Anyone famous on your cruise?

celbercrz333

It wasnt on a cruise but we were at the Hedonism resort in Negril Jamaica in the early 90's. My husband called it a night early and I went to the empty game room and was playing Yahtzee... a guy came up to the table and asked if I wanted a partner. We played for hours and talked about all kinds of things. At the end of the night he said that it was so cool to "just be" and hang out with someone that obviously didnt know who he was. I said .. oh! who are you anyway?... He said Jerry Garcia....of the Greatful Dead..? I apologized for not recognizing him but he said that was the best part of the whole evening...just being able to hang out and be treated like a normal person...

I went back to the room and told my husband who promptly said i was full of it and the dude was probably lying about it...when we got home there was a news report that Jerry was trying to detox at a Jamaican resort :)

When he died I was truly saddened that the world has lost someone so talented and down to earth. RIP Jerry

Off the cruise subject for just a moment...this reminds me of what I guess you could call a blonde moment. Several years ago (early 90's), the receptionist where I worked was an avid Grateful Dead fan.

I could only say that I had heard of the band. She was definitely a Dead Head and would catch them in concert when she could.

One day, I picked up a call since our receptionist had stepped away from her desk. The caller was her sister, whom I had met. I explained that "Kelly" was away but that I would give her a message.

The message was "please tell her Jerry Garcia died". I was mortified! I couldn't believe that I had to tell our receptionist that someone, possibly her uncle???? named Jerry Garcia had died. !!!! :(

When she returned, I reluctantly relayed the message. When she didn't seem OVERLY upset, I just had to ask who Jerry was. I must say I was very relieved to hear that he wasn't a relative, but "just" the lead singer of the Grateful Dead.

Sorry all you Dead Heads out there!!

So here's my famous person onboard story: my very first cruise...on the Oceanic (of the now defunct Premier Cruise Lines) I was 18 or 19 and went with a group of 25 or so. Some were relatives, but I had a cabin with 3 friends. We boarded the ship and found our way to our cabin to find the cabin door ajar. We slowly opened it and heard music playing inside. Then we heard the noise of the shower and then noticed someone's belongings on the bed!! We quickly left the room and went to the Pursers Desk and explained our dilemna.

They explained that our cabin had been double booked and that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck had been assigned to our cabin by mistake. Some Disney characters were sailing with us as part of Disney's anniversary celebration.

We were re-assigned a cabin - a much nicer, bigger cabin. We actually had 2 port holes and 2 separate bathrooms. :) Others in our group with inside cabins came and "toured" our spacious cabin. :)

So, other than Mickey and Donald in our originally assigned cabin way back when....I was on the Millennium sailing with Paula Deen this past April 2-9. We saw her while waiting to board the ship on the first day. However, since I was not part of her group and not signed up through her website, we never saw her the whole week. I only saw her sons twice in a stairwell.

Phil Esposito.... back in the day when I was an avid Bruins fan... and he was such a Hunk!!! You lucky thang!! :D :D

I was just thinking the same thing. I loved Phil Esposito. He would have been the one I was most excited about seeing.

This wasn't on a cruise either but a pretty funny story.

My Wife and I were at "Teatro Zinanni" (kind of a musical Circe di Solei/cabaret thing with dinner) in San Francisco and, between courses, the performers would come around and chat with the audience. So we're sitting at a table for 5 and the lead performer in the show (wearing this really ornate Gypsy costume) squeezes in next to me, grabs my martini (my FRESH martini,) and gulps it down in one swallow. She chatted for a minute or two and got up and left. The lady sitting across from me was watching this thing with her eyes wide and her mouth hanging open. While I was wondering if I was gonna get a new martini, the lady sitting across from me asked "do you know who that was?" I said "ya, she's the lady who took my drink." "No," she told me "that was Joan Baez."

