C. Victory Sept. 16 '12 Review with pics

Karpkg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Sometimes the beauty of the place just overwhelms you...and you gotta do something!

My tree hugging hubby.

IMG_1825.jpg

I'm heading here. This is the tiny Carabelle Batik store.

IMG_6067.jpg

Toto! We're not in Kansas anymore!

IMG_6085.jpg

Lady demonstrating the process of dyeing the fabrics.

IMG_6090.jpg

Were the prices of items pretty reasonable at Caribelle Batik? I'm thinking of holding onto my spending money and make a handbag or some sort of accessory purchase here for myself ... or maybe they are cheaper on other islands?

So many colors! This is actually 3 rooms. The first room was the demonstration room. This is the main store. Last room is the register. It can get long if you're trying to buy something as most tours leave after only 40 minutes staying here.

IMG_6093.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

I know, I know, give me another minute honey! I don't care if the taxi driver is waiting on me!

IMG_6094.jpg

What I bought: This was $10 each. 13 x 13. I'll frame them. A true Batik is one that is reversible, colors true front and back. I don't remember the prices of the clothing, but remember thinking wow, department store pricing. But I didn't see any at the cruise terminal stores, so it must be exclusive or select places to buy them.

IMG_7053.jpg

Most recent batch drying outside.

IMG_6096.jpg

A few hurried shots and we're back in the van and on our way.

18th Century Bell Tower, used to call the workers. Original bell still inside.

IMG_6097.jpg

Were the prices of items pretty reasonable at Caribelle Batik? I'm thinking of holding onto my spending money and make a handbag or some sort of accessory purchase here for myself ... or maybe they are cheaper on other islands?

I think reasonable, but not cheap considering the fabric is plain white cotton dyed. But if you're on a cruise it's hard to go elsewhere to find it. When I googled it there is a store in St. Lucia but you'll need to take a taxi and go out of your way for it.

I had to buy with the thought that if I can't find it elsewhere, can I live without it? My husband "And make that decision quick because they're waiting for us!" :D

We pass by the Middle Island Anglican Church. The white roof building contains the raised tomb of Sir Thomas Warner and Samuel Jefferson II.

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

We get to the entrance of Brimstone Fort. Half of the group doesn't want to go on the tour, and the other half does. Robert can't proceed with those that don't want to go...so my group and 2 couples get off and we wait at the entrance.

Hindsight, I should have gone by myself since those that didn't want to would have to wait anyways...but I stayed behind as well. It would have been $8/pp and $4/child and it was soooo hot!

The surrounding area is still the fort so I take pictures.

The entrance/exit.

IMG_6109.jpg

Fort from where we were.

IMG_6107.jpg

But we're still within the fort surrounding areas.

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

We waited for maybe 20-40 minutes. Then the van came back, we loaded up and now, we're headed to South Friars Beach. Finally! Can't wait till we get into the water.

IMG_6163.jpg

Shipwreck Bar and Grill.

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

Is it impressive? Not compared to the other islands we've been on. But it's a beach with snorkeling. The currents churn up the water and it's really rocky. You have to stay to the left of the beach because the right side is snorkeling with rough rocks and plenty of spiny sea urchins.

IMG_6182.jpg

We're starving, it's lunchtime. Found their website. Here's current pricing also on their website.

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

Billy has the beef soft tacos platter.

IMG_6175.jpg

DH and I share the ribs and chicken platter.

IMG_6176.jpg

Kids of course get the hamburgers.

The view from where we sit.

IMG_6170.jpg

Now, the group wanted to stay only 2 hours or shorter, our group wanted to stay 4 hrs or longer. Majority compromised on 3 hrs. Sis wasn't happy. Oh well.

Snorkeling equipment was rental for 2 hrs. So we planned for the 1st hour on ordering and eating lunch, then snorkeling which worked. We weren't charged for the umbrella and chair. Apparently if you order food there's no further charge but we didn't ask. I did overhear someone next to me say that.

IMG_6162.jpg

Snorkeling pics. DH and sis took these.

IMG_0147copy.jpg

The reef floor didn't look good. Billy tells me if there's a lot of sea urchins or star fish, the coral isn't healthy. He may be right. But there was a lot they spotted in that 2 hrs.

