Day of the Dead in Costa Maya

eyesofbrown

Mandygal,

Here is some info I found about holidays in the area:

November 1-2 Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)

This holiday is a perfect example of the complex heritage of the Mexican people. The beliefs of today's Mexicans are based on the blend of cultures of their ancestors: the “ofrendas” practices to the dead and the gods by the Aztec and Maya which are layered with Catholicism. November 1 is set aside for remembrance of all Saints, the deceased infants and children, often referred to as angelitos (little angels). Those who have died as adults are honored on November 2. Their relatives gather at cemeteries throughout Mexico, bringing skeletons and other macabre toys, colorful tissue paper, elaborate wreaths and crosses decorated with paper or silk flowers; candles and votive lights; and fresh seasonal flowers. These rituals are continued at home with the building of altars to the dead and are focused at inviting the spirits of the dead to return home for sharing laughter, tears and memories.

Culinary NOTE: Throughout the markets in Chetumal, you will find skulls and coffins made from sugar, chocolate or amaranth seeds and “pan de muerto”, the main “ofrenda de muertos” (offering to the dead). We serve this bread at Mayan Beach Garden, fresh baked in our kitchen and served with hot chocolate. It is also a day to eat all the good foods that the ancestors enjoyed. At Mayan Beach Garden, that means serving Chili Mole - a completely black and white food. I asked my cook what you would eat if your relative didn't like chili mole and he assured me it was everyone's favorite. While Chili Mole is occasionally eaten at other times of the year, like turkey at Thanksgiving, it is primarily served on Nov. 2nd.

By the way, have you joined the roll call we have going? People seem nice and we are doing an informal Meet and Greet.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how much of a celebration will be evident there. The immediate port area was built for cruise ships as an artificial Mexican coastal village, so at best you might see some Day of the Dead "shows" there, but nothing really authentic.

Down the road a little way in the fishing village of Mahahual you might see some actual Day of the Dead celebrations, but I don't think it will be anything like you'd see in a densely populated area of Mexico.

I'm going to try and explore what's left of the Chac-Chi resort and later head into Mahahual and see what is going on since it was rebuilt after hurricane Dean. I don't really care for the immediate port area because of the artificial Disney Land feel it has, but that's just my personal preference, some people love it.

Costa Maya is one of my favorite ports so it's a shame we have to leave so early. It also looks like the Dream will be the only ship in port that day (just like all of our other ports).

Maybe I'll see you at the meet and greet.

I'm going to try and explore what's left of the Chac-Chi resort and later head into Mahahual and see what is going on since it was rebuilt after hurricane Dean. I don't really care for the immediate port area because of the artificial Disney Land feel it has, but that's just my personal preference, some people love it.

Thanks for the input. I love your description of the port as Disneyland. My DH calls it Disneyesque.

This will be our first time to Costa Maya and first time in Mexico for Day of the Dead, so thank you for your input. I look forward to seeing you at the Meet and Greet.

Archived