Mariner on 7/13/05

Daw6id, I am going to Alaska for the 3rd time next year, and have solicited family members to join me. One is interested in that Tracey Arm excursion, and I have never left the ship to do it. Can you tell me what are the advantages to not staying on the ship and doing it that way? On my first cruise, we did it in the afternoon, and then had chocoholic tea afterward, but next time, we were there in the early a.m., and I think that is the schedule next time. We will be there early, early in September, if that makes a difference for wildlife viewing.

• 4 weeks later...

We are 3 couples traveling on July 13 on the Mariner. We are the Altuglu's and will be in Suite 1018-B. We live in the Fort Lauderdale area and in Vail, Colorado, half and half. Our friends are from Doylestown, Ohio and Houston, Texas. Do look us up!

We have signed up for the following excursions: Wild Life & Beach Trek, Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Exp., Juneau's Glacier Helicopter Expl.& Evening Whale watching; Skagway Helicopter Expl., & Misty Fjords Seaplane Adventure. We are also going a week earlier and are taking the Alaska Popular Tour (the long one). Have fun!

jhp: I just came back from an Alaskan cruise on the Mariner. I took the Tracy Arm excursion where the catarman picked us up from the ship at the entrance to Tracy Arm. I can tell you that the ship didn't even get close to the glaciers because there was ice in the channel. The excursion did get real close and we also got close to waterfalls and other wonderful sites. This was probably our best excursion and I would strongly recommend it.

Ditto the Tracy Arm Catamaran recommendation. Just returned today and our group thought it was a major highlight (of course the blue skies and 70+ degree weather helped). Also enjoyed the Captain's Choice Wildlife Quest & Beach Trek in Sitka and the Adventure Hike in Juneau.

As for menu items not to miss -- the lamb in Signatures and the Halibut in Latitudes. Ask for a second night at Signatures -- we and several other groups ate there twice!

Archived