Need advice on snorkel locations

lola4795

We're hitting Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Can anyone provide me with information on Snorkeling in these ports?

What I want to know:

Which port has the best shore snorkeling?

Which port has the best off shore snorkeling?

Thanks!

Belize is a great place to snorkel lots of coral and sea life. It and St. John's in the USVI are the best I've been to.

Cozumel was once wonderful but the hurricanses did severe damage to the reefs in the mid 2000's. I haven't been the last four or five years so I am not sure what has regrown. Coral is notoriously slow to regrow unfortunately.

Do not do the kayak snorkel in Cayman as it is in the middle of the harbor and there is just to much traffic for my tastes.

I haven't tried Roatan yet so I can't speak for it.

Unless you want to do cave tubing, which is fun also, I believe Belize is your best option.

I hope this helps a little.

Been to Roatan 3 times. First time, went off shore from the 'far side' of the island...poor conditions and very dangerous operations (we snorkelled for more 1.5 hours, no guide with known poor swimmers and non-snorkellers...lost site of the boats..etc)

last 2 times we went to Maya Key. Great place! Snorkelling off a pier was great, got to see lots, great guide. Good beach, not crowded. Loved it!

We are doing the same itinerary on our next cruise so I would like to see some of the answers since I have only snorkeled gran Caymen before. I will ay the excursion we took in grand Caymen to Barkers reff on the Luxury Yacht excursion was just fantastic. Not crowded at all and just beautiful reef and snorkeling and then after that the yacht took us to Starfish Beach which is pretty remote and again we were the only boat there and was just a nice excursion. The only bad thing was I wish we had got to snorkel longer. this year we are scuba diving in Caymen so would love to know the best spots in Rotan and Belize.

We're hitting Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Can anyone provide me with information on Snorkeling in these ports?

What I want to know:

Thanks!

We have had good shore snorkeling on Roatan (Tabyana Beach and West End) and wanted to do a boat trip with Upachaya Resort but we were too late to book. They only take about 10 people and are usually booked a month to 6 weeks ahead.

Cozumel shore snorkeling is fair from Money Bar, Chankanaab, Playa Corona, and Playa Uvas. The boat trips are better. We did one at Playa Palancar and had only 8 people on the boat. Eagle Ray and Mystic Divers both have good reviews.

Belize is best done from a boat although there is some shore snorkeling on Cay Caulker at the Split. Check out Coral Breeze. They have a good following.

Grand Cayman is fair at Cemetery Beach, Eden Rock, and Hamburger Reef( In front of McDonalds). To see the best coral you need to find a tour to the reef near Rum Point. But it will take some research to find the company that has a tour there. Nativeway took us to the Stingray Bar and then did a short snorkel trip over a small patch of coral, but it wasn't much.

As for the best, I would have to say Roatan from shore and Belize or Roatan for a boat trip. I saw some great pictures of the reef at Rum Point though.

What I want to know:

Thanks!

When r u going? I will be in all these ports except grand cayman the first week November and would be glad to get you current info. Was in roatan Cozumel grand Cayman in 1/10 and to tabayana, ray place in GC, and can't remember where i went snorkeling in Cozumel. Of those three tabayana was best. Looking at coral breezes for 11/12 which I too heard good things bout. Also planning on going to palancar this time in Cozumel and back to tabayana

Let me know if you want current info

Marsha

When r u going? I will be in all these ports except grand cayman the first week November and would be glad to get you current info. Was in roatan Cozumel grand Cayman in 1/10 and to tabayana, ray place in GC, and can't remember where i went snorkeling in Cozumel. Of those three tabayana was best. Looking at coral breezes for 11/12 which I too heard good things bout. Also planning on going to palancar this time in Cozumel and back to tabayana

Let me know if you want current info

Marsha

We're leaving March 3. Any info you can get me would be great!

Good snorkeling from shore at least 3 locations within a 15 minute walk from the tender pier at Grand Cayman. You can rent gear at Eden Rock 5 minutes walk to the left as you face the water, or another dive shop 5 minutes walk to the right by Wreck of the Cali. A boat trip to Stingray City with a snorkeling stop is also fun if you have never done it. There are decent places to snorkel from shore at places mentioned above at Cozumel, the beach clubs at Money Bar and Corona will watch your stuff and provide facilities for just buying some food and drinks. Poor snorkeling at Belize unless you take a boat to Caye Caulker (shark ray alley tour) or Ambergris caye a long way from Belize City. There is no snorkeling at Belize City. West Bay (by Tabayana resort) and Half Moon Bay have good snorkeling from shore in Roatan. Check out the Roatan board for tips on local independent tours and resorts.

Archived