FRUSTRATED about rules RCI re: non-sailing guests

We're getting married 5/22 on Rhapsody at port before sailing. FH and I are the only ones going on the cruise. I'd been TOLD by my TWE coordinator that the guests would have free reign on the ship before the wedding and ceremony. They would "be guests of the ship for the day." I assumed that meant they could eat in the cafes, get some drinks. But, just got my final paperwork and it says they cannot eat in the Windjammer. I called and asked about that, she said that technically they couldn't, but they might be able to get in and get a snack.

This really worries me: here I am telling everyone they must be at the pier by 10:30 that morning - bridesmaids in their dresses and guys in their tuxes - then they have to wander around the boat for 3 hours or so until the 1:30 ceremony. And they could "try" to get something to eat or drink, but don't get caught! Seems really sketchy, especially for what we're paying for this thing. Ain't cheap.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

I've been on Royal Caribbean as a passenger a couple of times and there is NO identification required to eat at the cafes. They don't ask you to show your room key or anything, they assume everyone on the boat is a guest so as long as your guests aren't wearing some kind of Visitor identification they would be treated the same as the rest of the guests. I know each situation is different and it depends on customs, but when we boarded our honeymoon cruise we were onboard by noon and went straight to the Windjammer which was open and ready for business.

We even toured our ship before our wedding and ate at the cafe (Princess) without any problems and we had the wedding coordinator with her big badge saying VISITOR displayed for all to see. No issues, no one asks if you're "allowed" to eat there as everyone on the boat normally "allowed" so there aren't any questions asked at the buffet.

Frustrating to be told one thing and then be given another in writing, I know, but I wouldn't worry about telling your guests not to get "caught" the crew won't ask for any identification or anything at the buffet, it's a free-for-all.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Your response makes me feel a bit better. I'll go ahead and tell everyone they can make themselves at home on the boat before the ceremony. The "yes, but not technically" thing makes me nervous and I'd be mortified if any of my guests were denied, but I'll just have to hope for the best.

:confused: Girls,

What are you saying? The cafes and buffets are for sailing guests only. Yes, you can bring non sailing guests on the ship to roam around and tour the ship while they wait for you, but they are not entitled to a free lunch. I saw weddings going on before we left Miami and it was exciting. I think if you bring non sailing guests on a boat it is your responsibility to provide them food through a reception, or ask them to please eat a hearty breakfast before the get on the boat. I imagine the boats have stop-gaps in place to prevent these people from having afree lunch. It sounds like you are trying to give your guests a luncheon without any consideration for paid cruise passengers. Please rethink what you are doing and telling your guests to do this because they will be dressed for a wedding and easily identified. You will ruin weddings for future brides if they decide to ban non sailing guests for this reason. Besides, it is tacky to expect the boat to feed your guests; you feed them.

:confused: Girls,

What are you saying? The cafes and buffets are for sailing guests only. Yes, you can bring non sailing guests on the ship to roam around and tour the ship while they wait for you, but they are not entitled to a free lunch. I saw weddings going on before we left Miami and it was exciting. I think if you bring non sailing guests on a boat it is your responsibility to provide them food through a reception, or ask them to please eat a hearty breakfast before the get on the boat. I imagine the boats have stop-gaps in place to prevent these people from having afree lunch. It sounds like you are trying to give your guests a luncheon without any consideration for paid cruise passengers. Please rethink what you are doing and telling your guests to do this because they will be dressed for a wedding and easily identified. You will ruin weddings for future brides if they decide to ban non sailing guests for this reason. Besides, it is tacky to expect the boat to feed your guests; you feed them.

I'm currently working on a cruise wedding; they tell you your guests have free roam of the ship; if it was such a big deal I htink they would specifically say they cant eat.

Hey MayBride05,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding--only 8 days away!!! Your guests probably won't have any trouble eating in Windjammers or any of the promenade level eateries, but just to be safe, you may want to strongly advise them to eat a large breakfast because they *may* not eat again until the reception, which won't be until at least 2:00 pm. That's what I did--and I'm glad I did--because our boarding was delayed several hours, so our guests never did have the few hours to roam the ship that we had expected. (This is uncommon, but does happen.) Best of luck!!!

We're getting married 5/22 on Rhapsody at port before sailing. FH and I are the only ones going on the cruise. I'd been TOLD by my TWE coordinator that the guests would have free reign on the ship before the wedding and ceremony. They would "be guests of the ship for the day." I assumed that meant they could eat in the cafes, get some drinks. But, just got my final paperwork and it says they cannot eat in the Windjammer. I called and asked about that, she said that technically they couldn't, but they might be able to get in and get a snack.

This really worries me: here I am telling everyone they must be at the pier by 10:30 that morning - bridesmaids in their dresses and guys in their tuxes - then they have to wander around the boat for 3 hours or so until the 1:30 ceremony. And they could "try" to get something to eat or drink, but don't get caught! Seems really sketchy, especially for what we're paying for this thing. Ain't cheap.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Our last few cruises, the Windjammer didn't open until 1:00 p.m. - doors were shut tight until then. I don't think you or your guests will want to be in the Windjammer just a few minutes before your ceremony. Just something to consider. I hope you have a wonderful wedding - and marriage.

Best wishes.

May - I called RCI to confirm ridiculous rule. Confirmed. I also asked what food we could bring on board and was redirected off subject. Tried to push me into buying a reception. Told her it was not in my budget and it would do no good anyway, 'cause the recept is AFTER the ceremony. Absoulutly no cooperation on that end.

Soooo, screw 'em. I have enough sailing guest to sneak food out of the WJ (confirmed opens around Noon) if necessary.

Bruiser - I don't really care what you think or how "disgraceful" you think this is. Until you are in my shoes, don't judge.

Kadie, Luv, Gem & Kam - Thanks for the input, ideas and support.

Brian - Good luck with your planning - this is a great place for info. Just ask.

It's not that I'm expecting them to have a free lunch before the reception - it's just that I was being told one thing, then different info was in the paperwork, THEN was told, "yeah, they can, but not really"!!! And it pertained to being allowed into the cafes, not eating there for free. (I've never cruised before, but I assumed they would just pay for whatever they wanted - beer, wine, snack, etc.) And they did tell me straight out that we couldn't bring anything to eat/drink on board with us.

It's just that they are expected to be there a good 3 hours before we start up and I know they might want to get themselves something - coffee, beer, soda, or whatever.

Anyway I'm just telling them they have free reign on the ship, and hopefully if they do want to get a drink or light snack, no one will hassle them.

Cruise to alter - I'll let you know how it goes!

Archived