Help... need to rebook.. hurricane related

jlc1012

My sister is booked for the Jewel, Nov. 11. During Sandy, her house sustained alot of damage. She called NCL today to try and rebook for a later date. The woman she spoke to said the only thing that could be done is cancel and refund 1/2 of her money.

So, I'm just wondering if you think that is the final answer, or should she try and talk to someone else. Her DD13 has been looking forward to this for the past year. She would like to still make it possible for her, just at a later time.

While I agree wholeheartedly that travel insurance is a must, specifically for situations like this, I will not chastise. I will recommend that your sister call again, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain her circumstance calmly and clearly, as well as her intent to simply re-book the same voyage for a later date. Make sure it is very clear that she is looking to simply move her reservation to a later date. She needs to remain as calm and professional as possible.

I know of at least one person who was able to accomplish something similar when a disaster struck their immediate family. I can't guarantee that your sister will be successful, but I do know that it is certainly worth the effort to request a supervisor and plead her case. The key will be to request a later sailing, not a refund.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for her. ;)

While I agree wholeheartedly that travel insurance is a must, specifically for situations like this, I will not chastise. I will recommend that your sister call again, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain her circumstance calmly and clearly, as well as her intent to simply re-book the same voyage for a later date. Make sure it is very clear that she is looking to simply move her reservation to a later date. She needs to remain as calm and professional as possible.

I know of at least one person who was able to accomplish something similar when a disaster struck their immediate family. I can't guarantee that your sister will be successful, but I do know that it is certainly worth the effort to request a supervisor and plead her case. The key will be to request a later sailing, not a refund.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for her. ;)

This is probably the best approach. Hopefully they can do something for her.

Please tell her not to give up. The person at the other end of the line was following a scripted protocol. That is what they tell everyone. This is a bit different, and needs to be treated as such. NCL may not have considered cruisers in her shoes or special provisions to deal with cruises beyond this week who were seriously impacted by Sandy. Letting the higher ups know that there is a need for additional consideration just may enlighten those with authority to provoke an extenuating circumstances policy.

Send Mr. Sheehan an email. Tell him you still want to sail, but right now as you need to cover the basics. Ask to speak with supervisors only if you call NCL. Your sister is not the only one, and I am sure that there is a satisfactory solution for everyone.

I wish your family the very best,

Cherie

It doesn`t say clearly in the OP`s post who the original booking was made through - a TA or NCL - only that she called NCL.

And I certainly echo the other comments about clearly explaining the situation and as someone else posted NCL and the other cruise lines will likely become a bit more flexible as the recovery efforts proceed slowly and they have more people needing to change plans.

Cheers

Dennis

Please tell her not to give up. The person at the other end of the line was following a scripted protocol. That is what they tell everyone. This is a bit different, and needs to be treated as such. NCL may not have considered cruisers in her shoes or special provisions to deal with cruises beyond this week who were seriously impacted by Sandy. Letting the higher ups know that there is a need for additional consideration just may enlighten those with authority to provoke an extenuating circumstances policy.

Send Mr. Sheehan an email. Tell him you still want to sail, but right now as you need to cover the basics. Ask to speak with supervisors only if you call NCL. Your sister is not the only one, and I am sure that there is a satisfactory solution for everyone.

I wish your family the very best,

Cherie

I would suggest adding a picture ( preferrably with your family) of your home before the storm and then after the storm.

Archived