Holiday Inn Express/Convention Cntr

kdinkus1

:confused: We are booked at the Holiday Inn Express/Convention Cntr on 17th street in December. Has anyone stayed there? What about restaurants and shopping? It has received good reviews on other hotel sites, but haven't heard too much on the cruise critic site. Help please! Thanks.

I haven't been inside that hotel, but it looks very nice on the outside. It's in a GREAT location! It's within easy walking distance of many many shops and restaurants. Everything you could possibly want is along that SE17th Street corridor. It's 10-12 minutes from the airport and just outside the entrance to Port Everglades.

:confused: We are booked at the Holiday Inn Express/Convention Cntr on 17th street in December. Has anyone stayed there? What about restaurants and shopping? It has received good reviews on other hotel sites, but haven't heard too much on the cruise critic site. Help please! Thanks.

We're staying there on 5/20 before our 5/21 Zui cruise:D --I'll post my thoughts when we get back (so far, we haven't stayed at a bad Holiday Inn Express).

Connie:)

Hello

we stayed at the motel in sept prior to our caribbean princess cruise the motel is very clean and the front desk was very friendly and helpful. There are many resturants within walking distance to the motel and also the water taxie is within walking distance there is a strip mall across the street for some shopping or you can take the water taxi for 5.oo all day on and off as much as you like and go to the shopping area Las olas blve the water taxi is fun itself and very cheap. Then motel has a pretty good cont breakfast but if you like a full breakfast there is a cafe in the strip mall right up from the motel that has great breakfast. I dont think you will dissapointed Have a great cruise If you need any more imfo please feel free to e-mail me at cybrguys1@netzero.net James

I just booked our reservations here for our November cruise. It good to hear that the hotel is alright. We'll be here for one night so we don't need 5 star accomidations. Just a clean room to stay in before the cruise.

I have a coworker who has stayed at the HI Express Convention Center

3 times waiting for a cruise and highly recommend it to our group staying there 12/26/05 before our Radisson Diamond cruise.

Some where here at CC I posted a map of the area showing places close by.

I just can't find it.

OK I found it.

This is for a Watch convention but heck it works for us too!!

http://www.nawcc2005national.com/local_businesses.html

Thanks to everyone for their posts! I am now more comfortable staying here before our cruise. Also a big thanks to Jim B for his map of the area! Cruise Critic Board Members ARE THE BEST!!!

That map isn't too accurate anymore, there have been several changes in the past few months. The biggest change that is of interest to most cruisers though is that the Publix grocery store has moved to a brand new strip mall behind the Embassy Suites.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from 5/21 Zuiderdam cruise--we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express/Convention Center the night before sailing. We were going to use their free shuttle service from the airport but when I called they said they were on their way to pick up a party of 7 and we'd have to wait 20-30 minutes for the return shuttle. We took a cab instead. The hotel is very nice and clean. There's a Publix, Walgreens, and CVS within walking distance. A nice little Italian restaurant/take out is right across the street--got a huge meal and bottle of wine to take back to the hotel. We found out that if you booked your room after 5/1, the shuttle to Port Everglades is now $6/person. They said that that there was always jostling for space in their hotel van, so they've subcontracted the port shuttle. We had a really bad experience in Orlando trying to get a shuttle to the airport (even though we had reserved a time) so we understood their reasoning. Because we booked our room in April, the shuttle was no charge. They aren't volunteering this info, though--I had to bring up the fact that when I booked, I was told the shuttle was free--then they checked my booking date and waived the fee.

The breakfast is a little lacking from other Holiday Inn Express breakfasts--plus they have VERY limited seating and the same people who were at the tables at 7am were still there when we walked to Walgreen's at 10am.

All in all, I'd probably stay there again--but I would check beforehand to see if nearby hotels were still offering free shuttles to the port, and if these were operating on time.

I am booked in this hotel before our October Caribbean Princess cruise. Does any one know if it is possible to walk there? It sounds really close, but with baggage is it doable? Also is it a problem to get a taxi to take you or is the best bet the hotel shuttle? We are probably wanting to get there before the hotel shuttle even beging running. DH and I are looking to get to port sometime around 9-930. We are usually early risers and figure there is nothing much better to do (with little time) so we just go to the port early and wait (play cards, talk to others there or read) until they start boarding.

TIA

Terri

The front desk people offered to call cabs for anyone who didn't want to wait for the shuttle--it's about the same cost ($12 or so). I heard another family ask them about walking--they said you could do it, but it would be awkward with the luggage. Sure enough, we saw the 7 of them heading down the sidewalk, pulling their luggage. Personally, I get tired of dealing with the luggage at the airports so I'd rather pay the $12:) The shuttle ran at 11am and noon to the port--ours left around 10:45 because we were all on board.

Happy sailing!:D

It's a much longer walk than you may think, and would be difficult with luggage. It's not as straight of a shot as it appears on the map because you have to go in and through the security checkpoint and then back around to the Princess terminal. Do yourself a huge favor and just take a taxi, it won't cost more than a few dollars.

Thanks all, The cost of the cab was not the issue. The ability to get a cab to come take us such a short distance was the issue. DH figured it would be difficult to get them to come on time.

Thanks

Terri

Can anyone tell me for sure if the Holiday Inn Express Conv. Center has free shuttle TO Airport? We called yesterday and made reservation for night after cruise in Oct. When my husband asked about shuttle to airport she at first said no, they didn't have one. Then she said Oh, yeah, we just started having one in May.

We're not concerned about shuttle from port to hotel - we'll just do a taxi.

We don't mind a taxi TO airport - just want to know what's what.

Thanks for any info.

Patsy

Not sure if they have one TO airport, but some info you may want. Apparently they used to provide a FREE shuttle to the port and are now charging $6 per person. If they have one to airport it may be a charge also.

We were told they do have free shuttle service TO and FROM the airport, but because they are so busy they contract with someone else to take you to the ports so it DOES cost you $6.00 per person for that.

we stayed at the motel in sept prior to our caribbean princess cruise the motel is very clean and the front desk was very friendly and helpful. There are many resturants within walking distance to the motel and also the water taxie is within walking distance there is a strip mall across the street for some shopping or you can take the water taxi for 5.oo all day on and off as much as you like and go to the shopping area Las olas blve the water taxi is fun itself and very cheap. Then motel has a pretty good cont breakfast but if you like a full breakfast there is a cafe in the strip mall right up from the motel that has great breakfast.

Just booked our Oct pre-cruise there - thanks for the good info. One question: you say the water taxi is "within walking distance." Some of our group may have more difficulty than others --- would you say this is a block or so, or further? thanks a lot.

One question: you say the water taxi is "within walking distance." Some of our group may have more difficulty than others --- would you say this is a block or so, or further? thanks a lot.

It's safe to say its a block or so. EZ walk, shouldn't be a problem.;)

Archived