I never did get a new drink but I did keep the glass.;)

I'm not into celebs, as I've met a lot of famous people though my work...but reading this thread was funny, and I have two episodes to add:

The frist wasn't on a cruise, but it was on a ferry -- between Bridgeport, CT and Port Jefferson, NY. We were sitting next to Dee Snyder (Twisted Sister) and his family. Teenaged boys were screaming at him (cheering) while Dee tended to his daughter (seemed about 6 or 7) who had just lost a tooth. He was Dee the dad and then Dee the rock star. My husband and I were just cracking up.

A few years before, we were staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel in Fort Lauderdale and there was Pussy, from the Sopranos, laying out at the pool. NOBODY bothered him!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was on Pride of America on Sept 30,2006 and saw some cute basketball player(s) on board with their family. One father had a gorgeous little girl. Not sure if they were famous, but were pretty handsome!:p We never had a chance to speak to them...:rolleyes:

November 2005 we were on a cruise will a lot of race car driver, Ed Caroenter's, family. I happened to literally run into his mother, Mari Hulman George, when she stopped short in front of me. She wasn't very nice about it. She is owner/chairman of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I never saw Ed Carpenter but he was getting married in the Caribbean, I think St. Thomas, that week so they may have flown on to the island. I heard other drivers were on board too.

Every cruise that I have been on has had a celebrity on it. My husband. He is in a 60's group -The Devotions who made "Rip Van Winkle" & "For Sentimental Reasons" in the 60's. They still do shows & are on a PBS special "Red White & Rock".;)

I worked for a Real Estate in Long Island that sold Dee Synder his house.

I'm a people watcher, but don't get very excited when I see celebrities, but my wife does.

Cruise related, we ran into Martin Sargent, who used to have a show on TechTV. He now has a internet based show thats pretty funny that you download to watch.

Non cruise related, we ran into Galagher walking thru the AZ state fair a few years ago. He had just bought a bunch of items from local vendors that became props in his act later. Nice guy.

And on a trip to Vegas to see a concert by Linkin Park, we were in the Airport for our return flight and I got us bumped on an earlier flight. We went to the new gate and while waiting in line to board, we look over and the band was sitting right next to us waiting on their flight. They were funny. When their bodyguard would look our way, they would wave and get our attention, and when he looked back, they pretended like they were anoyed by us. My wife thought this was the best thing ever.

Our last cruise (June, to Alaska) was a sponsored cruise with the Seattle Seahawks. We had three players and their families on board. They were all really nice! AAA and HAL told us not to bother the guys when they weren't doing a preplanned, sanctioned event, but at the first event the guys told us to come say hi whenever we saw them out and about. "That's what we're here for" they said. Our next cruise in March is the second Seahawks cruise. The first one was SOOOO much fun, I'm really excited about this one too.

On a related note: I go to the same hairdresser as Julie from the Love Boat. Really.:)

Been on many cruises over the years, but never Celebrity. Was totally unaware that they offered a guest enrichment lecture type program. Our family boards the Galaxy and first off of course is the lifeboat drill. Everyone is lined up on deck as the crew are doing their counts and in front of my dd I see this short little woman. As soon as she opened her mouth, I recognized the voice of Dr. Ruth who was making chit-chat with the folks standing next to her!

I nudge dh..."hey, can you believe it is Dr. Ruth?" He replies, "no that cannot be her". We start chiding one another so I told him to ask her. I wasn't going to ask because I was not the person doing the doubting. :rolleyes: So when he was able to catch her eye he jokingly said to her that I (his wife) thought she looked like Dr. Ruth. With her big grin, she replied in her well known accent, "you should listen to your wife, because I am Dr. Ruth." Turns out she was one of the guest lecturers for our sailing.

On the first formal night a few days later she was in one of the lounges dancing with one of the dance hosts. My dd and I were able to talk dh into getting up the courage to ask her for a dance. He was shocked when she accepted and she seemed genuinly delighted. Afterwards, she was ever so kind as to pose with our dd for this photo.

drruth_sm.jpg

Archived