HMC Stingray

Anyone done the stingray excursion on HMC?

Does it sell out? I am trying to decide if i want to book it now or wait til we are on the ship (for a few reasons). My family is doing the stingray adventure at Atlantis but since my youngest dd is not old enough i will be sitting out with her. So since this is something i really want to do i am thinling about doing in at HMC.

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

I did book the early excurtion in Feb. for HMC stingray on reason just so DH and I could get off the ship early. I hear its not as great as going in Grand Cayman but want my husband to do this. We also have booked the stingray swim and snorkel with Stingray Sailings on line in GC.

I have done the HMC Stingray encounter twice. Also once in Grand Cayman (via the ship - can you say cattle car?). A handful of visits to the Seaworld Stingray exhibits were more satisfying to me.

To me, the people at the HMC encounter were a bit stingy with the food and stingray time....maybe overly protective? The rays only come to you if you have food. Granted, there are some first-timers who may be nervous of a new kind of creature (unlike a cat or dog), but I thought the reins were held too tightly, so to speak. It may actually be perfect for those who are brand new to the experience and/or nervous.

Next time I visit Grand Cayman, I will take a separate tour. I'm looking forward to my next Seaworld visit!

I aways book with Stingray Sailings on line, they have their own web page and very good to work with. They have great reviews you can read on trip advisor. I know what you mean about cattle craw, I look over at the Carnival excutions and wow to many people for me!!! I heart Stingray Sailings can't say enough good about them!!!

We did this excursion last summer while on the Liberty. It was inexpensive compared to other Stingray adventures on other islands and was short because it was right there. So we could still enjoy our beach time. We found we were able to touch stingrays before the "official" feeding and then they had a photographer there to get a good photo op. Our group was less than 20, so not crowded. For the price, you cant beat it.

I posed a question about this excursion earlier this year on the Ports of Call Board. My daughter (mid 20's) chose to do this excursion and after we returned, I posted a review of her experience. Here's that review:

We're back from our trip and I'll give you a report of the Stingray Adventure on HMC (according to my daughter who actually did the trip). "It was AWESOME!"

She was scheduled for the first tour of the day (10 am) and when we arrived on HMC, it was overcast and drizzling. We checked with the Activities Desk after we got off the tender and they said the tour would be cancelled if it were raining. (Not sure why rain would affect a tour like this). Anyway, she went back shortly before 10am and the tour was on despite the still drizzly weather.

There were 15 people in her group. They were shuttled to the stingray enclosure (a short distance from the Activities Desk) and given snorkel gear and an inflatable vest which they had to wear (but they didn't have to inflate). She was first in the water, so she had time to snorkel and see the stingrays, sea cucumbers and sea stars before the rest of the group got in the water. They had around 15- 20 minutes or so to snorkel on their own (the enclosure is not that large) before the feeding presentation began. Everyone got squid to feed the stingrays that came into the group for feeding. (There are 12 or so stingrays in the enclosure, but not all of them enjoy being fed by the group, so only 3 came for that.) After the feeding and presentation, my daughter did a quick last snorkel as the group left the water. The entire time in the water was around 45 minutes.

Before lunch, I walked over with her to the stingray enclosure to see them. We arrived as a group was finishing up their feeding session with the rays. There were 28 people in this group. I think my daughter's group was smaller because many people did not leave the ship in the morning to go to HMC because the weather was not "perfect". (I would guess that the groups are generally around 30 people.) I did not see any photographers at the site and she did not mention any photo taking. (Perhaps this was also due to the inclement weather.)

So, based on what I saw and what I heard from my daughter, this would be an excellent excursion for those that have an interest in stingrays. If you know how to snorkel, it would be an even more incredible experience. She felt that the tour was well worth what she paid for it ($35).

We did the stingray encounter in half moon cay in 2009 and I thought it was a complete waste of money. We weren't in the water very long and the stingray area is enclosed.

If you have swam with them in Grand Cayman, you will be thoroughly disappointed in what they have at HMC

I did it on my last cruise...loved it. I was the last one in the water, so I didn't get the full instructions on how to snorkel. I had more fun with my head out of the water anyway. When I did go underwater, I saw some Stingrays and some yellow and black fish.

The guide held one up with his arms around the 'wings', I didn't realize stingrays had mouths....the expression on its face was priceless.

It also spit water. There is a changing area, and a place to put your belongings to store.

The poor Carnival photographer, he had regular clothes on and had to go waist deep in the water to get his shots.

I read on the reviews, the best time to go, is in the morning, later in the day, the Stingrays aren't very hungry.

Melanie

I aways book with Stingray Sailings on line, they have their own web page and very good to work with. They have great reviews you can read on trip advisor. I know what you mean about cattle craw, I look over at the Carnival excutions and wow to many people for me!!! I heart Stingray Sailings can't say enough good about them!!!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it :)

Archived