what would happen?

I know it is a long time to August but the whole Turkey and Seria thing is starting to look serious. What would happen if they went to war would they have to cancel the cruise since it is departing from there or would they change itineraries? Im looking forward to it and would be dissapointed if that were the case but would be totally justified if it was unsafe. Any ideas or insights.

Assad's Syrian government has more than enough problems to handle without seeking a military confrontation with Turkey which has one of the largest armed forces in NATO.

If it did come to an armed conflict, all airlines, holiday operators and tour companies etc. would immediately direct clients away from any potential danger - indeed, well in advance.

The Foreign Office issues regular advice.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/

Cruise itineraries are often having to be changed for reasons outwith the control of the cruiseline.

Two of our recent three cruise with Thomsons, Red Sea Magic and Idyllic Iberia had ports of call changed due to serious political unrest in Egypt and

strike action in Portugal respectively.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

The good thing about a cruise is that they can sail away from conflicts/hurricanes/problems etc I believe they can virtually change ports and itineraries at the drop of a hat and they have been known to just do this, sometimes without even any discernable reason?

the only real problem that will seriously disrupt a cruise is airline/baggage handlers/atc strikes or a volcanic ash cloud that will disrupt the flights even then a cruise will maybe try to bus you in as they did with the Island escape a year or so ago in Falmouth

I suppose there is always a slight risk that the ship can become damaged the Thomson Dream cancelled a block of cabins during the Cuba cruise 2 years ago at very short notice this was due to aircon/sewage problems in the cabins, from what I understand they cancel those that booked latest first and work back from there

the cruise lines will try every possibility before they will cancel a whole cruise, they are probably keener than we are that the cruise goes ahead, but they will never risk the safety of the ship and passengers

its unfortunate if you book a cruise for a particular itinerary and find it has been changed at short notice, but probably better to change ports than lose your holiday altogether

I too am a little worried, we are going to sharm in november for a belated family summer holiday, we did want to visit St Catherine’s Monastery but the FO is advising against travelling into Sinai....its a shame...a little disappointed, but best to heed the FO advice IMO

There is also the added threat of possible Israeli air attacks on Iran's nuclear construction sites. These were seemingly planned to take place before US election next month. I have read several articles in newspapers regarding this, however there is going to be a snap election in Israel soon, as the coalition cant agree on budgets apparently, so hopefully they might not think it wise to start a conflict with Iran...just yet. It's coming though, as the Middle East is one massive powderkeg just now:(

Tried to edit my previous post but it won't let me. From BBC News today Israel's election will be on 22/1/13 and quote "By bringing forward a general election, it could be that Mr Netanyahu hopes to renew or increase his mandate before any possible attack on Iran.":(

Archived