IMG_0145copy.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153copy.jpg

Squid.

IMG_0151.jpg

Another sea slug top left corner.

IMG_0156copy.jpg

Yeah we have gone to Shipwreck beach both times we were in St Kitts. There has always been some cool fish there to see. It might not be the best snorkeling conditions but pretty easy access and lots to see. The bar and grill is pretty cool.... I like the feel of the area. Very laid back :cool: were the Monkeys and Mongoose (mongeese?? plural of Mongoose) still there chasing around.?

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Sea urchins and something else I wouldn't want to step on.

IMG_0179.jpg

I've heard about this guy with his monkey Max that comes to the beach and good stuff about him. When this guy comes around, I hear him call his monkey Max and so I approached him. He was asking $5 but I only had $2 dollars in my hand, so he accepted that.

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

@Dirkgun- yes there was mongoose at the feeding place but no wild monkeys seen.

IMG_6200.jpg

One last drink for the road.

IMG_6168.jpg

Last stop, Sir Timothy Hill. The Atlantic Ocean meets the Caribbean Sea. The left is the Atlantic, the right is the Caribbean.

IMG_6204.jpg

Gotta have a pic with me in it.

IMG_6213.jpg

The beach on the left was completely empty. I'm told the waters there were rougher, the Caribbean side was where most people stayed.

IMG_6214.jpg

Heading back to through the shops.

IMG_6218.jpg

Seeing the monkey people again.

IMG_6219.jpg

Our home on the water.

IMG_6221.jpg

Dinner tonite.

Menu says beef tomatoes with fresh mozzarella. Even the waiter admitted this wasn't a beef tomato but the appetizer was ok.

IMG_6226.jpg

This beef was tasty. Several of us had this one.

IMG_6232.jpg

DH had the fish. It did look overdone.

IMG_6230.jpg

Sis had oysters. DH is allergic so he passed on it.

IMG_6228.jpg

Mushroom soup was Billy's.

IMG_6227.jpg

That is too bad.... the monkeys were wild but being fed by the people that run the bar and grill at Shipwreck beach. They were in the same area as the mongoose.

IMG_0622.jpg

DSCF7222.jpg

DSCF7228.jpg

It looks like they have added a few tables with palm fronds tops for shade. At least according to your pictures... there were a lot more tables.

That is too bad.... the monkeys were wild but being fed by the people that run the bar and grill at Shipwreck beach. They were in the same area as the mongoose.

It looks like they have added a few tables with palm fronds tops for shade. At least according to your pictures... there were a lot more tables.

At the time I noticed the food on the hillside I only saw mongoose. I suppose that the monkeys come and go when food is provided.

Compared to your pictures there's double the amount of loungers and umbrellas. It does peeter out the further you go to the right of the beach if you want more peace and quiet and less crowds.

Thanks for posting such a great review! I'll be on the Victory on Sunday (squee!). I really appreciate all of the pictures and tips that you've provided. Can't wait to finish reading it when I get back. :)

Thanks, I'm hoping you are enjoying your cruise!

Awesome underwater Pic's .. What type of camera are u using?

The underwater camera I'm using is the Canon D20. I bought it at St. Thomas.

Thank you for taking the time to post such an awesome review. We took this same cruise in April, it is bringing back such wonderful memories. You have a beautiful family!

Thank you. They're all well behaved, including the hubby. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photo start -We have sailed Victory many times and my favorite itinerary.

I'm already looking into a cruise for the same time period next year and so far I'm agreeing with you there, I'm not sure if we can top this itinerary.

This was our last island before heading back to San Juan, Puerto Rico the next day. This also was the last chance for my sis and friend to go diving and they do. They ended up booking an excursion through Carnival and their time was going to be 8:30-12:0. I wanted them to use my camera but the camera was only geared for 33 feet max and they were planning on going to 100 feet so, no underwater pics. :mad:

The kids wanted to do Camp Carnival again so this day we dropped them off and...it was just me and DH! :eek: What to do????:confused: I had a couple of ideas so here we go:

DH and I were going to take the bus into Marigot for a look-see of the French side and be back for lunch on the ship. We would meet up and then decide what to do for the afternoon.

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

Looking back at the ship.

IMG_6276.jpg

Archived