NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

Do it ahead of time. Each ship has a different land person who coordinates it with the ship. Post what ship here and someone will have the contact person's email address. I've done it twice and it works great and is lots of fun.

Thanks. It's early yet, but the ship is the Jewel. We will be on board 9/15/06 for 10 wonderful days!

One little secret in the Jewel is that they do have washers & dryers on several decks! We had looked on the web and they didn't indicate that they had them. Next time we will put them to good use and pack much less!

I went to wellwishers.com and couldn't find any information about alcohol other than wine. Is there a specific website where they have that?

Thanks!

Kelly

Just call them and tell them what you are looking for and they will get back to you with the prices.

You can order sandwiches from room service and just bag it up and take it on any of your stops. If you have a 10 hour period to explore, having a few extra vittles will allow you to see more sites rather than worrying about either coming back to the ship to eat, or try a restaurant on land. I personally like to try the different foods at our stops, but in can help a ton having an extra bite or two available if necessary.

I am new to cruising but this sounds like an excellent idea to save some money in port that could better be used for exploring.... I'm just not sure I understand how that works. Do you request it with your breakfast or something so it's ready to go with you in the morning, or do you request it as a late night thing and just keep it in the fridge? We were talking about seeing what sort of snacks we could get away with taking form the breakfast buffet - but this sounds better than odds and ends :)

Thanks!:D

If you want breakfast immediately (and do not mind the coffee in your cabin pot), then get it ready yourself the day before...use your refrigerator.

Coka

This was the post I didn't understand about coffee/breakfast.....

Great tips on here, Coka!

You can get shrimp cocktail any night, not just the first.

Peter

Based on my experience with the NCL Crown this past August, I'd have to disagree. We asked and were told that it was not available tonight.

That's very true for Princess though.

Everytime we cruise, we pack a bathing suit into a bookbag or whatever we take on board the ship which we do not give in with the rest of our luggage. This way, if you board around noon and don't get luggage until after 4 pm, you can still put on your bathing suit and go swimming in uncrowded pools.

I am new to cruising but this sounds like an excellent idea to save some money in port that could better be used for exploring.... I'm just not sure I understand how that works. Do you request it with your breakfast or something so it's ready to go with you in the morning, or do you request it as a late night thing and just keep it in the fridge? We were talking about seeing what sort of snacks we could get away with taking form the breakfast buffet - but this sounds better than odds and ends :)

Thanks!:D

Hi Ndamro,

It helps mostly if you have a late morning dock time. We did this in Cabo San Lucas since we had a 11 o'clock docking. At that time we ordered a couple of sandwiches and put them in a zip lock bag. We brought a few of those for our camera just in case. Happy Traveling!

Chad

I will definately have to order the sandwiches to take out with us. I'll have to remember to pack some sandwich bags or saran wrap.

Does anyone know if a bowl of fruit can be ordered for the stateroom? I love to snack on fresh fruit and I know Princess does this. How about NCL?

I will definately have to order the sandwiches to take out with us. I'll have to remember to pack some sandwich bags or saran wrap.

Does anyone know if a bowl of fruit can be ordered for the stateroom? I love to snack on fresh fruit and I know Princess does this. How about NCL?

If not you can gather one from the Buffet:)

From http://www.ncl.com/more/bon_voyage_list.htm#party

Bon Voyage & Special Occasion Gifts

Goodies and Gourmets

The Captains Choice:

* Pricing is subject to change without notice

Brimming basket of assorted seasonal fruits and a hearty bottle of wine (specify Red or White)

Item #308 - $30.00

Item #309 - $30.00 (w/ non-alcoholic wine)

The Bon Voyage Basket:

An assortment of seasonal fruits and a bottle of wine (specify Red or White)

Item #310 - $20.00

Item #311 - $20.00(w/ non-alcoholic wine)

Shrimper’s Delight:

Two dozen crisp jumbo shrimp served on Ice with lemon and cocktail sauce

Item #304 - $33.35

Norwegian Sampler:

Served with ham, anchovy, caviar, celery & cheese.

Item #300 (Large) $34.50

The Cheese Block:

Selection of cheese, Camembert, Edam, Gouda, Swiss, Muenster, Blue Cheese, & Cheddar, With crackers and grapes.

Item #305 - $36.80

Flowers:

Flowers service is available only on cruises departing from Miami, San Juan, Boston, New York, Seattle, Vancouver, and Honolulu.

HARMONY

Item #800 - $20 - $35

TROPICAL DELIGHT

Item #801 - $35 - $45

SPRINGTIME

Item #802 - $20 - $35

CLASSIC DOZEN ROSES

Item #803 - $50 - $65

Hawaii Flowers:

These flowers and prices are only available on the Hawaii Sailings out of Honolulu.

HARMONY

Item # 810 - $35.00

TROPICAL DELIGHT

Item # 811 - $42.00

SPRINGTIME

Item # 812 - $30.00

CLASSIC DOZEN ROSES

Item # 813 - $60.00

Leave the Decorating to us Party Package!

Someone celebrating a special occasion? We will decorate their stateroom with streamers, confetti, balloons and a scrumptious party cake. Just specify type of occasion.

