Dive Report: Belize

sea-jay

I recently returned from a cruise on RCI's Explorer of the Seas and dove in Belize and Cozumel. This report is for Belize while a separate report will be posted for Cozumel.

I am PADI certified to Advanced Open Water but, since I have only been diving for two years, have only 28 dives so far. You can see some of my dive photos on my Webshots page, the link is in my signature below.

Now for my report: I dove with some other divers I met on the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for our cruise. We signed up for the ship's dive as we weren't sure of the timing for the dive since we were told we would have at least a 45 minute run to the reef area. With two hours of drive time, two hous of diving, plus surface interval, if we had any boat problems, we could have difficulties getting back in time.

32 people signed up for the dive and the boat was only rated for 30 so the dive operator, Hugh Parkey's "Belize Dive Connection" sent a second, smaller boat also. We divided up into groups of 24 (for the larger boat) and 8 for the smaller one. Every 8 divers had a dive master assigned to the group. On the larger boat, the 24 divers were divided by experience category with the most experienced dive master assigned to the weakest group of divers. Fortunately, since I was Advanced Certified, I was in the intermediate group which gave us a little more freedom than strict follow-the-leader dive.

We piled on the boats about 9:30 and headed for the dive shop which was out on Spanish Lookout Caye, about 35 minutes from the Explorer's anchorage. There, we picked up what gear was needed, had a last pit stop, etc. and headed out for the reef for our first dive. This was another 35-40 minutes. We arrived at the site about 10:45, received a briefing on the water and site conditions and hit the water about 11:10.

We dove Chasbo's Corner site on Turneffe atoll reef first. This dive was multi-level to a maximum of 75 feet (second level at 45) for a total of 49 minutes underwater. Vis was 60-70 feet but there was a certain amount of debris (sand, etc) in the water. Surface air temperature was 86 and bottom temp. 82. Fish life was abundant but we didn't see any sharks or rays. Did see a couple of barracudas and morays but mostly was smaller reef fish.

Following the dive, we snacked on melons, cakes and banana bread. Lots of soft drinks and water available. (No beer for some reason!:) )

Our second dive site was named Elkins Bay - only about 20 Minutes away from the first site. We had a surface interval of a little over an hour and then back down. Air temp was 88 by this time and water temp was the same - 82. Dive was to 78 feet, again, for 49 minutes. Maybe it was just the air I was sucking but both dives lasted the same time according to my dive computer. This dive was similar to the first as far as sea life. Nothing big, no sharks, rays or turtles but lots of smaller reef life.

On a scale of 10, I would rate these dives as a 6 or 7. The reef was in great shape, vis was execellent, temperature was fine for just a shorty. I will certainly dive here again but probably in different locations since this reef system is very large and offers diverse opportunities.

I will report on my dive in Cozumel in a separate post.

Happy bubbles.

thank you for posting this dive and letting us know it was thru the ship, we picked belize over all the other stops to dive at and am now regretting it, we have already reserved jeeps in cozumel and our whole group (15) wants to do the jeep thing, cant change this now.

Belize is a great dive. You will enjoy it. The reef system is the largest barrier reef in the north and is surpassed only by Austrailia's Great Barrier.

If you cruise regularly, you will get to cozumel again. My next dives on a cruise are going to be in Grand Caymen.

However, I will be diving in Florida Keys two or three times more this year.

I have dived in Key Largo twice so far, in Lowe Key (just north of Key West) once and will dive there again in October. I have also dove on the Atlantic coast in Jupiter and Pompano Beach. I dove in Nassau on a cruise and will be there again in late November.

Sea-Jay-

Sorry to hear that your vis was so low on the atolls... when we did the inshore reefs last month, it was beautiful, but then, that's diving for you.

We're thinking of sneaking down to SF for some diving in a couple of weeks... wish us luck!

Wendy

Archived