Beach in Ocho Rios w/o excursion

palmbeachsurf

personally, I don't don't think it is wise to go to any public beach in Ocho Rios. Others will disagree of course.

Go to Dunns River Falls...stick with the tourists and hold on to the kids...and have another adult with you...one for each kid

What they said.

You'll want to do an official "excursion" at Ocho Rios...whether Carnival sponsored or private. We went to Dunns River Falls, and then a bus took us to Dolphin Cove. My daughter swam with the dolphins, and we spent a while on their beach. Lunch was included.

Check the Jamaica boards for your options. Do not "wing it" in Ocho Rios. But DO something....it's a beautiful island.

NOTE: the advice to "hold on to the kids" pertains to the waterfall...not Jamaica!!!!

We've hired Peat Taylor to take us to James Bond Beach, Mammee Bay, the Blue Hole and then somewhere for a jerk chicken lunch. We used him to go to Dunns River Falls 9 years ago and think he's great. He'll design something for you. Our tour is just $30. pp.

I would agree that your questions would best be answered on the Jamaica board.

I can say, however, that you should NOT try to take a 2-year-old up Dunn River Falls. The child can't navigate on their own and you can't carry them. There is, however, some sort of beach at the base of the falls. I got only a glimpse of it, but those on the Jamaica board can tell you if it is worthwhile going there with children the ages of yours.

I would agree that your questions would best be answered on the Jamaica board.

I can say, however, that you should NOT try to take a 2-year-old up Dunn River Falls. The child can't navigate on their own and you can't carry them. There is, however, some sort of beach at the base of the falls. I got only a glimpse of it, but those on the Jamaica board can tell you if it is worthwhile going there with children the ages of yours.

actually the mom or dad can walk with the 2 yo up the side stairs right next to the Falls and be able to enjoy the Falls while the 10yo can climb the Falls with the other parent.

There is a beach right where the ship docks in Ocho Rios. We have gone to this beach everytime we've gone to Ocho Rios. Just walk off the ship, down the dock to the port building. If you are facing the port building (with your back towards the ship), the beach is to the left of the port building. There is also a beach to the right of the building, but we have always gone to the beach that is on the left. There is a small fee like $3 per person.

We were in OR last week. We walked from the ship to Margaritaville and that was enough for us!!

At Dunn River Falls there is a BEAUTIFUL beach at the bottom. There were a few guys there trying to rent Jet Skis and sell stuff - however once you said "No Thank You" they left you alone pretty good. If you want to do the falls (climb or walk the stairs) you would be able to kill a few hours there in the beach.

Right at the port - I think.... back facing the ship:

Right - there is a beach in front of Margaritaville. Gated. $2-5 per person (can't recall). They also had some water sports you could rent. Margaritaville has a pool with slide so you could use it as home base. Very small beach.

Left - I think this was Turtle Beach. Gated. Again a small entry fee but a much longer beach. Looked very nice!

We went to Ochos Rios last year. We hired Courtney Taylor (highly recommend) for a private van to Bob Marley's/8 Mile and it was awesome.

On the way back, we asked him to bring us to a public beach near the port. We went to the same beach as oncruisecontrol, it was great.

A couple that we traveled with didn't join our Bob Marley trip, and instead grabbed a cab outside the gate and went to Reggae Beach. If I remember correctly, they paid something like $10/person for the beach and it came with an umbrella and chairs (don't hold me to that though) and the cab ride was inexpensive.

We loved Jamaica!!! Have fun.

We were in OR last week. We walked from the ship to Margaritaville and that was enough for us!!

At Dunn River Falls there is a BEAUTIFUL beach at the bottom. There were a few guys there trying to rent Jet Skis and sell stuff - however once you said "No Thank You" they left you alone pretty good. If you want to do the falls (climb or walk the stairs) you would be able to kill a few hours there in the beach.

Right - there is a beach in front of Margaritaville. Gated. $2-5 per person (can't recall). They also had some water sports you could rent. Margaritaville has a pool with slide so you could use it as home base. Very small beach.

