Noisy E218 Cruise 10th August 2012 on Oceana

tremearne

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else felt the same as us. We have just returned from a p & O cruise E218 on the Oceana and were very disappointed to find that during the evenings younger teenage children were allowed to roam the decks freely causing a nuisance by shouting and screaming unnecessarily. They were also playing continuously in the lifts. The noise from the reef club above our cabin was terrible until 11pm every night and even when complaining, it didn't get any better. Nobody seemed to be enforcing any rules around the ship during the evenings. The same went for the adult only Terrace pool. Families with children were using the pool, when it clearly stated for over 16's only. Surely with 4 pools on board, one can be kept for adults, who want a peaceful swim. I understand that children will be on board and most of them behaved impeccably and were a credit to their parents, it was a small minority who were left to roam. We were given the impression that P & O had very high standards on board, but we feel that they rather slipped on this cruise. Another thing we felt should have been addressed is the dress code. We were under the impression that strict dress code would be adhered to in certain areas. On black tie nights, there were several people not wearing the correct attire. Many had lighter suits or no jacket at all. This spoils it for the majority of passengers who make an incredible effort.

It is such a shame that a minority of parents allow their children to run around usually because they would rather not be disturbed while they are having a drink. I cruised on Ventura during the easter holidays last year and have to say that most children were very well behaved. I do think P and O should be supervising this a bit more during school holidays as every one deserves a relaxing holiday not just the parents of the unruly children.

Another thing we felt should have been addressed is the dress code. We were under the impression that strict dress code would be adhered to in certain areas. On black tie nights, there were several people not wearing the correct attire. Many had lighter suits or no jacket at all. This spoils it for the majority of passengers who make an incredible effort.

We were on Oceana from the 22nd July & found very little enforcement of the dress code. We even asked at Reception one evening, having seen tee shirts, cut off jeans, football shirts & bra style tops being worn in the MDR. Reception assured us that the dress code was only relaxed for under 16's however this was most definately not the case. We also had one small group of teens who roamed the ship most evenings, messing around on stairwells & in the lifts. The same group also did the same around the whirlpool tubs during the day - not a parent in sight. Such a shame when the majority were so very well dressed & behaved.

Thank you for your replies. I am glad we are not alone in our thoughts about this. We felt that the children's behaviour was unacceptable and wouldn't of let our own behave like this when they were younger.

Thank you for your comments on the dress code. We felt that part of a holiday like this was to dress up on formal evenings and if everyone adhered to the code, it makes the evenings special.

Having been on the azura in June, our oldest daughters kids club, the 11+ one were giving the kids the option of signing them selfs in and out at anytime thus giving them the freedom of the ship, I think the finger should be pointed in that direction if any, maybe more of a grown up kids club or kids "bar" maybe the answer.

Thank you Redstar. I think you're right. To let the kids sign in and sign out freely would probably cause this problem. Also parents who sign their kids in need to know that they are safe in the club and not allowed to roam freely. I would also say that most kids on their own are fine, it's the peer pressure to do as the group. We noticed throughout our cruise, the problem got worse as the confidence grew and the groups expanded.

I have to say our daughter did sign her self out quite a lot to roam the ship with 2 or 3 other girls, although we felt they wasn't causing destress to other passengers it didn't sit well with us, although the reef rangers staff were good obviously the club itself just isn't interesting enough for the kids, an area that needs looking at maybe.

I have to say our daughter did sign her self out quite a lot to roam the ship with 2 or 3 other girls, although we felt they wasn't causing destress to other passengers it didn't sit well with us, although the reef rangers staff were good obviously the club itself just isn't interesting enough for the kids, an area that needs looking at maybe.

I think you are probably right :)

P & o should do what RCI do, security patrol the ship at night and all under 18s are curfewed at 12mn. Any under 18s found roaming the ship after mn are taken to the cabins. The parents are warned 2 strikes and your off.

Yes, definitely. We thought a good idea would be for all under 18's to have a wrist band with their cabin ID on. This way, if they are caught causing a nuisance, the parents can be told immediately and asked to supervise them. Whilst my brother was on a P & O cruise a few years ago, some children with their parents were climbing on top of the rails and could have easily fall overboard. I'm not sure of the exact details, but they were asked to leave the ship at the next port. It's quite unbelievable that anyone could allow their children to put themselves at such risk.

