What to do in Belize?

tripletsmommy

My family and I are taking the NCL cruise in November and I have been searching for what to do while in Belize, but nothing is looking interesting to me. I have 5 year old triplets and a 7 year old. So something to do with them...I heard that we shouldn't travel into town while in Belize, what is your opinion on this? Any suggestions on what to do? My husband and I agree that the ruins are not something they will be interested in. Not at this age. Thanks so much for any suggestions/advise!

Jen

My family and I are taking the NCL cruise in November and I have been searching for what to do while in Belize, but nothing is looking interesting to me. I have 5 year old triplets and a 7 year old. So something to do with them...I heard that we shouldn't travel into town while in Belize, what is your opinion on this? Any suggestions on what to do? My husband and I agree that the ruins are not something they will be interested in. Not at this age. Thanks so much for any suggestions/advise!

Jen

We have been there twice, both times booking excursions once on land. The first time we went on a snorkeling and Banister Island excursion and the next time cave tubing.

I wouldn't suggest cave tubing with your kids being the ages they are. My teenage kids necks hurt from holding their head up while on the tubes. They said it was ok, but gets boring quick. The snorkeling/Banister Island was awesome and we plan to do this excursion again in March. On the ship the price was $99 and we got it for $25 (we had a group of 15) for $25/ person. If you want more info on that let me know.

Belize has a nice zoo and howling monkeys in the jungle. I have the name of a tour guide that we've used twice before when in Belize. If you want his contact info, I can provide his email. It usually takes him 2-3 days to respond and he is the one who would give the tour. He was born there when it was British Honduras and can name every plant, tree and animal you might come across. Maurice is wonderful to listen to and loves his country very much.

Belize has a nice zoo and howling monkeys in the jungle. I have the name of a tour guide that we've used twice before when in Belize. If you want his contact info, I can provide his email. It usually takes him 2-3 days to respond and he is the one who would give the tour. He was born there when it was British Honduras and can name every plant, tree and animal you might come across. Maurice is wonderful to listen to and loves his country very much.

Yes, please do post Maurice's contact information. We are headed there next year and would like to hire a nature-oriented guide. Any information you can provide will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

We went to see the ruins at Lamanai with our boys when they were 6.5 and 4 yrs, but they are huge history buffs and loved the boat ride through the jungle, so it worked for us :)

I know other families on our cruise had a good time with Bannister Island or the local zoo. ITA it is not a port I would do on my own with young children.

I would do bannister island and snorkel -- the water is SO shallow - and if your kids don't want to be in long - they will bring up sea life to the boat and show them!!!! This is the world's 2nd Largest Barrier Reef -- soooo many cool photo ops!!!!

Yes, please do post Maurice's contact information. We are headed there next year and would like to hire a nature-oriented guide. Any information you can provide will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Here's Maurice's email: adventurebzetours@yahoo.com

Allow a 3-4 days for him to get back with you. We last saw him in January of 2009.

Go cave tubing, it is a blast. The walk through the rain forest before the tubing is absolutely beautiful. Other than that, stay on the ship. It is a poor island and I did not enjoynwalkingnaround the port. just my opinion:);):)

I took an excursion to bannister island in january. I thought the place was terrible. Beach was disgusting. you sink into something that is mud. Didn't see any fish. I thought the place was so bad that I even went up to the excursion desk and told them I wanted my money back. I have gone on about 10 cruises and have done many excursions and this was the worst. It is not a tropical island. I even heard many people complaining about the food (not getting service). Once you are there, you are stuck there until it is time to go.

We also did a cave tubing tour. I don't know if I'd call it awesome, but it was certainly enjoyable. Not the best excursion I've ever done, but definitely worth doing once. I'd give it a solid B on the grading scale, and probably dependent on who your tour guide is.

We took our kids to Bacab Eco Park. It was an excursion through NCL. We have four kids and they loved it. There is a nice pool with slides, an included lunch and we were given a guided tour of the jungle and given a tour of their butterfly conservatory. A local also brought a small monkey that the kids each held. We all enjoyed this excursion very much.

We also did a cave tubing tour. I don't know if I'd call it awesome, but it was certainly enjoyable. Not the best excursion I've ever done, but definitely worth doing once. I'd give it a solid B on the grading scale, and probably dependent on who your tour guide is.

That's why I recommended VIV Tours. They have great guides who really know the jungle and the river. They also have the best tubes. Head rests, mesh bottoms and they link together with clips and ropes so you don't have to link up with other people's feet. Gross. Also you get a longer ride on the river.

We have done many different excursions on our 7 cruises and our boys said this was the best. My wife and I agreed. It is truly unspoiled nature. I figure we can go to a beach or a pool anywhere, why not really experience what Belize is all about. We learned so much history and ecology of Belize. Truly rewarding.

We took the trolley tour the third time we had a port stop in Belize. It's open air and took us all around the neighborhoods with the guide pointing out many things. It was an eye-opener to see the extreme poverty of much of the town in comparison with the rich areas.

Your children might enjoy the trolley ride.

Archived