Wheelchair user on the Dream?

guitargal168

Hey all!

I am toying around with the idea of taking my DD (14) and my mother-in-law on a the 3 day trip in November.(sort of a girls long weekend thing!) She is 85 and is completely ambulatory but would need to use a wheelchair fairly regularly on such a big ship. Does anyone here have any experience in that area? Any suggestions, tips and/or assistance would be gratefully appreciated!

OR..am I just crazy to think about this?:rolleyes:

What info do you need?

DCL is very accessible. CMs treat DS [22, 6', wheelchair] like a prince. Only issue was other passengers who rushed into elevators, or clogged the hallways so we had hard time getting thru.

Sorry so late on my reply. I basically could use ANY tips that anyone has regarding sailing with a w/c user! I am fairly new to cruising and know NOTHING at all about this issue other than I assume I would inform Disney at the time of reservation. She doesn't own her own w/c. Is there a place near the port where I can rent one? Are people "aware" enough to let a w/c user get on the elevator or do they still look at it as a free for all? I have had some extremely rude people let their children jump on an elevator with no regard at all to the fact that I was waiting well before they ever showed up! How about table locations in the dining room...excursions....castaway cay....etc. etc. ANY suggestions at ALL are welcome!!

• 4 weeks later...

I also use a wheel chair only because I can't walk very far. I have a very light weight chair from walgreens that folds up. I like to walk on my own in small place such as the restaurants and shops. Just ask a cast member where to set it when you are in a resturant. When waiting for a elevator wait your turn but learn to be vocal "EXCUSE ME PLEASE" can be said to remind people to have manners. I take the wheel chair with me almost every where it gives me place to sit when I can't stand anymore. The piers can be quite long. With the wheelchair she will be able to do everything. walgreens has them for $169

Sorry so late on my reply. I basically could use ANY tips that anyone has regarding sailing with a w/c user! I am fairly new to cruising and know NOTHING at all about this issue other than I assume I would inform Disney at the time of reservation. She doesn't own her own w/c. Is there a place near the port where I can rent one? Are people "aware" enough to let a w/c user get on the elevator or do they still look at it as a free for all? I have had some extremely rude people let their children jump on an elevator with no regard at all to the fact that I was waiting well before they ever showed up! How about table locations in the dining room...excursions....castaway cay....etc. etc. ANY suggestions at ALL are welcome!!

You might want to start with the DCL's Disabled Guest Information brochure for the Dream. Here's a link:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/DCLContent/Media/Assets/ShipsActivities/Ships/Services/_Service_/guests-with-disabilities/DCLDisabilitiesInfoDream.pdf

DCL's webpage for Guests with Disabilities may also be useful:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

Secondly, the two wheelchair/scooter rental companies that seem to be most commonly recommended are SpecialNeedsAtSea and Carevacations. Just add .com to get to their websites. They will coordinate with you and the cruiseline to have the wheelchair or scooter waiting for you in your stateroom. If you or your companion need assistance when boarding/disembarking, the cruise line will have wheelchairs available for temporary use during boarding. Usually, you'll just leave the rental wheelchair or scooter in the cabin when you disembark and the rental company will pick it up from there.

Realize that the wheelchair or scooter will have to be stored IN your cabin, not in the hallways (although we've seen it happen). Stateroom door widths may be an issue as well. Folding wheelchairs are easier to deal with regarding storage and stateroom doorways. When I took my mother on a cruise a while back, we brought her folding wheelchair and reserved an accessible room. An accessible room will have a wider door (32") than a standard stateroom to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter.

Another great resource is the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here at CruiseCritic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Just my two cents, but once you're on the ship, I think that cruises are much more accommodating than land trips for those with mobility challenges. Good luck!

Definitely speak with one of the reps at the DCL special needs department. The ships are generally very accessible. You may want to inquire about one of the accessible cabins if not already booked by a disabled individual. This cabin would have a little more room for the WC in the cabin. Also, you may want to consider renting a power chair or scooter. You or your daughter could get very tired pushing a manual WC around for a day.

Have a great girls cruise out.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Archived