Cave Tubing with Reggie

X-cited

Just got back last night from our cruise aboard the Elation. Had a great time and went cave tubing in Belize. We met Lionel just where they said they would be, then we had to wait for everyone to arrive. Reggies son was there as the guide for the other group. Once everyone arrived we headed out to the caves. On the drive there Loionel kept us entertained with information about Belize and what we could expect when tubing. On the way we stopped once so Lionel could put in our lunch orders at Amigos.

We got to the park and everyone got into their suits and got tubes, life jackets and headlamps and we started our hike to get in the water. Along the way Lionel showed us plants and animals and geve us facts about the area we were in. We hiked for about 45 minutes at a fairly relaxed pace until we got to the spot to get in the water. You were able to jump in from about 8-10 feet up or just step in, the choice was up to you. We formed up into 2 groups of eight (each with their own guide) and headed into the caves.

The water was comfortable and flowed at a slow pace. The caves were longer than we expected and Lionel showed our group the bat holes and all the other things to see. He kept things moving and was informative and fun, we all were laughing and really enjoying ourselves. We went through 2 caves and floated down the river for a ways before we got out at the spot where we first crossed the river. It rained the day we were there, but as Lionel said, you are already wet, so enjoy! After putting the tubes and such away we headed for lunch.

For 5 dollars we got a lunch of rice, salad and chicken. It was very good (but watch out fot the spicy salsa they put out, Lionel might not have thought it was hot, but we did!). After lunch we headed back to the tourist village and had about 1 1/2 hours before we had to be back on board the Elation.

We had a great time and I would recommend Reggie to everyone who wants to go cave tubing in Belize. A couple of things I noticed while waiting for some of our group to get off the Elation and get to the vans; I spoke with some of the other tour operators in the tourist village and everyone told me Reggie was reputable, honest and a good choice. They helped direct me to where the vans were waiting and were friendly and honest with me even though I hadn't booked with them. This was nice and reassuring.

I hope this review helps anyone hoping to go cave tubing in Belize. Reggie was the way to go for us and we would do it again if we get back there!

Archived