Rum Cakes

KMBB

What's your favorite rum cake?? We haven't try them yet, but we will be in Grand Caymen in June and want to bring some home. Any suggestions? Thanks, KMBB:)

I think there are two major brands. We only tried and bought Tortuga (terrific). I think the other is Blackbeard's or something similar (heard good things as well).

Favorite flavors? They are all good, but the Original and Pineapple are our personal choices. At the "factories", they will have samples of them all to try.

Definitely Tortuga, there is a small satellite shop just up the street from the pier (when you get off the tender, take a right, cross the street and walk about 3 blocks, right next to the Blue Iguana gift shop)

Personal favorites are chocolate, keylime, and the original. Still have 2 cakes left after returning on May 1st. Going to share them with friends on Cape Cod next week as we kick of Summer 2005!

Approximately how much $$$ are the rum cakes? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of bringing a bunch back to friends and family.:)

I think I paid around $14 for a 6 inch cake, but they are very dense (weigh about 1 lb). You can get smaller cakes, around 3 inches, for around $7 or $8 each. And they also have a 3 pack variety in both sizes, but I can't remember how much they were.

They do make a really nice (yet inexpensive) gift for family members. They travel easily as well since the boxes are pretty sturdy. Tortuga gives you a large, heavy duty plastic bag with handles that we just carried onto the plane.

I think I paid around $14 for a 6 inch cake, but they are very dense (weigh about 1 lb). You can get smaller cakes, around 3 inches, for around $7 or $8 each. And they also have a 3 pack variety in both sizes, but I can't remember how much they were.

They do make a really nice (yet inexpensive) gift for family members. They travel easily as well since the boxes are pretty sturdy. Tortuga gives you a large, heavy duty plastic bag with handles that we just carried onto the plane.

The Tortuga cakes were also available onboard the ship (Coral Princess). There were a variety of packages for sale and I believe they are even available on-line if you want to do a little research before you sail.

The Tortuga cakes were also available onboard the ship (Coral Princess). There were a variety of packages for sale and I believe they are even available on-line if you want to do a little research before you sail.

Thanks for the reminder, that's right, you could get them right on the ship, Explorer had them. It was neat going into the shop though, they had a long table of samples that made a great late afternoon snack!!

Thanks for the reminder, that's right, you could get them right on the ship, Explorer had them. It was neat going into the shop though, they had a long table of samples that made a great late afternoon snack!!

I also would rather go to the shops to sample the wares! Also, I think the cakes were a little less expensive onshore - bit I would not swear to it.

Archived