida. We love Cruisers. They are the best kind of business..and no I am not a TA. Wish I was......

I really do not think that the Magic being the "new" ship has anything to do with it!

I sailed the Ecstasy while it was still here in Galveston for the same price as they were offering on the Dream out of PC, when she was the new ship.

I think Texas being a "centrally located" port has offered a lot of mid westerner's and West Coaster's an opportunity to sail with less airfare dollars. The market here is BOOMING - as far as cruises go. I have been many many more times out of FL ports because I prefer the Eastern Caribbean itineraries - and it ends up being cheaper to fly to FL, have transportation, etc, etc - than it is to sail out of my homeport, Galveston.

I agree,they know they can charge more because they have NO trouble selling out.

I think one reason is that flights to Flordia airports are out of sight and to attrack cruisers they need to have bargains. Any savy cruiser that lives in the middle of the country knows that you need to figure in air to make a true comparison. And a lot of folks are willing to drive 1k miles to Galvestonor New Orleans but not 1600 to Miami or FL.

I think you nailed the reason. There are LOTS of ships sailing out of Florida, and as a result, the supply is much greater, and the demand is probably the same. I guess you just need to get Carnival to move more ships into the Texas market, so that your prices will drop. Or,,,,you could do what I did, and move to Florida, where you can sail from five different ports, all within an easy drive from your front door. ;)

"SKY"

You've got it right!!! Love that we moved to Florida and then found out how much we love cruising. ;)

We live right near the Florida border and I have noticed the deals out of Miami are better than the deals from Tampa or Canaveral. I've always figured there are more sailings from Miami which drives the competition.

But that's just my guess.

Archived