Getting to Toulon

Riggy84

Hi Everyone,

I'm researching my next cruise for Liberty of the Seas for the summer and working out what is more cost effective and easy, embarking at Toulon or Barcelona.
Barcelona looks pretty self explanatory, fly and then get a cab to the port.
Toulon, however, looks a little more complicated, but possibly more interesting.
The nearest airport, Toulon-Hyeres is virtually impossible to get to from the UK as it involves a 5+ hour stopover at Paris as well as a change in airports in Paris!
So the nearest airport is Marseille.

From my research, cabs are just far too expensive, being so far away. I have seen a train which looks quite easy and less than 2 hours. Has anyone had any experience of these trains? From my (brief) research, it seems like quite a cheap way of getting there.
I also had a quick look at trains from London-Toulon and think these might come out cheaper than flights, and although its about an 8 hour journey, think it might be an interesting journey. Though the one site i saw, wouldn't let me do a mock booking so far in advance (only about 119 days in advance, if that!) which might be a concern.

So my main question is, are the trains reliable?
Any other suggestions on how to get to the port are welcome.
Also any pro's and cons for embarking/disembarking both ports will be much appreciated. I gather that Toulon will be easier as less people will be changing here and that Barcelona will be quieter (Well, at least until the masses turn up!!)

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Archived