PG scuba help

cwc

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going on the PG 7/2 for 10days (2 days post cruise in Tahiti). We would like to do about 3-4 dives. I want to see sharks and he wants to see Coral.

We will be fully certified by the time of the trip, but I haven’t decided on PADI or NAUI. If any body have any opinion on that please let me know also.

Here are the scuba list on the shore excursion:

Huahine: Huahine’s outer reef

Raiatea: Mushroom Patch

Rangiroa (2days): Motu Nuhi Nuhi, Rangiroa’s Outer reef (experienced certified divers), Tiputa Pass Current Drift (Active advanced divers)

Bora Bora (2days): Table Top. Table top at night

Moorea (2days): The ledge, Shark Gallery

Which one is the must do? Also, any good dive in Tahiti since we will be there for 2 days?

Thanks!

Cindy

I went through NAUI certification about 20 years ago and then went through the PADI course with my daughter 6 months ago to see what was different and to make sure we were on the same page when diving. I can't speak for what NAUI is like today, but the courses I went through were almost identical.

Differences:

1.The PADI dive charts were much easier to learn, but I think that is just because they've been modernized. 20 years ago we had to learn the navy dive tables.

2. The NAUI class was one day a week over a semester, the PADI was a compressed schedule done over a few weeks. Compressed class kept everything fresh, but left little time to let it soak in before the next class.

The most important element to consider is the instructor and then the facility. Find someone you like as an instructor and some place your comfortable to learn in. These two things will make a bigger difference than either certification agency.

Wish I was going with you.:D

I'm a PADI instructor and I agree with JimHam. Correctly taught both agencies will get you to about the same place. Pick the instructor and go with his/her agency. Be sure they insist on following the training standards. If they go "easy on you" you might not have to work as hard but you will not be as safe or have as much fun diving.

Have a great time!

Kent

I'm a PADI instructor and I agree with JimHam. Pick the instructor and go with his/her agency. Be sure they insist on following the training standards. If they go "easy on you" you might not have to work as hard but you will not be as safe or have as much fun diving.

Kent

Couldn't agree more! What I didn't mention earlier is that my DD is only 10 years old. She's been wanting this forever, but still had to go through an interview with the instructor to test her maturity. He then told us both that she would have to perform to the adult standard, since the water doesn't care whether your 10, 25 or 60. After she passed he told me privately that he actually could have let her do a little less and still pass, but he had our safety (since she'll be my primary buddy) as his main concern. The good part of this is that I was able to help my daughter, but not carry her through the course and she now has a very healthy respect for what it takes to dive. In fact on our last trip she refused the second dive just because she was uncomfortable that day (something I have a hard time doing;) )

Thanks everyone for your input.

As of now, I will be going with the NAUI instructor only because her schedule best fit ours. The original plan was to get all our classroom and pool done and finish the open water in Tahiti. But after talking to the instructors, all of them said it is best we get certified in the murky Monterey Bay water, which will prepare us for any bad situation we will face later.

Just kind of worry when she told me the list of requirements:

-Surface swim test (250 yd. or 5 laps)

-Underwater swim test (50 feet)

-Treading water (10 minutes)

Treading water for 10minutes :eek: … I will be lucky if I do 5.

The instructors you have spoken with are absolutely right to recommend that you finish your certification before going on your trip. Especially since you will have murky water - the best training possible. If you can dive in yuk, you can dive anywhere.

If you have time to fit in a couple of dives before your trip, even better. Even flopping into the neighbor's pool is a great confidence builder, and will give you an opportunity to practice your skills a little bit.

A lot of our local students have trained in our icky local lakes, and when they get into the ocean, it's awesome to see their faces.

Have a great trip and welcome to diving!

Wendy

Archived