Left - I think this was Turtle Beach. Gated. Again a small entry fee but a much longer beach. Looked very nice!

The walk down the pier/dock was crazy long wasn't it?!

Walking from the ship to Margaritaville and or to the Turtle Beach is that pretty safe? May have some elders and some kids with us possibly.

There is a beach right where the ship docks in Ocho Rios. We have gone to this beach everytime we've gone to Ocho Rios. Just walk off the ship, down the dock to the port building. If you are facing the port building (with your back towards the ship), the beach is to the left of the port building. There is also a beach to the right of the building, but we have always gone to the beach that is on the left. There is a small fee like $3 per person.

The beach to the left is it pretty private or are their people hassling you to buy things? Also, do they rent chairs or are they included in the entry fee? Thanks

Walking from the ship to Margaritaville and or to the Turtle Beach is that pretty safe? May have some elders and some kids with us possibly.

as long as you stay with in the gated community you should not be bothered

• 2 months later...
We went to Ochos Rios last year. We hired Courtney Taylor (highly recommend) for a private van to Bob Marley's/8 Mile and it was awesome.

On the way back, we asked him to bring us to a public beach near the port. We went to the same beach as oncruisecontrol, it was great.

A couple that we traveled with didn't join our Bob Marley trip, and instead grabbed a cab outside the gate and went to Reggae Beach. If I remember correctly, they paid something like $10/person for the beach and it came with an umbrella and chairs (don't hold me to that though) and the cab ride was inexpensive.

We loved Jamaica!!! Have fun.

Thank you for the info ! Do you think the tour would be the same with the cruiseline ? I thinking of booking it through Carnival. I know it will cost more and there wont be the perks of stopping additional places but the tour itself, do you know if it is the same ?

Thank you for the info ! Do you think the tour would be the same with the cruiseline ? I thinking of booking it through Carnival. I know it will cost more and there wont be the perks of stopping additional places but the tour itself, do you know if it is the same ?

The Bob Marley tour itself will be the same - your only difference (which to me is huge) is the transportation. Not only was it cheaper to use Courtney Taylor, but our tour was private, which also means we didn't have to sit on a bus to wait for it to fill with all of the passengers. We got to Bob Marley's fast and had only one other couple on the tour with us. When we went to leave, there was 3 buses and at least 100 people in line.

If at all possible, I would recommend using a private tour guide. It was such a cool experience, and the drive is gorgeous! (fyi - the road through Fern Gulley and 8 mile is narrow, winding and bumpy. Just have faith in your driver and go with the flow, they are used to this!)

Have fun! We almost planned a different cruise JUST so we could stop at Jamaica again, but in the end forced ourselves to try other ports. :)

Thank you so much for the info !! I heard too many horror stories about Jamaica and the road to the tour that I would be afraid of missing the ship ! I always use the private tours on the Islands but I think I will book through Carnival to be safe :) I hear there is also NO AC on those PACKEd busses !! :eek: I am booking this cruise JUST for the BOB tour !! I hope it works out because you never know if you will stop at your ports.... But we choose a great ship too so it will be fine :) If somehow we miss our port that will be a great excuse for another cruise !!! ;)

The Bob Marley tour itself will be the same - your only difference (which to me is huge) is the transportation. Not only was it cheaper to use Courtney Taylor, but our tour was private, which also means we didn't have to sit on a bus to wait for it to fill with all of the passengers. We got to Bob Marley's fast and had only one other couple on the tour with us. When we went to leave, there was 3 buses and at least 100 people in line.

If at all possible, I would recommend using a private tour guide. It was such a cool experience, and the drive is gorgeous! (fyi - the road through Fern Gulley and 8 mile is narrow, winding and bumpy. Just have faith in your driver and go with the flow, they are used to this!)

Have fun! We almost planned a different cruise JUST so we could stop at Jamaica again, but in the end forced ourselves to try other ports. :)

Archived