Transport from Ciampino Airport to Port?

:confused: Does anyone know of safe and affordable (less than 60 Euros per person) transportation from the airport at Ciampino to the port at Citavecchia? Or if you happen to be traveling at the same time as us, would you like to share a shuttle and split the costs?

My boyfriend and I are on the Brilliance of the Seas Mediterranean cruise leaving at 7 PM from Citavecchia. Our RyanAir flight gets into Ciampino at 3:50, so we'll have to go straight to the port.

I'm interested in the train service but had trouble searching on trenitalia.com. Please help!

Beavmonk,

Now I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you are seriously living on the edge! Your flight gets into Ciampino - pardon me - is SCHEDULED to get into Ciampino at 3:50 ( I assume that's 3:50PM) and your ship sails - that's not begins boarding, but SAILS from Civitavecchia- at 7PM?

You are very, very bold.

All I can offer is that IF your flight is on time, and IF you are not checking bags, and IF you get through customs and immigration at Ciampino in an incredibly speedy fashion, then you have a very outside chance of getting to Civitavecchia without being denied boarding. And it will probably only happen if you get a cab or a private driver; public transportation just won't get you there in time.

I'm one of the most optimistic travelers out there, but you are rolling some losing dice on this one, and the odds are stacked against you. Spend big bucks for a private car, try to get an earlier flight, or plan to meet your ship at the next port of call.

Thanks for your very sobering advice. :eek: RyanAir switched us from a 10 AM flight to a 2 PM flight, but maybe it is possible that I can switch out that flight to the day before. And any incurred costs would probably be worth it, I'm assuming.

If we do end up taking an earlier flight, would you be able to recommend any form of public transportation? Train?

Hi Christie...it's Emilie. I found this info from a Rick Steves travel guide. Since Ciampino is Rome's smaller airport there is no train that connects it with Rome like at the Fiumicino aiport. If you want to do public transportation from Ciampino you could take the LILA/Cotral bus to the Anagina Metro stop. There are 2 buses per hour from Ciampino to this metro stop in Rome. From Anagina Metro stop, you would take the metro to Termini Station (Rome's main train station). After that you can buy a train ticket from Termini to Civitavecchia sp? for around 5 euros. This would definitely be a money saver, but I'm sure it would take too long if you don't get an earlier flight. Since we'll already be in Rome, we plan on taking the train sometime in the early afternoon. Hope this helps a bit! 17 days until our cruise!! YAY!!

Emilie! I am so glad you wrote because I lost your email address. And as always, your information is a life saver. I should read up on Rick Steves myself! I'm going to check with the airline to see if we can get a flight the day earlier just to be on the safe side. Thank you so much!!:) (What's the word on all the excursions? Yes to Sicily and Florence - any other one? Want to email me at my hotmail account?)

I am SUPER excited for this trip!!!

Hi Beavmonk,

If time is indeed on your side, there is a bus service from Ciampino direct to Via Marsala at Termini station.

Go to the web site,

www.terravision.it

for timetable, fares, etc. From Termini station there are regular trains to Civitavecchia throughout the day. From the Civitavecchia station it is about a 10-15 minute walk to the pier, or a quick cab ride. Sometimes a shuttle bus is available from Civitavecchia train station to your ship.

Have a wonderful, happy trip.

Archived