Scuba Cruise

Sailfish

Suzi,

One other question.....What is the weather like at these places during that time of year.... Will it be a cold dive or warm dive? Debbie

The Western Caribbean has great weather in December. You can expect water temps to be around 80 degrees. But when doing multiple dives, a shortie or 2mm/3mm wet suit is the way to go. Please go to our group forum for more specific input on this dive trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245

I am anticipating air temps to be in the mid-80's - a welcome respite from our cold and rainy weather here in Northen Califoirnia in December. Dive conditions in our ports of call should be good, though in Cozumel, I have some concerns, as we dive so late in the day (the currents later in the day have a tendancy to speed up). But I have a hunch the dive op will take us to a site where the diving will be easy - so no worries!

Anyother questions...let me know.

Ok, I have signed up and paid the deposit...........woo hoo........... I'm very jazzed........ awesome job Suzi...........:D

Sounds great!! It should be a fun...thanks for the heads up.

This is just a reminder that if you are interested in joining the group, you have only until Friday, May 27th to take advantage of the reduced $25pp deposit (on double occupancy, non-suite cabins only) which LOCKS in our group rate. Please be sure to visit our group forum for more information.

I am so excited.....I am now a Certified Open Water Scuba Diver...I did my beach dive today and my buddy and I are certified...... woo hoo.... I am going into the advanced in 3 weeks to get more experience then planning to dive my heart out...lol....Well not literally but I am very jazzed.... It's like a whole new world opened up.....Way cool...:D

I am so excited.....I am now a Certified Open Water Scuba Diver...I did my beach dive today and my buddy and I are certified...... woo hoo.... I am going into the advanced in 3 weeks to get more experience then planning to dive my heart out...lol....Well not literally but I am very jazzed.... It's like a whole new world opened up.....Way cool...:D

I am so excited for you...Congratulations!! Have a glass of champagne on me!! Did you have fun?

I got certified on the North Coast (Monterey) of California in the middle of December (in the cold and rain). I had procrastinated so long, that our first real dive vacation in the Bahamas over Christmas was fast approaching, and I was still not yet certified. Suffice it to say, I was under a lot of pressure to get it over with, so I took an "executive course" - one weekend for class and pool work, and one weekend for our open water dives.

My experience wasn't what I would call enjoyable, as there was maybe 10 feet of visibility and tons of surge in 50 degree water, so as I was going though my skills underwater, the instructor had to hold onto the cumberbund of my BC to keep me from drifting away. I passed with flying colors, but I have not been back to dive in that part of California since - and it's been 15 years!!

I thought about getting advance certified, but never did. I am presently thinking about doing so, combined with NITROX this summer. A lot depends on how much time I have. Mike isn't interested, but I might opt to do so. Will you also be getting NITROX certified? Up here, you can get the certification combined with the AOW for only $25 more.

Mike and I have made arrangements to go to Puerto Vallarta at the end of June - we're looking at diving in the Las Marietas Islands while there. We're planning on hauling our gear to Mexico, but I can't say how much we will dive - PV isn't what I would call a dive destination. But we will get wet all the same.

I am very happy for you! I'm anxiouse to hear how your Advance class goes - hopefully you can give me some feed back, as like I said, I am considering taking it myslef this summer.

Hey suzi, I know what you mean about bad conditions.... It started off Foggy/rough @ Redondo-had to move. Then at Big Rock in Malibu, rough and rock entry....had to move again....Then we went to Malibu Lagoon.... much calmer, still had lot's of surge but that wasn't too bad til like you said, being under the water doing skills and trying not to drift away...lol.... But the terrible part was the visibility....it stunk.... maybe 1-2ft if lucky.... Our instructor took us both by the hand to swim around.... the mask off/on wasn't so bad...couldn't see anyways so why worry.....lol.......

I'm excited about the Advanced class.. I want more dives under supervision... I feel like I know enough to be dangerous.... lol... Meaning, still need to work on bouyancy issues and navigation... Which thank god we knew yesterday because that was the only way to get back/forth to shore.....lol....water was about 57 degrees...I am definitely looking forward to our nice tropical areas to see things... we did see a huge crab and a bubble dose (sp) stingray.... otherwise, nothing.... I don't think I'll do the Nitrox...Maybe later.... I will give you feedback on the advanced class.... I just want more dives so I can get my bearings and feel more like I know what I'm doing....lol....... And I need some strength training... my legs get so weak/tired after a dive..... Guess the stairmaster is in order......lol:D

Hey suzi, I know what you mean about bad conditions.... It started off Foggy/rough @ Redondo-had to move. Then at Big Rock in Malibu, rough and rock entry....had to move again....Then we went to Malibu Lagoon.... much calmer, still had lot's of surge but that wasn't too bad til like you said, being under the water doing skills and trying not to drift away...lol.... But the terrible part was the visibility....it stunk.... maybe 1-2ft if lucky.... Our instructor took us both by the hand to swim around.... the mask off/on wasn't so bad...couldn't see anyways so why worry.....lol.......

I'm excited about the Advanced class.. I want more dives under supervision... I feel like I know enough to be dangerous.... lol... Meaning, still need to work on bouyancy issues and navigation... Which thank god we knew yesterday because that was the only way to get back/forth to shore.....lol....water was about 57 degrees...I am definitely looking forward to our nice tropical areas to see things... we did see a huge crab and a bubble dose (sp) stingray.... otherwise, nothing.... I don't think I'll do the Nitrox...Maybe later.... I will give you feedback on the advanced class.... I just want more dives so I can get my bearings and feel more like I know what I'm doing....lol....... And I need some strength training... my legs get so weak/tired after a dive..... Guess the stairmaster is in order......lol:D

We had to do a beach entry/exit in Monterey - exit meaning we had to crawl out onto the beach on my last check-out dive. Oh my...I couldn't stand up, with the waves breaking on top of me. I was in tears, thinking they would fail me for not being able to stand up! I should not have worried, as UW I was fine. I had an audience cheering for me as I struggled out of the ocean - a beached whale of an exit - I had on cold water equipment & weights and everyone (excpet me) in the class was a guy!

When do you start your advance class? Will you be heading to Catalina or to the channel islands for your check-out dives? My dive shop goes to Monterey - but all are boat dives, I think. I'm hoping my husband can come out on the boat with me to dive. I'm thinking maybe about doing the advance class while in Mexico next month - under better conditions. I'll have to look into that - heading back to Monterey just does not appeal to me.

Archived