Sickness Patches - (Transderm Scop)

ticktoneer

Can anyone tell me more about these sickness patches from experience please?

I'm doing a 23 day sailing on Independence shortly which starts with a TA going through the Bay of Biscay. I'm not usually sea sick but feel like I want to make double sure this time.

Thanks - Mark :-)

Yes I can. Be very careful with them. Long time ago I went on a fishing trip the boat was fairly good size but no where a big as a cruise ship I decided to wear one of those little dots (patch) that you place on your neck by your ear. We all arrived at the dock early and waited to board, all of a sudden I started to feel really bad, nauseous and hot. It kept getting worse, I was telling my wife about it and this person over heard the conversation and said "dude you better take that patch off it's probably what's making you sick". And sure enough I removed the patch and felt a lot better ( it took a couple hours though). Found out I didn't need it anyway.

I'd check with your doctor.

I'm one of the people the patch does not work on. I used it on my cruise in June and was miserable. Nauseous, and sleepy the entire cruise. Prior to trying the patch, I used Bonine. I will definitely be going back to bonnie for my November cruise. Some people swear by the patch. But just know that what works for others may not work for you. Always have a back-up plan. I didn't and my experience suffered.

See my post #27. It could have been the patch making you feel that way.

Mark,

scopolamine is a powerful drug so be careful if you decide to use the patch.

I have used the transderm scopolamine patch in my younger days, on one cruise it worked well with just some blured vision, on another I could not even see, or walk straight. Many people use them and they are OK with it and some are worse off. Maybe your doc can advise you.

Look at the link about scopolamine - it is a strong medicine:

http://rense.com/general38/frug.htm

That is what I had. A scopolmine patch.

I wore the patch on a cruise to Mexico. I all of a sudden started not feeling well so my DH and I went back to the ship. My one eye felt weird and when I got back to the cabin looked in the mirror and it was really dilated...the other being normal size. Looked like I had a major stroke. It took me a few minutes to realize my patch was off and make the correlation to what was happening with my left eye. It was pretty scary initially. One of the warnings for the patch is not to become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur. No wonder I could not get enough water when I got back to the ship. I had become overheated as well as getting some of the medication in my eye without realizing it. That evening finally the symptoms wore off, felt better, and my eye went down to normal size. I have not worn once since and luckily have not had any issues with motion sickness.

If you wear one wash your hands well. I aways did but you can lose the patch with bathing and sweating or if not put on correctly on a dry area behind the ear. Also some of those Caribbean and Mexican ports can be very warm and humid where you have an increased risk of being overheated.

Read the information on application and side effects. Better to be informed if you wear the patch.

Archived