Living reef for snorkelers?

247kay

I know there have been numerous threads regarding snorkeling here but my question is about the reef itself. I do not want to snorkel over dead reef. I understand places like Eden Rock (which I have snorkeled before) and Cemetery Reef are pretty much dead :( although they do have lots of fish. I am more concerned with a colorful living reef :D. I was wondering where to snorkle to see the best reef. It doesn't have to be from the shore as we are willing to take an excursion to snorkel if it is worth our time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to know the answer to that question as well -- I am a strong swimmer, but my husband is not. He likes to snorkel, but he's not great at swimming out really far unless the water stays fairly shallow - and he REALLY doesn't like getting off of a boat into deep water. Off-the-shore snorkeling really does work best for him so I'd love to find a good spot for us to go on our own if we can...

Is the only way you can get here is via boat.

I am working on an excursion during a 1 day cruise stop and deciding on if I go to Rum Point beach will I be bored. I heard you can snorkel, but it looks far out.

I swim there all the time, but it is far and would not advise for poor swimmers to give it a go. You really need to be comfortable and capable in the water. Eden Rock in George Town is pretty good in its own right, minus any amazing coral. There are plenty of other places close to shore in shallow water with great coral, but again, you'll need a car: Alice in Wonderland, Queen's Monument, Barefoot Beach, etc...

I was just looking at Macabuca and wondering if that's worth a stop -- looks like you can have have lunch and snorkel right there too! sounds like it's pretty good!

Lunch: Worth it. Excellent fish & chips btw, get view/setting.

Snorkeling: OK. The water deeps quickly (e.g. +30 feet) and that of course is where all the stuff to see is.

Right - that's why I figured we'd hit Cemetery first - then Macabuca. How should get from one to the other?

The Bus. :confused:

Same route you take along Seven Mile Beach to get to the Cemetery Beach section continues to West Bay where MacaBuca is. Just cross the street when leaving Cemetery Beach and flag a bus down (there is a covered stop there as well). Tell the driver you want to go to the Cracked Conch/MacaBuca.

We are sailing in 17 days and finally made a decision about what to do. We really wanted to do the Barrier Reef. While my husband and I are both very strong swimmers I am a sissy when it comes to swimming in open ocean (ya know the whole shark week and jaws thing went to my head:rolleyes:) so the long swim out to the reef kinda had me freaked. We decided to go with Captain Marvin's who will take us to coral gardens, barrier reef, and stingray city which I don't care anything about. I live on the coast and have swam with plenty of stingrays. I just hate that we couldn't have at least an hour on each reef but it looks like we will only have 30 minutes on each.

Has anyone done the Nativeway tours that stop at Coral Gardens? Is that the same area shown in the picture above?

One of the Jet Ski tours does stop by an area near there which is very good, but none stop at that particular area of the reef.

Do not expect the "Barrier Reef" and "Coral Garden" stops on the various Sting Ray City tours to be quite like the picture above. The Coral Gardens by SRC is over-loved, but the Barrier Reef is still pretty good for what it is.

Archived