We were on this cruise as well. We had a teenage girl in a cabin by herself near us who invited up to 10 other teenagers back to her cabin late at night. I complained to the youth security but they were next to useless. Where the parents were I do not know clearly didn't care what she was up to. The behaviour of a small minority of teenagers generally was appalling - the parents just did not care - no respect!

Hi

Not been on here for ages due to having different holidays but as I have just booked Oceana for next summer I am back on here and loving it again!

We have been on a few cruises and our kids have attended the kids clubs. Some of the games that are organised means that they run around the ship having fun.

Scavenger hunt - they are asked to go and collect items whereby they have to ask passengers to borrow them for their team.

Autographs - go and collect signatures from passengers who can speak fluent German, have false teeth, can tango, have been parachuting etc etc.

I loved trying to help kids fill in their sheets if they ever approached me.

Dares - my son and his team were dared to sit in a lift and sing Abba songs for 15 minutes - they got extra points if other passengers joined in and they did!! They loved it when complete strangers joined in the fun.

This was all on Ventura and as this is advertised as a family ship and we always travel in school holidays - we are both teachers then I expect to see lots of kids and teenagers having a fantastic time. I also love seeing the little ones parade around singing.

Our next cruise is on Oceana and we will take our 13 year old daughter. Our son is a very grown up (!) 17 now and has a contract with the Leicester Tigers and cannot be released to join us but is quite disappointed he will miss the fun. Although as he will not confess what happened on his first rugby camp I am sure it was far worse than singing Abba songs!

So those of you who think it is the parents fault - no not always - the kids clubs are actually getting the kids to play these games and the majority of kids and teens are loving them.

We were on this cruise as well. We had a teenage girl in a cabin by herself near us who invited up to 10 other teenagers back to her cabin late at night. I complained to the youth security but they were next to useless. Where the parents were I do not know clearly didn't care what she was up to. The behaviour of a small minority of teenagers generally was appalling - the parents just did not care - no respect!

Hi, I'm glad it wasn't just us that thought this way. As you say, where were the parents and there's definitely no respect. We complained twice and absolutely nothing was done about it. On the last night, the noise went on until after midnight.

Hi

Not been on here for ages due to having different holidays but as I have just booked Oceana for next summer I am back on here and loving it again!

We have been on a few cruises and our kids have attended the kids clubs. Some of the games that are organised means that they run around the ship having fun.

Scavenger hunt - they are asked to go and collect items whereby they have to ask passengers to borrow them for their team.

Autographs - go and collect signatures from passengers who can speak fluent German, have false teeth, can tango, have been parachuting etc etc.

I loved trying to help kids fill in their sheets if they ever approached me.

Dares - my son and his team were dared to sit in a lift and sing Abba songs for 15 minutes - they got extra points if other passengers joined in and they did!! They loved it when complete strangers joined in the fun.

This was all on Ventura and as this is advertised as a family ship and we always travel in school holidays - we are both teachers then I expect to see lots of kids and teenagers having a fantastic time. I also love seeing the little ones parade around singing.

Our next cruise is on Oceana and we will take our 13 year old daughter. Our son is a very grown up (!) 17 now and has a contract with the Leicester Tigers and cannot be released to join us but is quite disappointed he will miss the fun. Although as he will not confess what happened on his first rugby camp I am sure it was far worse than singing Abba songs!

So those of you who think it is the parents fault - no not always - the kids clubs are actually getting the kids to play these games and the majority of kids and teens are loving them.

It's not the innocent games being organised and played by the kids clubs. It's the teenagers left to roam wild and cause a nuisance while their parents are elsewhere. Throwing food down the stairs and knocking on cabin doors and screaming late at night is most definitely not on the kids club agenda. I too enjoy having children around, but they need to be controlled and supervised for their own safety before one of them falls over the rails.

Sorry Tracy67 but having up to 10 teenagers in a cabin making a noise after midnight is NOT one of the kids clubs activities! You might think different if it was a cabin next to you!! I was on the cruise with my two teenage daughters and I like to think they know how to behave.

Sorry Tracy67 but having up to 10 teenagers in a cabin making a noise after midnight is NOT one of the kids clubs activities! You might think different if it was a cabin next to you!! I was on the cruise with my two teenage daughters and I like to think they know how to behave.

I really do agree with you. After paying good money for a cruise with p and o, this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and not expected from a company like this. I too have two children who are just out of their teen years and this was our first holiday without them. They would never have behaved in this manner and I like to think they know how to behave in any situation.

Archived