Favorite Caribbean Brew?

Thomas M. Bottom

I really enjoy trying different local beers on the various island stops:Coronas in Mexico, Red Stripes in Jamiaca, Stingrays in Grand Caymen, Carib in St. Thomas, & Banks beer in Barbados. There was one in St. Lucia I cannot remember lol, but it was great! I'm sure there are a few I should try on future trips...

any suggestions mates?

I just had an icy cold Red Stripe yesterday. It brings me back to the Islands.

The beer in St. Lucia was Piton. That was pretty tasty. My BF drank a little too many and forgot his reading glasses on the bar.

Kuyuba, You got it! Piton Beer, ("ohhhhhhhhhh"in Homer Simpson voice, how couldI ever forget?!) I close my eyes & I can almost see the lush beautiful pitons. It takes me back to our Wonderful day on the beach there sippin a few chilled Pitons....good stuff

"Thanks for the memories"

angelCLR.gif.9b6c62acd4f1200e276cafde6a4be34a.gif

As this my first cruise, I can not answer which beer will be the best, But I hear good things about Banks Beer In fact I'm thinking about going to the Banks Beer Brewery tour?? Has anyone been there and was it a good Tour.

Please let me know and I will Drink my share of Beer and let everone know which one is best.

Thank you for the info. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We did try Banks Beer in Barbados, & did enjoy it. We were right across the street from the brewery, (very close to the cruise ship port) spent a few hours lounging there on the beach & in this small little restraunt & bar, I don't remember the name...Ask for Andy, he was awesome! I'm sure the locals know him, great guy...

Belikins in Belize! And try a michellata - kinda like a bloody mary only w/beer: ice in the glass, pour in some lime juice, worchestier (sp?) sauce and tobasco. Sprinkle in season-all, black pepper and celery salt. Pour in a Belikin. mmmmm!

hi Tom - I was only in Belize once for a cruise stop, but then last May we went and stayed 10 days on Ambergris Caye. It was nice. For our day in port, we did the river cruise/ruin excursion. Can't remember the specific name. That was fun. Got to see a lot of the country and wildlife. My time on Ambergris was great. Good food and drinks. Very small island and not a lot to do unless it is water related or just laying around and relaxing. Only one main street through the town of San Pedro. Lots of little shops. Anything specific you were wondering?

also noticed you are 'west of Chicago' - whereabouts?

If you are looking for different brews from the Caribbean here is a link that breaks it down by island. The information is not to that great but in the grand scheme of things most brews from the Caribbean are not the best over all but do fill in nicely during that hot day at the beach! If you ever get a chance and like stouts you must try the

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (7.5 ABV and full of flavor!), not the stout that we get here in America, as far as I know only available in the Caribbean.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/4/

Also I second the Balashi, nice cheap brew from Aruba. Also if you ever go to Belize try the Belikin, they make a lagar and a stout that are very nice.

Mmm Beer

• 5 months later...
hi Tom - I was only in Belize once for a cruise stop, but then last May we went and stayed 10 days on Ambergris Caye. It was nice. For our day in port, we did the river cruise/ruin excursion. Can't remember the specific name. That was fun. Got to see a lot of the country and wildlife. My time on Ambergris was great. Good food and drinks. Very small island and not a lot to do unless it is water related or just laying around and relaxing. Only one main street through the town of San Pedro.

Belize, Belikans, and Boil-Up-- Three B's that go well together.

Or, BBC: Belize, Belikans, and Conch-Fritters!

Red Stripe from Jamaica, makes me wan' go back Ocho Rios! (Yah, Mon!)

CapnCarp

NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Cruise 11/20/05

• 5 weeks later...
We also had an Amstel in Curaçao and loved it !!!

In Isla Marguarita, we had a Polar wich was very refreshing...

Alain R.

Small cans though, something like 250 ml / 8 ounces. We were there and bought a couple st a roadside stand on the way back to our bus. But a very nice beer.

Archived