$30.00

Item # 550 Anniversary

Item # 551 Birthday

Item # 552 Bon Voyage

Item # 553 Congratulations

Romance Packages at Sea

HONEYMOON / ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE

* Prices are subject to change. A 15% gratuity will be added for all massages and wraps

Item #504 - $79.00 per stateroom

Sparkling Wine and strawberries in your stateroom upon embarkation

Canapés delivered to your stateroom one evening

Honeymooners' Champagne and Cake party

Honeymoon photograph

Romantic dinner for two in the Bistro with a complimentary bottle of wine

DELUXE HONEYMOON PACKAGE

* Prices are subject to change. A 15% gratuity will be added for all massages and wraps

Item #505 - $229.00 per stateroom

Canapés delivered to your stateroom one evening

Honeymooners' Champagne and Cake party

Honeymoon photograph

Breakfast in bed on one day of your choice

Two 25- minute Mandara Spa half body Seven Seas Massages

ROMANCE PACKAGE

Item #506 - $249.00 per stateroom

A traditional Mandara pedicure and manicure for one

Tea service in stateroom on the afternoon of your choice

DELUXE ROMANCE PACKAGE

Item #507 - $329.00 per stateroom

Choice of Mandara Spa Exotic Frangipani Body Nourishing Wrap or Exotic Coconut and Milk Ritual Wrap for one.

Tea service in stateroom on the afternoon of your choice

Breakfast in bed on one day of your choice

A beautiful keepsake formal portrait

I hope this helps!

Who do we talk to about reserving the same table and time for dinner? Can we do that before we cruise, or do we ask once we're onboard?

Once on the ship stop by the main restaurant of your choice and speak with the manager, they should be able to offer you a standing reservation for the same time/table for the week.

:)

Thank you....guess I'll be hauling my own Pepsi. Good thing they make the tall plastic bottles.

Someone mentioned something on here about coffee in the staterooms....they don't have coffee makers or pots, do they?

No, no coffee makers in the cabins. Perhaps considered a fire hazard. They can be ordered via room service.

Hi,

I heard somewhere that there is a 2for1 special on the cover charges on the PoAm the very first night. Can anyone verify that?

I used to work on NCL (stopped last year) and the '2 for 1' cover charge at specialty restaurants is fleetwide actually.

Hint #1:

Don't let NCL 'scare' you to purchase your shore excursion with them as "if you do not buy your shore excursion through the cruise line, the ship can leave without you". If you're going on that one-off jeep tour through the huge banana plantation in St. Lucia, then by all means, purchase the shore excursion with NCL for a better piece of mind.

But if it's a city bus tour or if you're staying within the city to sightsee its landmarks, etc.., then go ahead and purchase the tours on land. They're very efficient, usually are a part of a fleet, so knock on wood, if they can't send a replacement bus right away, you can just take a taxi back cos you're right in the city anyway! One of the gazillion taxi drivers would be more than eager to bring you back--remember this is IF the tour fleet cannot provide with a replacement bus. I have never experienced that out of the dozens of tours I've purchased off the ship, they were always professional with no car/van troubles and always brought us back on time (also crew members had to be back 1/2 hr before pax all aboard anyway!).

Hint #2:

Females, for gala nights, the most useful thing to bring is a shawl. You know those solid color rectangular shawls with a bit of a fringe on both edges? Those are excellent for spicing up an all-black outfit on gala night, cover up your shoulders in air conditioned lounges/restaurants or those breezy walks on the deck. Don't forget that it also serves as a nice little blanket on the plane ride to/from!

Hint #3:

Bring at least 1 pair of comfortable walking shoes, no matter HOW they look. I've seen too many women return in pain with opened blisters on their feet cos they walked all day in the hot sun in their plastic $9.99 Payless sandals with heels. Some cut their day short, but all couldn't enjoy taking in the sights as well than if they didn't have their mind on their throbbing feet.

Hint #4:

Bring your own sun tanning lotion ($10 US on ships) and underwater camera ($9.99 CAD WalMart compared to $25 US on ship).

That's all I can think of now. Whilst I was working on the ships, I had 1,000s of ideas for pax, but as they come to me, I'll post more.

^^ Wow. Like I mentioned, I quit ships January last year so Star came out AFTER I left. I wonder if they'll be installed in the newer ships (e.g. Jewel), just like the washing machines, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the older ones.

Oh ya: Be careful on bringing food ashore, as most countries ban certain fruits being brought on their grounds for agricultural safety reasons. If caught, some countries impose a $50 USD fine PER fruit. (can you imagine grapes!? yikes!)

It's really tricky as you have to respect each country's regulations, as varied as each of them can be. I suggest just buying snacks found ashore (they can be aplenty), plus you'll get to savor THAT country's local cuisine. If you're really stuck, just bring sealed edibles, such as granola bars, chocolate bars, et... Those are safe.

^^ Wow. Like I mentioned, I quit ships January last year so Star came out AFTER I left.

{snip}...

Huh? From NCL's website regarding the Star:

SHIP FACTS

Entered service: November 2001

Maiden Voyage: November 19, 2001

Length: 965 feet

Breadth: 105 feet

Draft: 28 feet

Speed: 25 Knots

Gross tonnage: 91,000-grt

Propulsion: 2 Diesel electric – Azipod system

Guest Decks: 15

Cabins: 1,120

Passenger Capacity: 2,240 double occupancy

Crew capacity: 1,100

Elevators: 12

Flag: Bahamas

Perhaps you were just unfamiliar with this particular vessel. Many of NCL's newer ships have coffeepots in various cabin categories, as well as laundry rooms with irons and ironing boards for passenger use.

Great advice with regard to taking fruits and other foods ashore! Thanks for sharing that.

Archived