jeeps & gas prices

RenSea

We plan to rent two jeeps while in Cozumel next week. Wondering what the gas prices were and any suggestion on who to rent with or not rent with. Does our insurance cover for accidents in Mexico? Thanks

Gas is currently between $2.10 and $2.20 per gallon here in Cozumel. You will have to contact your insurance agent to see if your policy covers rental cars in Mexico. However, even if it does, if you have an accident, you will be expected to cover all costs before you will be allowed to board your ship. Then you can pursue reimbursement from your insurance agent. It is ALWAYS best to purchase insurance with your rental to avoid this.

Hope that helps!

Some scary stuff posted about renting jeeps or cars in Cozumel recently.

Even if we do take out the insurance will we be taken to jail to pay all cost? Im sure the ship will not wait for this!!!

Could someone please clear this up.

If some drunk local runs a stop sign and hits our rented jeep, we all go to what, jail to figure who pays what? What if the local has no insurance, but we do, are we liable???

We have rented jeeps in the past but this comes as a shock!

Big Question!!!! For you that post here most PB, Solita, Sally Ect... Whats going to happen if a local or a drunk cruise driver from XXX bumps into us and there is damage to the jeep? Are we going to miss the ship?

Basically, if there's an accident, the rental agency is called immediately. They will arrive promptly with your rental agreement to prove you have insurance. You pay your deductible to the rental agency and you are on your way. If you do NOT have insurance, yes, you are held at the police station until all debts are settled. The question of who is at fault is an unfortunate one. It is typical that he-who-has-insurance pays. Welcome to Mexico. If neither has insurance, the wealthier looking party is typically at fault. Hopefully the new administration here in Cozumel will change this perception, but don't expect miracles before your next cruise. As a good friend of mine says, "Mañana doesn't mean 'tomorrow', it means 'not today' ". When you live here, it's something you either adjust to, go nuts or go back where you came from.

I love living in Mexico and am here to stay.

We were in Cozumel on May 6th. A group of 7 of us took a taxi van to a beach and we were never so scared in our life.

Our taxi driver created a "3rd lane" right down the middle of the road, pushing other cars off to the side, while driving 140 km/hr. I can't imagine being a tourist, driving my own vehicle while sight seeing, and having this taxi driver coming at me! No wonder there are horror stories regarding accidents there!!!

There is no way I'd ever consider renting a scooter or vehicle in Cozumel knowing what we know now.

Archived