GRATUITY & SERVICE

My question is in reference to the gratuity for service that is automatically added for each guest. Can the amount be changed on RCCL? If the service is good, I have no problem paying the full "rate" which, according to RCCL website, is about $124 per person for an 8 day cruise. Yet, for example, on our last cruise with another cruiseline, the service was dissapointing in several areas and it was at OUR discretion to, for example, remove the total for one person.

Tips are not automatically added you your account on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. At some point in the cruise, you can go to customer service and have the tips charged but it is at your option. I prefer the traditional way of giving tips the last night with a sincere thanks.

RCCI has added on option of paying for your tips when you book. This is only an option and isn't standard but if you choose it, it is for the standard amount. You can add the charges to your seapass card when you get on the ship but it is also only for the standard amount. If you think there is a possibility of needing to vary the amount paid, then do it the traditional way by putting cash in the envelopes provided on the last night.

I'm confused. On RCCL.com they give a break-down of gratuities that "apply to all guests" (The break-down totally $124 per guest for a 8 day cruise) and state that all "other gratuities are at your discretion."

Guest OBAYbee

I think they mean if you care to add a tip say to a bartender or cocktail waiters. It is already included on the tab and they are just encouraging you to tip more if you felt the service rendered called for it.

They give the breakdown so people will know how much to plan for when planning for gratuities. The amount recommended is the minimum you should pay for average service (think of it like the recommended 15% tipping guidelines when going out to a restaurant). Otherwise, some people would not know that gratutities weren't included in their cruise fare (and wouldn't pay them) and are expected unless the service doesn't meet expectations. To prepay your gratuities, it is an opt-in system on RCCI and you can only opt-in for the standard amount.

... according to RCCL website, is about $124 per person for an 8 day cruise.

I think there might be a miscalculation. I don't see how you come up with $124 for one person on an 8 day cruise.

Try the calculator below to get the totals (and the bills if you decide to tip with cash).

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Theron

I think there might be a miscalculation. I don't see how you come up with $124 for one person on an 8 day cruise.

Ah! I figured it out! Yes, your calculations are too high!

Royal Caribbean has one recommended tip for Stateroom Attendants, and a higher one for Suite Attendants! You were counting both. You would only pay one or the other, depending on whether you were in a suite or a regular stateroom.

:) Saved a few bucks at least!

Theron

I do hope that I did not sound cheap! I am more than willing to tip well yet we like to do it the "old fashion" way with a sincere thank you and a handshake rather than simply added on the "bill."

Copied & pasted from RCCL.com...

What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guestStateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guestDining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guestAssistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guestHeadwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guestNote: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise

Ahhhh! Yes! TPKeller, you are right-my calculations were wrong! heehee Please, read my response above-I am not cheap-just like things the old fashion way! Thanks for your input, everyone!

I do hope that I did not sound cheap! I am more than willing to tip well yet we like to do it the "old fashion" way with a sincere thank you and a handshake rather than simply added on the "bill."

You didn't sound cheap, just concerned that you do it the right way, which nobody can find fault with. The standard is the old fashioned way, hence the gratuity guidlines so that you can figure them out ahead of time to have the cash on hand. The tip calculator TPKeller provided a link for works great for that. Again, you have to opt-in to prepay them or put them onto your seapass card.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks everyone! Judging from the message boards, RCCL is most definitely a friendlier crew! (no pun intended!) Tune into tomorrow for my stateroom questions...heehee Thanks again!

Ahhhh! Yes! TPKeller, you are right-my calculations were wrong! heehee Please, read my response above-I am not cheap-just like things the old fashion way! Thanks for your input, everyone!

Glad to help... and if you do plan to use cash, you'll find that my calculator makes preparing the envelopes with the proper bills very easy! :D

Theron

I prepaid my tips, but then I tipped cash to the bar waiters, bartenders, and gave my dining room waiter, asst. waiter, and steward an extra $20.00, and gave the head waiter $10.00. He really didn't do that much for us. If you do the math for a 7 night cruise for the wait staff, they really don't make that much per person. All of them were great too.

Archived