Joining the DVC on a Disney Cruise

roberts3232

Hi.

Going on a Disney cruise in Jan 2013. Looking to join the DVC. Does anyone know the perks for joining on the ship? I have heard from a member that I should wait until on the ship as the perks and pts are cheaper. Please advise. Thanks!

Yes you should join on the ship. In the past they have discounted the price and given free "Instant Fast Pass" cards which can be used at any WDW park. The also sometimes offer a VISA gift card for certain levels of membership.

Two months ago on the Fantasy you got 200 points for the price of 160.

What resorts are they selling now?

I dropped in at the Aulani last week and the standard offer was +10% or 176 points for 160 for Aulani.

You might as well wander down to the presentation and get a couple hats. Who knows, maybe they will have something better? As far as the resorts they are selling they are really pushing Aulani now but I believe they are still selling Animal Kingdom. Not sure if Bay Lake Tower is done but they may have still be selling it as well. We bought points in all 3 of those and love it.

I just got back from an Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder - July 2012.

I attended a DVC presentation and did not join. However they were giving lots of perks. Stateroom credits, cheaper points..etc.

If I was going to join I would DEFINITELY do it on a cruise!

I just got off the Disney Wonder a few days ago. I didn't attend the presentation this time but I did last year on the same ship. They were pushing special bonus points and stuff like that but I don't know how it compares to the regular deals.

It was hard for me to gauge whether it was a good deal or not because the salesmen were so "salesmen-like"...of course they did say stuff like:

"People call me all the time after the cruise asking me for the same deal and I tell them 'I wish I could but no, you had to buy it on the ship'"

They did not give away any free gear but you were entered into a drawing for $300 stateroom credit.

Needless to say, I didn't join. I am pretty good at math and I have an MBA so I saw a lot of holes in the salesman's logic, understand how to calculate the time value of money, etc. I'm not sure what's truth and what isn't but overall, it just didn't make a compelling case for me.

RVD.

Archived