Dunn River Fall guide quesion

familytravelx5

Hello,

It's been 27 years since my last visit to DRF. This time my family of 5 is scheduled to tour with Marva Shaw in two weeks. I have a question about DRF and the guides. I think our MS guide will wait by the vehicle. Are we required to have a guide to walk the falls? How do you easy get around that? I'm trying to prepare for enough cash, how much are the guides if they get pushy?

Thanks!

You are not required to have a guide. I believe the guides are volunteers who work for tips, so you shouldn't have to worry about one demanding money. To get around them, just walk with purpose to the beach. If you look confused, someone will be happy to "help" you join a tour group. ;) If anyone does try to get you to join a group, politely say, "No thank you--we're going to the beach." Once you're at the beach, watch for a break in the tour group human chains & go for it!

Do you remember the falls well enough to have a climbing path in mind? If not, you can always offer one of the guides $10 or $20 to take only your family up. (This probably works better in the afternoon when the falls should be less crowded.) We went straight to the beach & watched for a while in order to formulate a plan of attack, but I was too chicken to just go it alone. :( So we got a "private guide" to take us up once, and then we went up again without a guide. :D LOTS of FUN!

Hope you & your family have a great time!

Hello,

It's been 27 years since my last visit to DRF. This time my family of 5 is scheduled to tour with Marva Shaw in two weeks. I have a question about DRF and the guides. I think our MS guide will wait by the vehicle. Are we required to have a guide to walk the falls? How do you easy get around that? I'm trying to prepare for enough cash, how much are the guides if they get pushy?

Thanks!

Yes, your tour guide with Marva Shaw (We had her son Javier) will wait with the vehicle. You can safely leave items in the car/van. Dry clothes, towels, etc. The Falls guides get very pushy. Try to get there early before the tour buses arrive.

Thank you both for the replies! We are getting very excited but just have to get final things worked out. I don't remember the path I took up the falls many, many, many...years ago so walking with purpose and watching the other groups is a VERY good idea. I will at least be prepared with $ if it goes that direction.

Kat, I asked to have Javier too when I made my reservation. My husband has to deal with 1 pre teen, 2 teens & me all the time so I asked for a guy--specifically Javier. I hope we do get him. I am so up in the air about what we are going to ask to do/see while we're there. The only thing for sure is DRF. I guess we'll wing it from there. and a big Hi, from Colorado too!

Jackie - Have a wonderful cruise. Javier was terrific. Very friendly and helpful. He let us tell him what we wanted, and he drove us around. If you like coffee, he'll take you to buy bags of Blue Mountain Coffee - wonderful! Two of us are vegetarian, and he took us to a great vegetarian place for lunch.

Where in Colorado? We're Fort Collins, and are planning our next cruise for Jan.

Kat,

love coffee! that would be good also want to go to Scotchies...I'd like to get off the beaten path maybe even visit a school and markets. Originally when we booked to Jamaica (the rest of family wanted to go) I was not excited because of my experience way back when. I am looking forward to getting away from the craziness of the tourist areas with Javier.

Lafayette... so very close!!

Where to in January??

Hello,

Thanks!

Just had to tell you that I LOVE Marva! I've yet to meet her son, Javia, but am hoping to do so during our stop in Jamaica over Thanksgiving week. We have them booked for the day for our family of 25's private tour! Please tell them that Michele (that's me!) says hello. They will know who I am. :)

Hi Michele,

I am glad to hear glowing reports!! I will mention your name if I can remember :) I will be there the 19th. What day are you there?? Right now I am waiting for a flight home from Phoenix and we leave thurs for fll. I know I will forget MANY things next week!! Have a great time!!!

Hi Michele,

I am glad to hear glowing reports!! I will mention your name if I can remember :) I will be there the 19th. What day are you there?? Right now I am waiting for a flight home from Phoenix and we leave thurs for fll. I know I will forget MANY things next week!! Have a great time!!!

Don't worry about remembering - it's your vacation! :)

We leave out of Ft. Lauderdale on the 19th, so we'll miss you by a few days. I think we'll be in Jamaica on Wednesday. Have a great time! Please let us know how you enjoyed your tour when you return.

My family is leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on the 19th (Liberty) as well. We haven't booked a tour yet. We will have 7 of us, my husband & I, our 4 children (ages 6,11, 13, 14) and my mom age 74. We want to do the falls, but are trying to find the best price and also, since it's so late, whatever is available. Which tour are you taking in Jamaica this time? Thanks!!!

My family is leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on the 19th (Liberty) as well. We haven't booked a tour yet. We will have 7 of us, my husband & I, our 4 children (ages 6,11, 13, 14) and my mom age 74. We want to do the falls, but are trying to find the best price and also, since it's so late, whatever is available. Which tour are you taking in Jamaica this time? Thanks!!!

Nevermind... now that I'm reading my other threads, I can see the answer to my questions, Michele. Thanks for the advice!

No problem. :)

For anyone interested, we're touring with Marva and going to Dunn's River Falls and tubing down the White River. We'll have lunch at a local restaurant too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Michele and everyone!

we had a great time with Marva! I said hi from you --- she laughed and said oh, yes I know Michele, she's my girl!! There was a little chaos at the bus pickup but once going it was fantastic. I had requested Javia but we got the boss lady herself and could not have enjoyed the experience more. THe history and facts she told us were priceless. We went to Dunns River falls and did not use or need a guide. We beat the crazy rush of bus loads and took our time up the falls and took many pictures ourselves or with help from other tourists. After that we ate at a local restaurant, shopped, went up the hill for scenic views, got to see the varied non tourist areas of Ochi, shopped some more :rolleyes:. She helped us with bargaining and things to look for. Highly recommend Know Jamaica tours. My DH and kids 19, 16, 12 also really enjoyed the personal service. Hope you had a great time too.

Hi again, Michele and everyone!

we had a great time with Marva! I said hi from you --- she laughed and said oh, yes I know Michele, she's my girl!! There was a little chaos at the bus pickup but once going it was fantastic. I had requested Javia but we got the boss lady herself and could not have enjoyed the experience more. THe history and facts she told us were priceless. We went to Dunns River falls and did not use or need a guide. We beat the crazy rush of bus loads and took our time up the falls and took many pictures ourselves or with help from other tourists. After that we ate at a local restaurant, shopped, went up the hill for scenic views, got to see the varied non tourist areas of Ochi, shopped some more :rolleyes:. She helped us with bargaining and things to look for. Highly recommend Know Jamaica tours. My DH and kids 19, 16, 12 also really enjoyed the personal service. Hope you had a great time too.

Glad you had a great time! Marva mentioned that she had a tour earlier in the week with a "hello from Michele." :)

We toured with her - 22 of us went, and they handled us perfectly. Marva met us, but Javia was our driver/guide for the day. This was the first time I met him, and he was great. We went to the falls as well - they were busy as we went a little later in the day, but still a lot of fun. A must do, I think.

Thanks again for giving Marva and KnowJamaica a chance - they earn their money and provide a great experience.

We will be there in January. How cold are the falls when you are climbing? thanks

Can't speak for January but being from Colorado and having only cold lakes to boat/swim in, I was in heaven in the falls. I never felt chilly once (my kids & DH always give me a hard time about how cold I am most times and usually don't get near the water unless it's like bath water :rolleyes:). We had a great time!

We will be there in January. How cold are the falls when you are climbing? thanks

It feels a little cool when you first get in, but you quickly get used to it. It's very refreshing! For the record, I've been there in February, March, and November and other family members have been in January - we all feel that the water felt similar each time we went. Have FUN!

Archived