Is it true about Voyager of the Seas

I found this on the Cruisemans newsletter. Was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this. Also do we know what RCI ship will make Bayonne NJ its home for summer 2006. The Voyager of the Seas will trade Bayonne, N.J., for Barcelona, Spain, next summer, making it the first of Royal Caribbean International’s Voyager-class ships to cruise to Europe. The Voyager will operate seven-day cruises from Barcelona in 2006.

Here the link. http://www.cruiseman.com/may16.htm

Yes it is great news that we over the pond will be getting the Voyager...it was about time that people in Europe etc could get the great chance of being able to go on a voyager class ship...without having to take such long flights.I believe that the Explorer will take the place of the Voyager.

We wont be giving up on our trips over the pond though...will just have to try to save more money and cruise twice in a year.:D

Liz

Well did a google search and found this artical in Travel Weekly. Looks like Explorer of the Seas will make Bayonne its home in summer 2006.

MIAMI -- The Voyager of the Seas will trade Bayonne, N.J., for Barcelona, Spain, next summer, making it the first of Royal Caribbean International’s Voyager-class ships to cruise to Europe.

The Voyager will operate seven-day cruises from Barcelona in 2006.

A sister ship, the Explorer of the Seas, will reposition to Bayonne next summer to take over the Voyager’s summer season to Bermuda and the Caribbean.

The line also is making a few changes to its Alaska lineup: The Vision of the Seas will depart from Seattle instead of Vancouver, B.C., on its Alaska sailings, and the Radiance of the Seas will offer open-jaw cruises between Seattle and Seward, Alaska.

The Empress of the Seas will launch Bermuda voyages from Philadelphia

The cruise port in Bayonne is being designed to hold two Voyager-class ships. So I assume that their plan in the future is to have a second ship there as well.

If I remember right RCI had the Voyager and the Empress of the seas sail out of Bayonne in 2004. That would be really nice to have to Voyage class ships in Bayonne.

After Sundays debarkation disaster, I wonder ?.

I have emailed RCI about what happened on Sunday, if only to put it on the record. Maybe it was 'first cruise of the year' teething troubles, but it left a bad taste after the excellent cruise.

Philip

They really need to improve the facilities in Bayonne before they even consider having a second Voyager class ship. Our debarkation process from the Voyager on Sunday was horrible, a nightmare actually. I will do all that I can before I leave from or arrive in Bayonne (Port Liberty) unless I see that the port has made huge improvements.

I'm getting nervous about leaving Port Liberty on Friday. I always bring a book so I'd be fine but DH is a fidgeting, nervous wreck. Maybe I'll put a benedryl in his water (only kidding!) We are taking the bus from WIlmington, DE to Cape Liberty. We leave at 10, I wouldn't mind if we didn't get there until late. I'd rather miss lunch than stand in line for hours!

I also had problems with disembarkation on Sunday. We live in Lower Manhattan and stood in line for over an hour and a half for a taxi. When we first got in line, we were third. One taxi every half hour is unacceptable. We were Yellow and got off the ship before 10 am, but didn’t get home until after 1pm. There were NO taxis. The ones that did come only wanted to go to Newark or (maybe) JFK. None of them wanted to go to the city and one even refused to go to LGA. I saw some taxis turned away because they were not the “contracted” cab company. I saw the lady (dressed in all black) who was managing things take two bribes from other passengers to get a cab faster. They, of course, passed the rest of us and were put in a cab right away. One of those passengers was Sal Richards, the comedian who was on board. After waiting over an hour and seeing this, I was furious, so I called the Yellow Cab company. I informed the dispatcher of this and it turns out he was the owner. He accused me of lying about the bribes, until I said I knew who one of the bribes came from. He told me to call back with the employee’s name. At this point, I just wanted to go home, so I went up to the lady and said, “I saw you take 2 bribes from passengers and I’ve already spoken to your boss. Either put us in a cab in the next 5 minutes or I’m calling him back and giving him your name”. Needless to say, I was put in the next cab that came within 5 minutes.

Our driver told us how none of the drivers wanted to go to the city. Basically, they all fight for the Newark rides. If you are going to LGA, GET A CAR SERVICE BEFOREHAND. In fact, I suggest that for anyone coming back through Cape Liberty. The cab ride was so overpriced, it was ridiculous. They charged us $60 plus tolls and tip. It took 12 minutes. Talk about price gauging. I’m tempted to report the company to the State, but I’m unfamiliar with New Jersey laws regarding price gauging. It costs us about $20 plus tolls and tips to take a cab to Newark.

I don't think there will be any undue delays in embarkation, as RCI will not want any bad vibes to spread amongst passengers yet to sail.Only way there'll be a delay getting on is if theres delays getting off, as in Miami on the outward part of the Voyager repositioner.

9 days down the road, it might be a different matter when you return. What I thought was funny on Sunday was moving the line to get away around the corner to make way for the embarkation line. They were just doing this when we finally nailed a taxi and made it to JFK for $80 plus tolls plus tip.

Philip

They really need to improve the facilities in Bayonne before they even consider having a second Voyager class ship. Our debarkation process from the Voyager on Sunday was horrible, a nightmare actually. I will do all that I can before I leave from or arrive in Bayonne (Port Liberty) unless I see that the port has made huge improvements.

They are redesigning the terminal. Once complete, I'm sure it will be state of the art and better than what is there now. There is a lot of planning and design going on and they are planning on having it support 2 Voyager class ships.

There is great anticipation here in Europe over the Voyager coming over.

I have no doubt the gap in the schedule is partly for the transatlantic crossing and maybe a little time for repairs/refurbishment ?

Philip

I was so turned off by how terrible debarkation was on Sunday that it's make me seriously consider whether or not I'd take another cruise that came/left from Port Liberty. Last year we could excuse it -- it was all new. But come on. They've had a year to try to streamline things, and there was no excuse for what was going on on Sunday.

Wow!

Am surprised to hear this. Went out of this port last September and will again this September. After experiencing the hassle of going out of NYC in the past, Port Liberty was a pleasure. We were dropped off and picked up by family so we did not have to worry about a taxi. Thinking about parking there this September.

However, I do remember seeing on this site, a lot of complaints about this port on the first couple of cruises there last year.

Seadays4me, I to am suprised to here about the diembarkment problem. We had no problem last year in October. In fact we found in much easier then leaving form Manhattan. I can understand the problem with the taxis, you will have the same problem in NYC with them as well. We even found Capy Liberty to be much nicer then the Pier in Manhattan.

The cruise port in Bayonne is being designed to hold two Voyager-class ships. So I assume that their plan in the future is to have a second ship there as well.
If I remember right RCI had the Voyager and the Empress of the seas sail out of Bayonne in 2004. That would be really nice to have to Voyage class ships in Bayonne.

I am already pretty upset that New York and Europe are going to get or have gotten a Voyager class ship before us on the West coast. Now there is talk about giving New York another one. This is freakan ridicules.

Erik can't fit those babies through the Panama Canel and probably too dangerous to sail around the Horn. Ship would have to be built in Dollar Store in China[ha ha]
I dont see how it would be too dangerous. Celebrity sails the Infinity down there.

Archived