capri from Citavecchia?

HappyMe_

Google says it is 153 miles from Rome to Naples (driving). Then of course you have to take the hydrafoil from Naples to Capri,

another hour on the water. If you check the regular Italy guidebooks - Frommers, Fodor's, Lonely Planet, you can find a website which will give you the hours of hydrafoil sailings. So it might be barely possible to hire a (fast) Italian tour service to drive you down in time to catch the hydrafoil - always hoping you can get a return trip back to Naples which will give you enough time to get back to the ship! Sounds pretty dicey to me! Capri is beautiful, not only for the Blue Grotto, but Tiberius' villa and a generally laid back atmosphere. Trying to "do Capri" in a hurry is sort of self-defeating.

Tiberius' villa! Where are the castles and palaces of the Roman emperors, the only ones who had ruled a truly united Europe? When we went to Rome (Barcelona to Venice in April last year), nobody showed us any castles. Does anyone know why? Thank you.

I agree with the previous message. You really would not want to try going to Capri from Citavecchia. Whether you took the train or hired a driver to get you to Naples I do not think it would be worth your effort.

Capri is a place where you need more time to enjoy its beauty. If you were docked at Naples or Sorrento, it would give you a little more time. Even then it might be rushed. You might not even have time to go up to Annacapri which is where Tiberius' villa is located. We spent 5 days in Capri and I could've stayed another 5!

Had to look too Meow.. here is what I found.. darn missed something.. which means we gotta go back to Rome..

(yippee)

this site mentions towns ( but is geared to restaurants).. but hey.. what is the "REAL" point of travel ??

http://www.romanhomes.com/why_rome/restaurant_guide7.htm

P.S. possible that it could also mean Castlegandolfo < sp>?

That is the popes "summer" home..

What we know as castles - the kind found in Germany, France, England and Scotland; were built as fortresses in the early midddle ages until the end of the Renaissance. They were military necessities for local rulers. The Greek and Roman rulers did not need such buildings for their protection. The very wealthy, and the Roman Emperors therefore built lavish homes such as Tiberius's Villa. But most of these were destroyed when the Goths invaded Italy in the fourth and fifth century A.D. Remember learning about "The Dark Ages" in your history classes? Also, the materials used were local limestone and marble, and simply don't last as well as the granite and stone used in northern Europe, especially after 1200 or 1500 years.

Thank you. However, since Egyptian pharoahs (?) built large pyramids (for death) centuries earlier, it is "unusual" that Roman emperors didn't build many lasting grand palaces (for living)!

Archived