Early Booking Advice

namaste1223

We have a plan to cruise to Alaska next summer, but our plans are not very firm yet, what with work schedules, etc. still not known.

We will be booking 2 connecting cabins. We have one Future Cruise Credit. Since connecting cabins are limited, if we go ahead and book the two cabins now, final payment should be due sometime in May. By then we will know who can actually go. If for any reason we have to cancel one or both of our cabins, or possibly one person out of one of the cabins, will we have a problem receiving a full refund of either the down payment or the FCC for anyone that may need to cancel (if done before final payment is due)?

One other question:

Doesn't trip insurance have to be purchased within a certain time after booking? If we do so now, I guess we'll lose that money if we cancel by May...Can we purchase NCL trip insurance for the cruise that we book now, and different additional insurance at a later date after we know about airlines and any land trip we may add as we become more sure of our plans?

Thank you for any advice!

I would book the cruise now and wait to buy the insurance until you know you are going to be able to go. There is insurance you can buy just before final payment date. The place I go to is online called trip insurance store. I always buy the insurance just before I buy the airline tickets because once I buy the air tickets I'm committed to going. As long as you book direct through NCL and you cancel before final payment you will get your full deposit or your FCC will be put back into your latitudes account. If you went through a TA then you will have to read their policy to see if you would be charged any penalties for canceling.

I have bought the insurance and then realized my expenses could be higher than originally thought and called the insurance company and had them raise it.

Happy Cruising!:D

I would get insurance through someplace like insuremytrip.com.

You generally need to purchase and pay for the insurance in full within 14-21 days of your deposit if you want to get the pre-existing condition waiver (and coverage for things like financial default and terrorism). Many things that people don't even think about can be a preexisting condition situation. If you buy through the cruiseline, make sure you pay for your policy in full at the time you make your deposit or it really isn't purchased yet.

When my air and hotel plans are not yet finished, I base the policy I select on the cost of the cruise. When I add other items that are prepaid later, I call insuremytrip and add additional coverage to the policy I already have and just pay the difference. Easy to do. I just did this twice in the past month for other cruises I have booked more than a year out. Just make sure that you also add the additional coverage within 14-21 days of making the change to keep the preexisting waiver in effect -- whatever the period is based on the policy you purchased.

I would book the cruise now and wait to buy the insurance until you know you are going to be able to go. There is insurance you can buy just before final payment date. The place I go to is online called trip insurance store.

I have bought the insurance and then realized my expenses could be higher than originally thought and called the insurance company and had them raise it.

Happy Cruising!:D

I also use trip insurance store as I've found the owner, Steve a pleasure to deal with any stupid questions. He's a phone call away.

The problem I have with a cruise lines' insurance is that it doesn't cover airfare unless booked through them. You only have to book within a few days if you want a waiver of pre-existing conditions. I always book right away and actually the one I bought last week covers not being able to get away from work. I only found that out using their comparison tool.

Also, I figured out that the insurance company's pricing is bracketed to each $500 so the premium is the same if you place the price at, let's say, at $1,400 per person versus $1,100 per person so you can round up if you are unsure of some of the trip's cost. As mentioned, you can always adjust up later if need be.

Thank you all for your advice! I think we'll go ahead and book the 2 connecting cabins now and hope everything works out for next summer. As far as trip insurance, it sounds like we should buy insurance for the cost of the cruise now. If we have to cancel before final payment, I know we lose the amount we paid for the insurance, but it's worth it to have the protection in the event we continue with our plans after final paynent is due. We'll increase the amount of the insurance as we add flights and a land tour to our plans. Let the excitement begin...:D

Archived